Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 6 [now: 7] straight matches without scoring a single goal

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This is what I love about NSC, people coming on castigating the manager/players for how rubbish they are, then can’t get basic facts right... 2 goals this year, really?

Think you’re missing his point! If it’s 3 or wow, even more, it’s still utter utter shite!! Now not the time to be correcting minor detail :)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is what I love about NSC, people coming on castigating the manager/players for how rubbish they are, then can’t get basic facts right... 2 goals this year, really?

I missed some in amongst our massive haul of goals. I did mean wins btw. Premier League wins.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Fantastic performance in the circumstances. It was what was needed.
And we did have shots - they just weren't on target.
Very similar to Palace for me except Knocky's long shot went in but Kayal's went just over.
With due respect the last 20 years have all been in lower divisions so of course away games are harder now. We open up and go all out attack in this division and we get torn apart like Fulham.

With due respect, I've seen some utter, utter dross following The Albion as long as I have (a lot more than 20 years). In those days we were awful, just about anybody could beat us, and usually did. Even part-timers Sudbury Town at The Goldstone. The big difference between then and now is that no matter how outclased we were, we looked like we were trying to score a goal, trying to scrape a win or a draw. Thedifferences in class are similar. It might have been a different world trying to stay in the league but it is all relative to where we are/were. Totally outclassed in the 4th tier is exactly the same as being totally outclassed in the PL.

Thanks for the hilarious "We did have shots-they just weren't on target". Obviously an Eric Morecambe fan.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
With due respect, I've seen some utter, utter dross following The Albion as long as I have (a lot more than 20 years). In those days we were awful, just about anybody could beat us, and usually did. Even part-timers Sudbury Town at The Goldstone. The big difference between then and now is that no matter how outclased we were, we looked like we were trying to score a goal, trying to scrape a win or a draw. Thedifferences in class are similar. It might have been a different world trying to stay in the league but it is all relative to where we are/were. Totally outclassed in the 4th tier is exactly the same as being totally outclassed in the PL.

Thanks for the hilarious "We did have shots-they just weren't on target". Obviously an Eric Morecambe fan.

I remember that Sudbury game - got that was bad!
Anyway I disagree about the difference in class - there is a MUCH bigger gap in the Premier League than in nay other division we have ever played in.
Wolves was the only game I have seen when we have been that defensive - and it was the right way to play in the circumstances. That point may be vital at the end of the season.
My point about shots on target is that it is irrelevant if it is on/off target if it is a poor shot - Stephen's shot before half time for example -didn't matter if it was on/of target it was never going to go in.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So true and one even revelling in their historical claim that they didn't even want CH at the Club to begin with. How fickle is that ? . The club might net even have reached the PL without CH but that poster seems to feel the need to want to wipe the slate of the 3 successful seasons to justify a 5 year old post of his own which would have deprived the fans of 3 of the most successful years in the Club's history

Yeah I've seen a couple like that. Those people have kept that very VERY quiet over the last few years and only now are telling us that they 'never wanted him'. In fact I call bullshit.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
presentation1.jpg
tenor.gif

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Assuming we don't score tomorrow, we would need to score within 22 minutes against Newcastle to avoid passing Leicester's record of 682 minutes in the 2016-17 season.

We won't be able to eclipse Sunderland's drought from the same season, which I would imagine (with minimal research) is the all-time top-flight record, of 976 minutes. We'd have to not score until the first minute of the second half of our first match next season to equal that.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
My personal view is that if we survive and recruit / offload during the summer, we give CH the first few months of next season. If we get to, say, Nov and we are clearly still struggling it would then be the time for him to go.

But then you would have a new manager who wasn't involved in the summer transfer dealings so couldn't get the players they want for their team. Then comes January when there are fewer players on the market and the prices are high.

Hughton needs to go at season's end so his replacement has the summer to select his transfer targets and have pre-season training with the squad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But then you would have a new manager who wasn't involved in the summer transfer dealings so couldn't get the players they want for their team. Then comes January when there are fewer players on the market and the prices are high.

Hughton needs to go at season's end so his replacement has the summer to select his transfer targets and have pre-season training with the squad.

It's also an awful lot cheaper to off load Mr Hughton and employ some confident they are get a tune from the current squad.

Instead of binning off x millions, spending a further xx millions just to fill the holes from 12 months ago, and hand all that to a manager who will still insist on a 'park the bus first' policy.

CH goes in the summer or not at all.
There's no point in hedging the bets till an arbitrary date before Christmas.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So did we get an answer to the original question?

What's the longest we have gone without a league goal?

Currently on 7 hours and 46 minutes I believe.

The likely failure tonight would make this 9 hours and 26 minutes.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
To those who want hughton out , can I ask , what makes you think the club’s fortunes will significantly improve if he goes?
What have you seen in this squad, that makes you think if a more positive approach was taken, we’d collect lots more points?
Do you think hughton plays negative football for a laugh, knowing that if we more attacking we would fly up the table?
Maybe his time is nearly up, but the limitations of the club go beyond Hughton.
The recruitment has been very poor over several windows.
Whoever the manager is will face the same problems. And I’m pretty these shortcomings won’t be overcome by making locadia centre forward.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
After six games without a goal I would normally take heart from the law of averages kicking in at some stage. So long as we keep showing up, we'd get a goal by accident at some point or another. The trouble is that now we don't event make our way into our opposition's penalty area. Was it just two touches inside the Wolves' area on Saturday? It's hard to see where a goal is coming from at all tonight but we could get lucky. A miscommunication between a Tottenham defender and keeper would be good. Perhaps time for another stunner rifled home from six inches off Murray's bell-end?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

It is hard to disagree with any of your points, especially concerning any potential new manager.

I don't understand the logic in giving Hughton until November, December, Christmas or Whenever and then replacing him if we are still as shit as we have been this season (and away all of last season too).

We need change, it's that simple.

If the current group of players have stopped playing for him we need to know why. We also need to see which players (if any) have caused any unrest in the squad and they need to go too. Survival in the PL requires everybody pulling in the same direction, including supporters.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
After six games without a goal I would normally take heart from the law of averages kicking in at some stage. So long as we keep showing up, we'd get a goal by accident at some point or another. The trouble is that now we don't event make our way into our opposition's penalty area. Was it just two touches inside the Wolves' area on Saturday? It's hard to see where a goal is coming from at all tonight but we could get lucky. A miscommunication between a Tottenham defender and keeper would be good. Perhaps time for another stunner rifled home from six inches off Murray's bell-end?

I think we need the Dennis Law of averages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here