Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It was such a positive move, we were under the cosh and instead of knuckling down to defend the 1-0 lead, we brought on two very tenacious strikers that would not let their defence rest for a second, and they BOTH scored. Watford had to attack us, and it was the perfect move to take advantage of the players they had pushed forward. Tactically, it was a master stroke.

Albeit that GP said after the game that he ‘got lucky’

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
TB has said his mind was made up some weeks before, probably after the Bournemouth game or possibly Cardiff

It had to be the first half against Newcastle, an absolute horror show of negativity.
Coupled together with his tactics basically saying that the players he has are not good enough to go forward and then at the end of each match saying that with a club like this, this is the best we can do.
He forgot that Tony Bloom is a massive fan.
But I am very grateful for what he done, and I would love to see Chris take over a League One club and do the same, maybe his experience at Brighton will have made him an even better manager.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
I cant be arsed to read through the 80 odd pages and this may have already been added. What Potter did yesterday to bring on two strikers to take the game to them was quality. They had little or no idea after that and they had to defend even further back. Hughton would have added another defender and undoubtedly Watford would have scored. He is a very forward thinking manager who will take the game to teams. That is a game, that last season we would have lost or drawn, with Watford attacking non stop for the last 30 minutes.

Not sure I buy how attacking a substitution it was. Sure, he didn't make us more defensive, but it was two like for like changes. It didn't make us defensive, but we were no more defensive than if he had say brought on Trossard for Gross or even Webster for Burn.

Yes we were obviously more attacking yesterday than under Chris, but the difference really was that we started with 2.5 strikers instead of 1.5 not that he swapped two of those strikers for two more. Hughton swapped Murray for Andone basically every game and Locadia for Maupay is fairly close to a like for like change.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not sure I buy how attacking a substitution it was. Sure, he didn't make us more defensive, but it was two like for like changes. It didn't make us defensive, but we were no more defensive than if he had say brought on Trossard for Gross or even Webster for Burn.

Yes we were obviously more attacking yesterday than under Chris, but the difference really was that we started with 2.5 strikers instead of 1.5 not that he swapped two of those strikers for two more. Hughton swapped Murray for Andone basically every game and Locadia for Maupay is fairly close to a like for like change.

I saw it as changing the type of forwards to pose more of a threat against the high line that Watford were trying to keep in the second half.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Eh? Nothing about TB's thoughts in that interview, or about the Bournemouth or Cardiff games. Lots of posts on NSC about how TB 'must have' decided to sack CH after the X or Y game; not a shred of supporting evidence.

Apologies, somehow I thought you had questioned Potter saying he got lucky with the subs working out so well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You don’t know that mutual consent wasn’t offered to Chris......

If it was why would he accept it? He did what was required of him, just. Why would he agree to go for what was presumably much less money than he’d get if sacked? The fact that TB wanted him out came as a shock according to CH so I can’t see him even contemplating mutual consent. Why should he?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If it was why would he accept it? He did what was required of him, just. Why would he agree to go for what was presumably much less money than he’d get if sacked? The fact that TB wanted him out came as a shock according to CH so I can’t see him even contemplating mutual consent. Why should he?

Exactly.......doesn’t mean he wasn’t offered it though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fairly good tactical piece from Andy Naylor in The Athletic.... this sums it up for me

“I thought we needed to score again,” Potter said. “I didn’t think hanging on for 1-0 would be the right way to go.”

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Fairly good tactical piece from Andy Naylor in The Athletic.... this sums it up for me

“I thought we needed to score again,” Potter said. “I didn’t think hanging on for 1-0 would be the right way to go.”

Wow. That quote right there highlights the fundamental difference between Potter and Hughtons football philosophy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wow. That quote right there highlights the fundamental difference between Potter and Hughtons football philosophy.

Does it? I’m not sure it does

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here