Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Article - Football Changed and Chris Hughton Didn’t Keep Up

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Are you seriously suggesting that we start well, win a few games and look good to watch, supporters will be mildly irritated, seriously? I'm not sure if this is more of a reflection on how you see the world.

I’m not sure this is a reflection of your reading abilities, I said some & I also said they won’t admit it!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You don't think Burnley fans were entertained when they won 14 of their 38 games, drawing 12 finishing 7th?

I have no idea tbh, I wasn’t watching them but we were never going to attain that level of results under CH. just imo mind you. Who knows, if we’d ground out wins and won games after going behind I may have a different viewpoint. I just know I did not enjoy what I was watching at all in the second half of last season. I am happy we are looking to change things around, I don’t feel the need to apologise for that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You said he was like Warnock in the Prem. he’s nothing like Warnock in the Prem, or for that matter, the championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFS, I said he struggles in the Prem. Norwich thought he was going to get them relegated so sacked him, Bloom thought he was going to get us relegated so sacked him. How can you say that's nothing like Warnock? Both of them are managers that are always likely to struggle in the Premier League.

If Hughton really is one of those managers who keeps teams up in the Prem then he'll hold out until the Autumn when Prem chairman start panicking and sacking their managers. I suspect that won't happen because they'll be worried about the 3 wins in 23 bit, just like Bloom was.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All will reveal itself in the media soon, look out for it! CH didn't purchase our crap players Tony Bloom did, CH had no say! Roy H for Palace is 70 years old but manages to play expansive football, have a think about what you are saying he has 10 years on CH.

How many goals did Palace score at home last season playing their 'expansive football' ?

Great article [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
FFS, I said he struggles in the Prem. Norwich thought he was going to get them relegated so sacked him, Bloom thought he was going to get us relegated so sacked him. How can you say that's nothing like Warnock? Both of them are managers that are always likely to struggle in the Premier League.

Last time i looked Hughton hasn't relegated any club he's managed in the Premier League. Warnock has. Multiple times.
Fair enough if you don't think there's a difference.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Excellent read; can't argue with any of that at all.

I was finding it an ordeal to go to football last season. It was no longer something I looked forward to. It was like "oh **** I've got to go to football on Saturday". It was just no fun any more watching the bus being parked, at home, against sides that were always, eventually, going to find a way round, or through, the bus.

I think TB has done exactly the right thing by dispensing with Hughton's services when he did. I know little about Potter but I trust TB's understanding of the game and his love for our club to have made the right decision to move us forwards.

I'm now looking forward to next season and to enjoying the game again.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All will reveal itself in the media soon, look out for it! CH didn't purchase our crap players Tony Bloom did, CH had no say! Roy H for Palace is 70 years old but manages to play expansive football, have a think about what you are saying he has 10 years on CH.

CH and PW made the final decisions on transfers in, in conjunction with TB and PB on non-footballing aspects to deals.

If it’s shown at some stage in the future that CH had absolutely no input, I’m all ears.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Last time i looked Hughton hasn't relegated any club he's managed in the Premier League. Warnock has. Multiple times.
Fair enough if you don't think there's a difference.

I read a comment in the press last pre season about Warnock, describing him as an 'analogue manager in a digital age'.

I think our Chris, although not at that stage, was heading towards it possibly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I read a comment in the press last pre season about Warnock, describing him as an 'analogue manager in a digital age'.

I think our Chris, although not at that stage, was heading towards it possibly.

Now we are just being unnecessarily insulting IMO.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Now we are just being unnecessarily insulting IMO.

I certainly didn't mean to insult Chris, I can assure you, and I really don't think my post was insulting whatsover.

Don't shoot the messenger mate.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I certainly didn't mean to insult Chris, I can assure you, and I really don't think my post was insulting whatsover.

Don't shoot the messenger mate.

Well you've compared him to Warnock and implied he's old fashioned with "analogue" ideas . Not sure he'd be too impressed if you put that to him but fair enough.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Well you've compared him to Warnock and implied he's old fashioned with "analogue" ideas . Not sure he'd be too impressed if you put that to him but fair enough.

