Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Corbynite councillor sends daughter to Roedean

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Where have I specifically called The Daily Mail 'fascist' racist' 'Nazi' to describe both the newspaper and probably it's readers and maybe any random Tory voters?

Or are you just making erroneous assumptions from Melbourne because you're just a knob, intolerant, or otherwise?

Surely he deserves a 7 day subscription?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Is any Tory who doesn't send their children to an Academy 'a hypocrite'?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The inference was there and you know it.

I was actually quoting someone else who made a sweeping generalisation, but with it's history under Lord Rothermere to the more recent and it's hysterical immigration stance under Paul Dacre, I can see their point. What would you call The Daily Mail out of interest, other than it's name? It's even got an Australian section on it's website for saddos down under like you who want to read it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I was actually quoting someone else who made a sweeping generalisation, but with it's history under Lord Rothermere to the more recent and it's hysterical immigration stance under Paul Dacre, I can see their point. What would you call The Daily Mail out of interest, other than it's name? It's even got an Australian section on it's website for saddos down under like you who want to read it.

A right of centre newspaper, standing for many things that you like to insult but take offence to when challenged. By the way, what has me living in Melbourne got to do with anything?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A right of centre newspaper, standing for everything that you like to insult but take offence to when challenged. By the way, what has me living in Melbourne got to do with anything?

It stands for a great deal I dislike, but I don't like to insult or take offence when challenged as a default, as your rather ignorant generalisation implies. It was you who originally tried to insult me by calling me 'an intolerant knob' because you got on your high horse about me quoting someone earlier on this thread and me bringing up the black-shirts piece. Funny that - almost as if you're a little uncomfortable with it. You must be a Daily Mail reader as you're defending it.

As for Melbourne, it's just it's a large, vibrant, cosmopolitan city - personally when I lived abroad I had better things to do than defend The Daily Mail, let alone read it or spend time on internet forums back in The UK, particularly on a Saturday evening, but we're all different.

I used to have an Aunt and Uncle a bit like you actually - they lived in Durban during apartheid - they used to get The Daily Telegraph though posted down to them and lorded over everything happening back in The UK. Very sad really.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It stands for a great deal I dislike, but I don't like to insult or take offence when challenged as a default, as your rather ignorant generalisation implies. It was you who originally tried to insult me by calling me 'an intolerant knob' because you got on your high horse about me quoting someone earlier on this thread and me bringing up the black-shirts piece. Funny that - almost as if you're a little uncomfortable with it. You must be a Daily Mail reader as you're defending it.

As for Melbourne, it's just it's a large, vibrant, cosmopolitan city - personally when I lived abroad I had better things to do than defend The Daily Mail, let alone read it or spend time on internet forums back in The UK, particularly on a Saturday evening, but we're all different.

I used to have an Aunt and Uncle a bit like you actually - they lived in Durban during apartheid - they used to get The Daily Telegraph though posted down to them and lorded over everything happening back in The UK. Very sad really.

Good Lord, Man, you are in danger of sounding almost as pompous, sneering and condescending as The Large One.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Inference again, without the balls to actually say anything.

You're being a bit tetchy and paranoid here. We might be 10,500 miles apart but I'm definitely feeling a bit of outrage and some indignation here too - it's all very Daily Mail reader.

They rubbish they show on BT Sport here, but I've just noticed there's some live Aussie Rules Football on at 10am here - Geelong Cats v St Kilda - if it's not all ticket, why not go along? It can't be too far and I know that living abroad can be difficult for some people and you might be able to finally make some friends and meet some people in your new home, rather than spend time on UK internet sites on a Saturday evening defending The Daily Mail? Just a thought.

Speaking of Aunts and Uncles, I had a Great Aunt and Great Uncle who also emigrated abroad to your neck of the woods actually - they lived upstate from you in Shepparton. When they came back for a family reunion in about 1990, which was the first time they'd been back to The UK since the 1940's, I remember them raving in their Aussie accents about Aussie Rules and how great it was. Obviously being down to earth, normal people, they were able to properly integrate with the locals - you should try Aussie Rules football, it might help you.:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You're being a bit tetchy and paranoid here. We might be 10,500 miles apart but I'm definitely feeling a bit of outrage and some indignation here too - it's all very Daily Mail reader.

They rubbish they show on BT Sport here, but I've just noticed there's some live Aussie Rules Football on at 10am here - Geelong Cats v St Kilda - if it's not all ticket, why not go along? It can't be too far and I know that living abroad can be difficult for some people and you might be able to finally make some friends and meet some people in your new home, rather than spend time on UK internet sites on a Saturday evening defending The Daily Mail? Just a thought.

