Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Water canons are the answer

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The question: How to rid London's streets of the idiot demonstrators? Giving them a bloody good soaking would very quickly send them packing. Boris had the right idea. Why they were never used I cannot understand. Alternatively, in the case of Waterloo Bridge for example, fence them in. A fence at either end of the bridge and no one is allowed in or out. No food, no potty breaks, no water. They'd pretty quickly lose interest. With so many good ideas, I really should be running the country.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Respect to the protesters.. At least they have the balls to stand up for what is right and against the idiots who say there isn't a problem.. Something has to change with how we treat the planet or there won't be one left at all..

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The question: How to rid London's streets of the idiot demonstrators? Giving them a bloody good soaking would very quickly send them packing. Boris had the right idea. Why they were never used I cannot understand. Alternatively, in the case of Waterloo Bridge for example, fence them in. A fence at either end of the bridge and no one is allowed in or out. No food, no potty breaks, no water. They'd pretty quickly lose interest. With so many good ideas, I really should be running the country.

I don't agree with the method of protest but they are not the idiots. I'd rather see water cannons turned on those that still deny human's impact on climate change.

The Optimist

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Why are they idiots? We think it’s bad that our football club is sleeping walking towards relegation, but that’s nothing compared to the whole planet sleep walking towards climate disaster.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I don't agree with the method of protest but they are not the idiots. I'd rather see water cannons turned on those that still deny human's impact on climate change.

This is the kind of protest that gets in the news, raises awareness and gets people talking about the issues. Still I don't think people are fully aware of what is around the corner for us all especially our children and grandchildren. We just cannot keep consuming at the ever increasing rates we are without the planet saying no more. Last year the planet's overshoot day was August 1st.. that's the day when all the resources the planet could supply was used up.

https://www.overshootday.org/newsroom/press-release-july-2018-english/

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be more impressed if they took this kind of action in the countries contributing most to the causes of global warming: China, US, India, Russia...

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
An excellent idea.

...if you want largely peaceful protests to escalate into full scale anti-establishment rioting.

Nothing compared with mass migration from uninhabitable areas, starvation, conflicts for resources and water.. we either fix this now or suffer catastrophe later.

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have to say that the same thought as the o/p had occurred to me.
The right to protest is paramount, but should that allow the disruption of other people's plans?

I think not.

Wait...so they should be free to protest but not in a way that in any way gets them noticed? So what becomes the point of protest?

When Brighton fans protested in the 1990s it probably disrupted a few people's travel plans, should they not have been allowed to protest either?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
This is the kind of protest that gets in the news, raises awareness and gets people talking about the issues. Still I don't think people are fully aware of what is around the corner for us all especially our children and grandchildren. We just cannot keep consuming at the ever increasing rates we are without the planet saying no more. Last year the planet's overshoot day was August 1st.. that's the day when all the resources the planet could supply was used up.

https://www.overshootday.org/newsroom/press-release-july-2018-english/

I agree with what you say and that it gets the headlines but the people that need educating the most aren't listening to their message. Apparently they think they just need a good water cannonning.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ludicrous post. Ludicrous thread. I pass through Parliament square most days. 90% of the folk wandering about are tourists, intermingled with the protesters. Water Cannon! Just the sort of solution some fat Etonian might come up with during a liquid lunch. Two birds in one stone - 'give the buggers a good wash at the same time', eh?

OK, so the police are doing nothing. And they are doing nothing about the 200 odd Albanian Gypsies running betting rackets on Westminster bridge. Every day. For six months. And the nation has done nothing about the sectarian clowns in Ulster who refuse to run their own parliamen/country. And we will do nothing to deal with the spotty new IRA that carried out its first murder yesterday. Yes we are a 'do **** all about anything', country, now. And I haven't even mentioned Brexit.

Perhaps we shoud just turn the watercannon on ourselves. :shrug:

Edit, discussing this with Mrs T yesterday, who is a more keen recycler than me; the protest is a massive fail because I knew nothing about it beforehand, and knew nothing about it when I was actually walking through it. Does anybody know what they want? What is that strange logo? I assumed at first it was a new Brexit party. They all seem so happy together there too - one of those 'we all came together and it was an emotional experience, like the first Glastonbury' moments. Remember how hippies changed the world back in 67? People will never learn.

In view of all that, and in view of the fact that the only people getting what they want these days are people who refuse to budge, like the Ulster Unionists, hats off to the protesters. Stay put. Shut down London forever. Why the **** not? Nobody else anywhere has any clue about what to do about anything, other than maximise their own benefit and position. Until our present broken politics mends, everyone should perhaps think about kicking off.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Yes, let's have someone who can't spell a simple word like 'cannon' running the country.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
The problem with these protestors is they need to convince the majority of ordinary, everyday people to believe in their cause, part of which will involve people making lasting changes to their lifestyles and maybe voting patterns in the future. The very people they are frustrating and angering are the ones they need to be on board going forward, in short it is a stupid strategy that alienates the very people their cause depends upon.

I support their purpose but not their methods which will, in my opinion, set their cause back a few steps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here