Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I think, more leavers living in Tory strongholds got what they wanted,cos although not exclusively a right of centre thing, Brexit is more appealing to the conservative mindset. I know I will now get shouted down because of all the northern Labour seats that voted Brexit, but, still more Labour seats voted remain, than leave.

...and I believe that most people who voted Labour in 2015 voted remain in 2016.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Brexiteers want to stop people coming to live here.

Rubbish, they want the sensible option of asking whether or not we have a need for the people who want to come here, not what they want.

We want to retire to Italy but it will be on the back of us selling up here and then living off our savings/occupational pensions, not taking anything from the Italian State (mind you it is so corrupt I don't think anyone does!).

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Anyway - back on topic - here's one of the best things about Europe

AK.jpg

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
We want to retire to Italy but it will be on the back of us selling up here and then living off our savings/occupational pensions, not taking anything from the Italian State (mind you it is so corrupt I don't think anyone does!).

I'd had the same idea. But if I've paid tax in the UK all my life, why shouldn't I receive healthcare from another EU country provided we reciprocate? I'm not living off their state, I'm just getting it back from a different part of the EU. That will all go.

Like I said - it's only those of us lucky enough to have become relatively wealthy who'll be able to experience living abroad in future. Shame for our kids.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think, more leavers living in Tory strongholds got what they wanted,cos although not exclusively a right of centre thing, Brexit is more appealing to the conservative mindset. I know I will now get shouted down because of all the northern Labour seats that voted Brexit, but, still more Labour seats voted remain, than leave.

No shouting down from me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'd had the same idea. But if I've paid tax in the UK all my life, why shouldn't I receive healthcare from another EU country provided we reciprocate? I'm not living off their state, I'm just getting it back from a different part of the EU. That will all go.

Like I said - it's only those of us lucky enough to have become relatively wealthy who'll be able to experience living abroad in future. Shame for our kids.

That will be Remain then-we leavers are all thick and mere peasants.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of course. What I mean is - it's likely I'll only be able to go and live in Europe if I waive any right to healthcare/social security etc while living there. So in effect I'll need to be able to afford private medicine and be already wealthy. In other words, only the rich will be able to experience this in future. Which is a shame.

what healthcare and social security do you think you currently entitled to in EU? you'll find in most you'll pay or at least contribute to healthcare beyond A&E (unless destitute) and social security is only available if you've paid in to the country's scheme. unless you're working, you have to have indepedent means, so you'll be relativly wealthy to live abroad today.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I didn't say that and I don't think that.

I know you did/do neither,just stereo typing,that said Remain have the financial potential (to move overseas) far more,it could be argued than leave....

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Who wants 'guests' that rely financially on the host country they move to?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
what healthcare and social security do you think you currently entitled to in EU? you'll find in most you'll pay or at least contribute to healthcare beyond A&E (unless destitute) and social security is only available if you've paid in to the country's scheme. unless you're working, you have to have indepedent means, so you'll be relativly wealthy to live abroad today.

Of course. At the moment, if I was, say, 21 and went to live and work in France I could do that. I'd naturally be expected to pay tax. But, after a period of qualification, I'd be eligible for state support in the form of social security and healthcare if I became ill or suddenly unemployed. In short, the safety net would be there for me.

Will that continue? It's more likely the threshold for help will be much higher. I may need a sponsoring employer before I get a work visa, I may need to show I can afford private healthcare. So people who work for international banks will probably still find it simple. But my many friends and relatives who've gone to live and work abroad without that kind of corporate arrangement, probably won't be able to do any more.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Of course. At the moment, if I was, say, 21 and went to live and work in France I could do that. I'd naturally be expected to pay tax. But, after a period of qualification, I'd be eligible for state support in the form of social security and healthcare if I became ill or suddenly unemployed. In short, the safety net would be there for me.

Will that continue? It's more likely the threshold for help will be much higher. I may need a sponsoring employer before I get a work visa, I may need to show I can afford private healthcare. So people who work for international banks will probably still find it simple. But my many friends and relatives who've gone to live and work abroad without that kind of corporate arrangement, probably won't be able to do any more.

There is, and always will be, a world beyond Europe where people have ventured without 'safety nets' before.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Who wants 'guests' that rely financially on the host country they move to?

See my other posts. No one should simply be able to move to another country and start living off the state. (That's not possible now unless you're granted asylum or unless you're awaiting the outcome of an immigration application. And even in those cases the support is minimal).

But what's wrong with going to work in another country and, after a qualifying period, having the right to fall back on support if you suddenly need it. Meanwhile, your home country is offering the same arrangement in reverse to others.

Without this system, only people with considerable assets can live abroad.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I know you did/do neither,just stereo typing,that said Remain have the financial potential (to move overseas) far more,it could be argued than leave....

It's more an age/generational thing isn't it? Those of us who've been lucky enough to be employed, buy a home and build a pension pot can afford these luxuries. Our kids. less so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here