Speaking of Aunts and Uncles, I had a Great Aunt and Great Uncle who also emigrated abroad to your neck of the woods actually - they lived upstate from you in Shepparton. When they came back for a family reunion in about 1990, which was the first time they'd been back to The UK since the 1940's, I remember them raving in their Aussie accents about Aussie Rules and how great it was. Obviously being down to earth, normal people, they were able to properly integrate with the locals - you should try Aussie Rules football, it might help you.:thumbsup:

Very constructive and, if I may say so, kind.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Good Lord, Man, you are in danger of sounding almost as pompous, sneering and condescending as The Large One.

As a general rule of thumb I'm not really one for compliments, but honestly that is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me this week. Thank-you ever so much, your kind words really do mean a great deal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To quote a well known saying by Corbyn and chums, "for the many not the few" (unless the many can afford it of course). Choosing the few is the correct choice but majorly hypocritical.

Who is choosing the few? What does choosing the few mean?

In the context of the Corbyn slogan, to chose the few would mean taking away all the funding for state schools and the NHS and use the money saved to give massive tax cuts to the rich. Why is this the correct choice? Whose correct choice?

I am sure this isn't what you mean, but I really can't work out what you actually do mean. In the context of the thread, chosing the few would mean chosing to send your kid to Roedean. But why is that 'the few'.

I like a good chat but you have replied directly to part of my post and, I'm sorry, I don't follow what you are trying to say. :shrug:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As a general rule of thumb I'm not really one for compliments, but honestly that is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me this week. Thank-you ever so much, your kind words really do mean a great deal.

Oh well, let us add sarcastic to the list as well now.
Have a good weekend.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Who is choosing the few? What does choosing the few mean?

In the context of the Corbyn slogan, to chose the few would mean taking away all the funding for state schools and the NHS and use the money saved to give massive tax cuts to the rich. Why is this the correct choice? Whose correct choice?

I am sure this isn't what you mean, but I really can't work out what you actually do mean. In the context of the thread, chosing the few would mean chosing to send your kid to Roedean. But why is that 'the few'.

I like a good chat but you have replied directly to part of my post and, I'm sorry, I don't follow what you are trying to say. :shrug:

I mean simply that it seems a bit rich that a Corbynite that has probably (and I stress probably because i know nothing about the guy) spent his political life in opposition to the elite private education system now decides that the state system isn't good enough for one of his children.

Going against the grain a bit don't you think?

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
I find it odd that everyone seems to be making the assumption that it’s his decision alone as to what school his daughter attends.
Maybe it was his wife’s decision, or maybe they gave their daughter a choice. Maybe her best friends go there. Maybe the style of teaching there and the learning environment is just the best fit for her.
If you’re picking schools based on your political philosophy rather than the best interests of your children, you’re just a s#*t parent.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I find it odd that everyone seems to be making the assumption that it’s his decision alone as to what school his daughter attends.
Maybe it was his wife’s decision, or maybe they gave their daughter a choice. Maybe her best friends go there. Maybe the style of teaching there and the learning environment is just the best fit for her.
If you’re picking schools based on your political philosophy rather than the best interests of your children, you’re just a s#*t parent.

I suppose it isn't hypocritical to work and fight for all schools to be as good as the best fee-paying ones (although I'd argue that paying for education guarantees nothing except smaller class sizes) but until your work is done, send your own children to the best school you can get them to. But we don't know whether or not that is what has happened here.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You’re right. So why bring it up ? The hypocrisy of which he is guilty is being Labour/Momentum ie believing in a comprehensive, inclusive education system for all (ie not giving a few people an advantage) and then sending his daughter to Roedean. It’s simple really; don’t lecture the rest of us on elitism and privilege while using one’s ‘buy to let portfolio’ to buy privilege for his own family.

The Shadow Home Secretary agrees with you ....

"It's absolutely true that it's inconsistent, to put it mildly, for someone who believes in a fairer and more egalitarian society to send their child to a private, fee-paying school.

"I've always believed that private schools prop up the class structure of society.

"It's inconsistent, it's indefensible and that's why I haven't sought to defend it."
- Dianne Abbott

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

A average of 9 posts a day, and you think you can preach.........cheerio.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I mean simply that it seems a bit rich that a Corbynite that has probably (and I stress probably because i know nothing about the guy) spent his political life in opposition to the elite private education system now decides that the state system isn't good enough for one of his children.

Going against the grain a bit don't you think?

I see.

No I don't agree. He has one kid in state school. He is opposed to academies, not private schools. He is opposed to the privatisation of state schools. He is spending his money the way he sees fit on legal goods and services. I see no hypocrisy.

Dianne Abbott on the other hand made a point of opposing private schools, but sent her kid to one, and admitted the hypocrisy, but decided her brass neck was still worth a career in politics..

I know nothing more about this guy that I have found, but like others I think this thread has been simply another opportunity for gammon to do a dog whistle about how shit Corbyn is. I know how shit Corbyn is, and want him replaced. I don't need to buy a load of tortured 'if this then that so the other' old bollocks to do so :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here