Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Sun at it again?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All very true, but because of that surely Mr Thomas should have been more mindful of whom he did confide.

It's a private situation happening to someone with a very public persona.
He had full control over the situation yet it still happened, because of his persona his news would be reaching his parents sooner rather than later, the moment he opened up about it to someone else.

I disagree totally. One of my friends is gay and has yet to tell his family. That's his choice and it should be respected, as is the case with Gareth Thomas, not sold to a shite newspaper read by idiots and bigots.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I disagree totally. One of my friends is gay and has yet to tell his family. That's his choice and it should be respected, as is the case with Gareth Thomas, not sold to a shite newspaper read by idiots and bigots.

You can't totally disagree and have me completely agree with you!

All I'm saying is the gutter press, the rags, the tabloids don't play by the rules of 'normal' people.

I know that, you know that, we all know that.
For all I know Gareth may have already been in this situation before.

Its shite, proper shite but nothing has changed over my 40+ years no matter how many enquiries and outrages there have been.
To that end unfortunately for the likes of Gareth they have to be mindful of the scum nipping at their heels.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Although it does beg the question:-

How many people that weren't his parents did he tell before not telling them?

Ffs. It does not beg this question. It really doesn’t.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

All I'm saying is the gutter press, the rags, the tabloids don't play by the rules of 'normal' people.

Its shite, proper shite but nothing has changed over my 40+ years no matter how many enquiries and outrages there have been.
To that end unfortunately for the likes of Gareth they have to be mindful of the scum nipping at their heels.

I have no doubt whatsoever he was mindful. What is the point you are trying to make?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All very true, but because of that surely Mr Thomas should have been more mindful of whom he did confide.

It's a private situation happening to someone with a very public persona.
He had full control over the situation yet it still happened, because of his persona his news would be reaching his parents sooner rather than later, the moment he opened up about it to someone else.

So to clarify. You're saying he was in complete control of this private, sensitive information. He discussed it in confidence with a close friend / friends. This information then got out.

Ergo - his fault ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Classic victim blaming.

What are you talking about?

I've consistently blamed the press for playing this shite game with other people's lives.
But it's a game they've been allowed to play for so so many years, at some point the people most effected by this trash can't just assume 'oh they won't shat on me'.

They will.
They do it all the time.
We hate the intrusion.
They apologise in 3 lines on page 20.
Then they do it again.

For all I know, and I don't care enough to find out, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gareth hadn't been in this situation before.

With all that in mind, after speaking to friends, Gareth needed to protect the actual victims and he didn't.
Again it's appalling he should have to think that way, but sadly until something is properly done about press intrusion then that's the devil he and thousands others play with, for the titillation of countless others.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Although it does beg the question:-

How many people that weren't his parents did he tell before not telling them?

Oh as Tom would say......... ‘ he’ll be disappointed with that effort.’

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

I find it hard to believe Thomas parents didn't know he was gay. He's been coming out and discussing it on TV documentaries that I have seen.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I find it hard to believe Thomas parents didn't know he was gay. He's been coming out and discussing it on TV documentaries that I have seen.

They knew he was gay. They didn't know he had HIV. There is a huge difference.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I hope he sues The Scum for getting the difference wrong between HIV and AIDS. He certainly has grounds to get legal action taken against that shite newspaper.

Incidentally I'm reading a book on the Hillsborough tragedy and the Sun's lies on that dreadful day. I learnt something that was so disgusting that I won't put it on here - worse even than stealing from the dead Liverpool fans.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People get very uptight over certain stories but you can’t pick and choose or at least if you do then you’re a hypocrite. I don’t see newspapers as a single entity. I rarely read every section but don’t demand I only pay x amount because I want to read y section only. People throw the same arguments at the BBC ‘why should I pay my TV licence when I don’t get, or don’t want blah blah’. It’s a nonsense argument. Used to laugh at people who judged me as Tory, posh etc just because liked the Telegraph. I did because I wanted to read the finest sports writers in the land, I envied Winter, Hayward and co from an early age. In contrast to tabloids which were just quotes and stings, rarely describing the match play or investigating issues. Never felt like you got any value for money with tabloids, like a McDonald’s it was all over in seconds and still felt hungry where’s a broadsheet you could sit down and actually read something for half an hour or longer. That’s why I bought them from an early age, it was the Sport. Not because the editor was labour or conservative. Equally sure plenty people disliked the Stokes story, but love the other celebrity features in the Sun. Don’t under estimate how much of it is also a habit. Papers have strong brand loyalty.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just heard a 5 live interview with Gareth Thomas on this. Top man.

The Sun. You truly are scum. Any admission or apology from them? Any commitment to learn and improve? No thought not

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just heard a 5 live interview with Gareth Thomas on this. Top man.

The Sun. You truly are scum. Any admission or apology from them? Any commitment to learn and improve? No thought not

There was a theory mentioned (on here I think) that GT is going through the legal process, which is why HE hasn't named them – and maybe the other way around.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I just cannot fathom why people still buy this paper. It's astonishing. It also say a lot about the intelligence of the average member of the general public.

Only way I see it, will offend some but hey ho, snowflakes.

Anyone who works as a journalist for them are scum.
Anyone who reads that rag is immediately deemed thick.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here