Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Respect...

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Absolutely no need to reply like that!

Edit

I’ve just read your latest post, you must be drunk.

Yes i had a drink. But a 9 year old has died so i'm sorry. Perhaps the post should have never have been written at all.

I only ever understood these things when my Daughter died at 9 years old from different problems. So it kind off brought it home to me,

You really can't understand unless it happens to you and your family.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I am very very sorry to hear that Phoenix, respect to you. I hope you have good circle of family of friends supporting you.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I am very very sorry to hear that Phoenix, respect to you. I hope you have good circle of family of friends supporting you.

I'm sorry too seagull wedgee but it just hit a nerve :kiss: she would have been 18 yesterday. Thanks for kind reply, mate .

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Let me know if you set up a foundation of any sort in her memory and I will willingly donate.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes i had a drink. But a 9 year old has died so i'm sorry. Perhaps the post should have never have been written at all.

I only ever understood these things when my Daughter died at 9 years old from different problems. So it kind off brought it home to me,

You really can't understand unless it happens to you and your family.
Sorry to hear that, i really am.

This sort of thing will divide opinions. You could literally be wearing a black armband every week because somebody has passed away who was connected to that club. Whether it's a former player/manager,supporter the list is endless really. I'm at a point where i see it as hardly an issue. If anything it shows what a caring nation we are i guess. I wouldn't call that being a snowflake.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Talk a leaf out of Ronan Keating's book: "You say it best, when you say nothing at all."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have I gone mad ??? (don't answer that, it's rhetorical)

I don't think wedgee is out of order.

If City asked us to wear armbands, then I think it's the right thing for us to do. But generally speaking, should clubs be wearing armbands when something like this happens? Personally I don't think so.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Where do we stop though? the tragic little girl run over by accident? the unfortunate 22 year old scientist who may have been the equal of Einstein cut down by cancer.
There is a place for everything, a football stadium is maybe not relevant.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I didn't know why that was. Did you get ITK information ?

Anyway, does it matter ?

well do we want the black arm band to mean something? fact of life is people die every day, unfortunatly sometimes children. why does one child get this honour over others? lets not throw brickbats at someone asking a civil question if its gone too far, simply say its fine if you think so.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
well do we want the black arm band to mean something? fact of life is people die every day, unfortunatly sometimes children. why does one child get this honour over others? lets not throw brickbats at someone asking a civil question if its gone too far, simply say its fine if you think so.

Okay, I agree, I'm sorry.

I think my frustration is that so many little things get picked on when so much just doesn't matter. They wore black armbands, it really isn't an issue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m serious. Fifty years ago players would only wear a black armband if a player or manager of the club’s illustrious past sadly passed away.

Wind forward 50 years and our players are wearing black armbands because the opposition team’s manager’s best friend’s daughter sadly passed away. We cant be far off the point where senior player matchday shirts are printed with a black armband already on them, because the frequency will be so often, surely....

Fifty years ago we beat our kids (and our wives). We smoked on the bus. We had a bath once a week if we needed one or not.

I think it is rather nice that almost every game starts these days with a minute of our precious time devoted to the memory of someone.

Best not start a thread while on opiates.....???

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fifty years ago we beat our kids (and our wives). We smoked on the bus. We had a bath once a week if we needed one or not.

I think it is rather nice that almost every game starts these days with a minute of our precious time devoted to the memory of someone.

Best not start a thread while on opiates.....???
I’m an old traditionalist. I still like to beat my wife and kids.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think I need to arrange for an eye test. I'm still on my way back from the game (just about on M25). But watching the game I wasn't aware of either side wearing black armbands but no doubt it will become clear on TV highlights. So opening this thread was a bit of a shock.
I know we have had discussions before on the relevance of a minutes silence or applause but this takes it to another level all together. The fans at the game weren't ask to do anything it was just something that the team's decided to do. It is entirely a matter for them to decide and that should be the end of the matter.
I would have thought that the gesture is just an extension of the social media messages of support when the tragic news broke from numerous teams including Brighton

Dec 29, 2011
Have I gone mad ??? (don't answer that, it's rhetorical)

I don't think wedgee is out of order.

If City asked us to wear armbands, then I think it's the right thing for us to do. But generally speaking, should clubs be wearing armbands when something like this happens? Personally I don't think so.

My thoughts exactly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Important we show respect. You may already donated, quietly reflected in private etc. But unless you’re showing it, publicly, loudly a la #sadface then I’m afraid it doesn’t count (why would it if no one is seeing you do something and posting online?) and you’re fair game for the permanently outraged and virtuous who grow stronger in number each day as entire generations now exist dedicated to finding offence and moral superiority shaming. Tis the not so new order. Blame Diana. 1997 was a terrible year. Blair took power. We absolutely lost the plot as a nation when it came to public grieving. Oh, something else happened too...dark days indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here