Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Talking at gigs and theatre

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Went to see James at Margate Winter Gardens on Wednesday night, great show, but the early acoustic session was ruined by some knobheads who decided this was the right time to have a chat, which could be heard over the music, and could clearly be heard on stage as Tim Booth pulled them up on it.

I have also been to the theatre and witnessesthe same thing.

Why do people do it, spend good money to go to a show then chat to their mates and **** anybody else...

I know people often say this with regards football matches, “I’ve paid my entry fee, what’s the problem?”, but does it carry over to other entertainment forms?

This drives me insane!

I went to see Beans On Toast at Patterns last week, and this is an artists whose lyrics are so important. For some reason, two people decided they'd talk to each other at top volume during his set. Now, ok he turned up the volume, but there's something just so annoying about people talking through a set. First you can hear them. Second they are adding no value. Third, I haven't paid to listen to their chatter.

If you want to talk, go outside and talk.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I had an ex that always did it, she didn't last long.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not so much gigs or theatre, but I see/hear it a lot in the audiences of conferences/presentations that I go to. So rude. I normally give them a bit of a look as if to say 'Any chance?' (with varying degrees of success), but what I really want to do is to tell them to STFU, but then I'm lowering myself to their level of talking when I'm meant to be listening.

Twats.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I was at an Alabama Shakes gig with Mrs H and [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and his other half a couple of years back.

This annoying bunch of people - who had probably got free tickets through the festival - just wouldn't shut up. Chat chat chat. Shout shout shout. Shut the f*ck up! In the end I asked them to keep quiet. What do I get back? "Alright Grandad! Too loud for you is it?"

However, they did shuffle off to annoy someone else.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Went to see James at Margate Winter Gardens on Wednesday night, great show, but the early acoustic session was ruined by some knobheads who decided this was the right time to have a chat, which could be heard over the music, and could clearly be heard on stage as Tim Booth pulled them up on it.

Yes, yes, but did they sit down when instructed?!

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
At the cinema a couple of weeks ago some old fart told a young woman to stop laughing, which was a bit curmudgeonly, seeing as it was a Woody Allen film.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
"People" talking at gigs, cinema and theatre really wind me up, as do those who have to take video/multiple pictures at gigs and ruin the view for those behind them.

What is the point of going to see or experience something live and then doing so via three inches of phone screen! Stay home or go to a bar and chat if you wish, or watch a video of the event on YouTube or something! :rant::censored:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Spinning this slightly on its head, I got told off at the Kinks Musical, Sunny Afternoon, for singing along - I thought that was sort of the point of these jukebox musicals?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
at Withdean I remember being stuck in front of a woman who jabbered on about wallpaper the entire match, never saw her again thank God.

Went to see The Residents last month and a group of people at the back chatted and joked through the entire set.

Bit different, but went to see a band at the De La Warr and a small group sat on the floor playing with their 'phones all evening .... BIZARRE

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was at an Ezio concert in Cambridge a few years ago. There was a constant hubbub of people near the front talking to each other very loudly. Ezio stopped playing, looked down and told the offenders to “shut the **** up”. Brilliant, they all left quickly and the general chatting stopped too :thumbsup:

SAC

May 21, 2014
Spinning this slightly on its head, I got told off at the Kinks Musical, Sunny Afternoon, for singing along - I thought that was sort of the point of these jukebox musicals?

It was encouraged in the encore but I imagine irritating during the actual play.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I used to hate the ones that would spend their entire journey talking on the phone loud enough so everyone could hear and then as they got into the station said "gotta go, I don't have an audience any more".

Was almost a daily occurrence between London Bridge at East Croydon.

More like this in my experience!

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
This gets my goat too. I was at the Massive Attack gig in Bristol last weekend and had a rather annoying American start videoing the gig with flash on full glare. They were relatively short so when they held up their phone to film it was right in my eyeline. They got the right hump when I told them to at least turn the flash off or better still try watching the gig in real life.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I will come across as a right miserable one here but I hate it when the crowd sings along or even worse claps along to a song. I have paid to hear an artist - possibility a favourite artist and its all drowned out by an annoying out of time clapping that starts of loudly then peters out slowly and painfully. If the song is a ballad, quiet or acoustic then it is just ruined.

Of course if it is a "Radio Gaga" sort of song then it is compulsory. I went to old Wembly to see the Stones and 80,000 going Woo Woo to sympathy for the devil was something to behold. but clapping along to Lloyd Cole sing acoustic at Ropetackle in front of 200 people was a distraction and ruined "Lost Weekend".

Why cant everyone just close their eyes and sway to the music?????

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I have also been to the theatre and witnessesthe same thing.

Why do people do it, spend good money to go to a show then chat to their mates and **** anybody else...

I know people often say this with regards football matches, “I’ve paid my entry fee, what’s the problem?”, but does it carry over to other entertainment forms?

Because they are utter tw@ts, who pays to go to live events and chat!
It's like the gimps that are on their phones when watching footy matches!
"Yeh look at me I'm at the game..........."

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I had an ex that always did it, she didn't last long.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I was on a date at the cinema before Christmas, quote liked the girl after we had a couple of previous dates. She talked about 5 times during the film, loud too. Did not see her again.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I just don't get this videoing the gig from your phone thing, surely you go for the experience. If you're concentrating on filming that must detract from that, and, in return, all you'll get is poor quality footage, complete with background noise from those around you, just to prove you were there.

A few years ago I went to see Dave Swarbrick at a really small venue where one off his face punter decided to drum along on a bar stool, completely out of time with the music. It wasn't long before Swarbs told him to STFU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was on a date at the cinema before Christmas, quote liked the girl after we had a couple of previous dates. She talked about 5 times during the film, loud too. Did not see her again.

I know a girl who gave her boyfriend a birthday blow job at the Duke of York. They’d hired the balcony thing. It’s one way to ensure parters do not talk.

I like to think of myself as a solutions type of person.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's nothing new, I recall going to see Salvador and there was a couple close by, where one of the pair spent a lot of the time explaining the political background during the film.
Another annoyance in the cinema is people who decide to look at their phones during the film, as you become distracted by the light.

In the West End, I can't recall which show it was but someone answered their mobile and started by saying, 'I'm at the theatre watching...' They were quickly told to shut up, but in less polite terms by many around them.

I dislike stadium or O2 gigs, as you get many who are just there to tick off seeing the group, so when less familiar songs are played, they often decide that this the time to start chatting with their friends, which totally ruins the gig for anyone who has a deeper knowledge of the groups catalogue.

The other thing that seems to have crept in at gigs is singing along to all the songs (and usually out of tune). Anyone doing this should be immediately be thrown out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here