Chailey, I didn't compare Chris to Warnock, and if came over that way, it wasn't intended whatsoever, in the way that you may have taken it.

Anyhow, even if I did, isn't this thread about that type of comparison, where the thread is about football changing, and managers not keeping up, or have I missed something here?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Chailey, I didn't compare Chris to Warnock, and if came over that way, it wasn't intended whatsoever, in the way that you may have taken it.

Anyhow, even if I did, isn't this thread about that type of comparison, where the thread is about football changing, and managers not keeping up, or have I missed something here?

Yes that’s exactly the premise. Some people agree and some don’t. It’s a game (and board) of opinions.

No one is trying to insult CH but that analogue / digital quote has been used about Warnock who finished only two points behind us, having taken six from us.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Yes that’s exactly the premise. Some people agree and some don’t. It’s a game (and board) of opinions.

No one is trying to insult CH but that analogue / digital quote has been used about Warnock who finished only two points behind us, having taken six from us.

GB, nobody has insulted Chris,it seems to me that if you even dare mention his name with a negative attribute, then you're damned.

For the record, my opinion is that Bloom got the decision and the timing right, so shoot me! xxxx

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
This is broadly where I am.

There is one further possibility: that Tony et al believe that, despite being cheap in PL terms, Locadia, Ali J, Andone, and 2-3 U23s have been sadly overlooked and poorly managed; with the right management we’ll be able to keep the payroll the same (broadly) but finish 12th (say).

God, I hope they don’t believe that. If they do, and we don’t recruit extensively and expensively, and Potter goes on to take us to 12th - hats off to them and to Potter. If, however, they do recruit extensively and expensively, there’ll always be a part of me that wonders just how well Hughton would have done with those new players.

If they believe that then we are ****ed. We as fans can only comment on what we can see of course, and from what I have seen we are in desperate need of someone proven leading the lines to take over from Murray, more bite in midfield and the replacing of our most technically gifted player at RB/RWB.

Just those three alone will set us back a fortune which I fully expect us to spend. The TV money is there for a reason, EVERYONE improves after EVERY season. If we think we can do it on the cheap by employing a manager who gets the best out of an inferior squad, then we will soon find out quite brutally things don't quite work like that in the PL.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If they believe that then we are ****ed. We as fans can only comment on what we can see of course, and from what I have seen we are in desperate need of someone proven leading the lines to take over from Murray, more bite in midfield and the replacing of our most technically gifted player at RB/RWB.

Just those three alone will set us back a fortune which I fully expect us to spend. The TV money is there for a reason, EVERYONE improves after EVERY season. If we think we can do it on the cheap by employing a manager who gets the best out of an inferior squad, then we will soon find out quite brutally things don't quite work like that in the PL.

It's this quote from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] on the barber/holloway on talkshite thread that has me really spooked...

"Quite pointed from Holloway, as expected, on the sacking of Hughton.

Barber's response largely hinging on a belief that Hughton didn't get the best out of the (new) players he had."

Kin Hell.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's this quote from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] on the barber/holloway on talkshite thread that has me really spooked...

"Quite pointed from Holloway, as expected, on the sacking of Hughton.

Barber's response largely hinging on a belief that Hughton didn't get the best out of the (new) players he had."

Kin Hell.

I would hope that is just a throwaway excuse for not wanting to be too damning of the man.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Chailey, I didn't compare Chris to Warnock

We can argue and must disagree about CH's ability as a manager last season, the reasons that explain our poor performance on the pitch/and his ability to develop his existing squad, especially the new signings. And ultimately whether this meant he deserved another season. Clearly Bloom felt otherwise.
But i thought there was a consensus about the values that CH brings to the job, an acknowledgment that he isn't stuck in the past or a "dinosaur" (you said that earlier in the thread GB) and despite being a youthful 60 was still open to modern ideas and coaching trends especially compared to the 70 year old Warnock still looking to keep a club in the Premier league for at least 1 season. But clearly thats up for discussion too. Oh well.

That said. Nobody is insulting anyone here. So apologies if thats inferred. No need to escalate things. Its only a silly NSC thread! sorry.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here