Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket World Cup Final: ENGLAND v New Zealand *** Official Match Thread ***

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Never heard of football cup ties being decided by the toss of a coin? Or the bloody 'golden goal' fiascos?

Toss of a coin doesn't happen any more.(correct me if I'm wrong) Golden goal at least the team has to score, in Rugby League down here they have a Golden point rule if scores are level, it seems to work OK.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In terms of the Super Over, justice to NZ because of the decisions that went against them during the regular game.

That really does sound like bitterness, the first on this thread in fact, even [MENTION=167]Willow[/MENTION] accepted it with grace. What went against you?

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
That really does sound like bitterness, the first on this thread in fact, even [MENTION=167]Willow[/MENTION] accepted it with grace. What went against you?

It's not so much as bitterness as some rules are just not right.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot

To be fair to Colinz, I also suggested a second super over would have been a fair way to end the stalemate..

To lighten the mood again, how about this moment when the unassuming kiwi captain finds out he is player of the tournament :lolol: Much deserved Mr Williamson. :bowdown:

[tweet]1150480458121134082[/tweet]

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Toss of a coin doesn't happen any more.(correct me if I'm wrong) Golden goal at least the team has to score, in Rugby League down here they have a Golden point rule if scores are level, it seems to work OK.
No, I know toss of the coin isn't used any more - but it has been, so teams that were just as close together as the two sides today suffered injustice from it.

Football tried the golden goal rule, and decided it too was too cruel and harsh - quite rightly IMO. If Rugby League wants to use it (points, not goal), they're welcome as far as I'm concerned!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be fair to Colinz, I also suggested a second super over would have been a fair way to end the stalemate..

To lighten the mood again, how about this moment when the unassuming kiwi captain finds out he is player of the tournament :lolol: Much deserved Mr Williamson. :bowdown:

[tweet]1150480458121134082[/tweet]

Lovely moment. Kiwis should hold their heads high, great country, great opposition in cricket and rugby and no malice between countries, unlike the arrogant convicts. And they don't cheat. Great people.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Well fine, but would you or Kane or Sir Richard Hadlee have said that if you had won? I think, probably not.

I don't know. But probably not because NZ were the deserving winners after the 50 over game. Given the decisions that went against them.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't know. But probably not because NZ were the deserving winners after the 50 over game. Given the decisions that went against them.

I already asked you and you didn't tell me, what went against you?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The Roy LBW

Agreed, one decision, he scored 17. Cheap wicket. But he wasn't out v the Aussies but we didn't moan about that. Swings and roundabouts. That is sport. Any other reasons?

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Agreed, one decision, he scored 17. Cheap wicket. But he wasn't out v the Aussies but we didn't moan about that. Swings and roundabouts. That is sport. Any other reasons?

See my edited post. Plus the Australia game wasn't exactly close otherwise some POMs may have whinged about the decision.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
See my edited post. Plus the Australia game wasn't exactly close otherwise some POMs may have whinged about the decision.

So, you take it that you were cheated from one decision of a batsman that went cheaply. This has obviously never happened to NZ before, whereby they get a decision. I have no idea who Taylor is and just accept it, be gracious, shit happens.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
So, you take it that you were cheated from one decision of a batsman that went cheaply. This has obviously never happened to NZ before, whereby they get a decision. I have no idea who Taylor is and just accept it, be gracious, shit happens.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
England won by the thickness of a paper fag. The match was conducted in true sportsmanship on both sides, and for New Zealand with a population 4.6M to be contesting against the best in the world, and we know the history of their rugby teams is a credit to their nation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here