Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I actually agree with you, my point was that putting more blame on Remainers than Brexiteers for voting against Brexit when BOTH sets did so is ludicrous.
Well yes, the attributing of blame in this thread is only matched by the politicians themselves.

No one foresaw quite what a mess of it the politicians would make. A lot of mistakes have been made, and blame lies with many.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No I agree, but right now they're giving us our best chance of remaining in the eu so are worthy of support

I know that makes sense.

But other than the SNP, LibDems and some Labour/Tory outright Remainers such as Ken Clarke and Starmer, the vast majority of other Tory/Labour MP's talk about the "type of exit deal and future relationship with the EU". Norway Plus, et seq, et seq.

Why don't they all say "back to the way it is/was"?

My hunch is that they lying and do want full EU membership, but won't come clean to their constituents, fearing personal political suicide.

I know NSC'ers will disagree, but we are in a Remain bubble here, along with London, Bristol and some big cities. Many voters in the likes of Essex, Thanet, Burnley, Lincs, Medway, large parts of Wales, Sunderland, Boro, most of Yorkshire, most of West Midlands, rural areas are anti EU. We can arrogantly dismiss them as inferior to the people of Brighton and Hove, but they control so many vital marginal seats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Jesus. There’s some total cranks posting comments on that Tweet. :lolol: Guido certainly attracts a certain “type” of Brexiteer doesn’t he. I don’t know much about him, does he also cover things like the moonlandings?

Blimey :facepalm:

strewth.JPG

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

I actually clicked through to Guido's site, not something I often do or recommend. THIS is the whole of the story:

Guido sources say that in his meeting with the Prime Minister this morning, Philip Hammond let it slip in the heat of the argument that he had received legal advice. Speaking in the heat of the moment in a fiery conversation, the former Chancellor cracked out the line “well the EU’s legal department have told me…” when defending his decision to in effect vote no confidence in the Government. It was suspected by many Brexiteers that he was working in concert with Barnier, bold of Hammond to just come out and say it…

That's it.

And the comments under the twitter post....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Same as [MENTION=36111]Klaas[/MENTION], absolutely baffling how anyone could conclude that makes him a weasel. :shrug:

Just for the benefit of us sane people, can you explain how that makes him a weasel? This is a man who worked to try and get a deal done and repeatedly had it voted down. With that deal, we'd have been out of the customs union, out of the single market. Only Northern Ireland would have been left in, and they voted to remain anyway. :shrug:

At the end of the day, people like you just will not accept that a no deal Brexit would be disastrous, despite the mountains of evidence suggesting that it probably would - and now that's all his fault? ???

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
B.J gets a kicking for preparing for a no deal Brexit if he has to.
I am no expert but surely , if you say to the EU " we would like to leave , but only if you give us a good deal, otherwise we might stay in" ..... the other side are just going to sit tight and concede nothing - just so we will stay.
It is only by showing that we are determined to go that we might get something .
Or please tell me what I am missing.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
[tweet]1169123744058683394[/tweet]

You'd imagine them to still have the same, or similar, numbers in a months time though.

Both Sturgeon and Blackford have Tweeted about getting the GE before Proroguement now, 289 Cons, 10 DUP, 35 SNP = 334, assuming no rebels and no other opposition MPs vote for it. That's well short of the 433 needed by the FTPA. If that fails, we'll have see if the Government bring forward a bill that just needs a simple majority, although I believe that would be amendable...

Labour now saying they are now looking at after 19 October.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Same as [MENTION=36111]Klaas[/MENTION], absolutely baffling how anyone could conclude that makes him a weasel. :shrug:

Just for the benefit of us sane people, can you explain how that makes him a weasel? This is a man who worked to try and get a deal done and repeatedly had it voted down. With that deal, we'd have been out of the customs union, out of the single market. Only Northern Ireland would have been left in, and they voted to remain anyway. :shrug:

At the end of the day, people like you just will not accept that a no deal Brexit would be disastrous, despite the mountains of evidence suggesting that it probably would - and now that's all his fault? ???
As you know:-

Blaming someone else is easier than clearly stating what should be done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here