Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton Out amnesty

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I agree in part, one thing however remains undeniable: today was nothing short of a footballing disgrace.

The players need to shoulder the blame, but Chris needs to do something really special to turn us round... do you believe he can Dale? What say you? And why... by what evidence? Blind faith... or something more tangible, that I am missing?

I’m beginning to see his light ebb, the turning of the tide has arrived.

For me, Chris needs to drop nearly the entire team from today, bring in our available decent young players and attack from the off... again I have my doubts any of this will happen.

As for a win... hmmmmmm... I live in hope, but a fading one at that.

A bad day at the office.

was thinking the same re youngsters, but am I right in thinking they've got a title-chasing match at Everton on Monday ? Could be wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
TBH saying "Ajax aren't doing too badly" in defence of signing players from the Netherlands (despite the evidence in front of our faces that two of the top performers in that league are clearly not good enough) is a bit like saying "it doesn't matter that we're bringing players from Hamilton and Livingston into the Premier League because Celtic are quite good". I should also point out that the Dutch have failed to qualify for both of the last two major tournaments and while they are in the finals of the Nations League this is largely because they beat the worst German team in 20 years twice.

That's as maybe. But Propper, Locardia and Ali J are at least as good as Steve Cook, Adam Smith and Josh King. FFS

It's the coaching and team set up.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
was thinking the same re youngsters, but am I right in thinking they've got a title-chasing match at Everton on Monday ? Could be wrong.

You might well be right. Yet for everyone who thinks like me and you, the footballing elite (on here) claim it’s not time, it’s not the moment etc. I ask, if following a record and decades long worst home defeat, it ain’t the time... when will it ever be?

However, we both know, under CH it’ll never happen. Thus I think, for me, his time has come. Believe me when I write this, I find that very sad.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I can completely understand how many are backing Hughton.

He comes across as a very clever, calm and bloody nice bloke to be fair. And he has taken us from Champ relegation to the Prem and an FA Cup semi final. He will always be an Albion legend.

The bottom line for me personally is, how ambitious are we now as a club ? Do we want to become a Watford or a Leicester or do we want to settle for what we have achieved and repeat it year after year after year ?

I think Chris has the ability to keep us up, and he would probably keep us up next year and maybe the year after. But I think it will always be like this with him in charge. Some decent results now and then, some stand out performances like the 2 against Palace this season. But essentially he is a safety first manager and now we have been found out at home we are up against it. The set up is very rigid with the same subs, like for like changes and don’t even get me started on the same old kick off routine over and over again which doesn’t even achieve anything.

It’s a difficult decision for Bloom, does he stay loyal to the man who has got us here or does he twist and hope that we can step up to the next level and become an established Premier League side.

A change of manager could easily fail so it isn’t an easy choice, but maybe this summer Bloom needs to decide if he is more ambitious than he is loyal.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I can completely understand how many are backing Hughton.

He comes across as a very clever, calm and bloody nice bloke to be fair. And he has taken us from Champ relegation to the Prem and an FA Cup semi final. He will always be an Albion legend.

The bottom line for me personally is, how ambitious are we now as a club ? Do we want to become a Watford or a Leicester or do we want to settle for what we have achieved and repeat it year after year after year ?

I think Chris has the ability to keep us up, and he would probably keep us up next year and maybe the year after. But I think it will always be like this with him in charge. Some decent results now and then, some stand out performances like the 2 against Palace this season. But essentially he is a safety first manager and now we have been found out at home we are up against it. The set up is very rigid with the same subs, like for like changes and don’t even get me started on the same old kick off routine over and over again which doesn’t even achieve anything.

It’s a difficult decision for Bloom, does he stay loyal to the man who has got us here or does he twist and hope that we can step up to the next level and become an established Premier League side.

A change of manager could easily fail so it isn’t an easy choice, but maybe this summer Bloom needs to decide if he is more ambitious than he is loyal.

Bloom has got some thinking to do and I know he's put millions in already blah blah blah but if we are not going to be scraping down the bottom of the league forever he needs to spend big on some experienced top players.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's as maybe. But Propper, Locardia and Ali J are at least as good as Steve Cook, Adam Smith and Josh King. FFS

It's the coaching and team set up.

No way is Locadia anywhere near the effectiveness of Josh King. He could have private coaching with Guardiola every day and it’s not going to suddenly turn him into an effective premier league footballer. Ali J has only just arrived, do you honestly think you can coach a player to be that much better in 8months!!??

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bloom has got some thinking to do and I know he's put millions in already blah blah blah but if we are not going to be scraping down the bottom of the league forever he needs to spend big on some experienced top players.

It’s not just spending big, it’s strategy, how we identify targets. Got it right with Gross, Propper, Ryan, Bernardo, but this season none of our attacking signings have produced what you need. It’s not easy, but perhaps you need to weigh up that for every 2 or 3 foreign league signings, you need a bread and butter signing from a player proven in England, whether PL or Championship. We haven’t signed a player who has been plying their trade in England for sometime - that to me is a poor strategy, not just about money.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Stay till the end of the season and if we are down keep him as a great Championship manager, if we stay up say thanks for everything and move him on!

This won't work. If he did get us promoted again we'd have to sack him the day after because we know he can't hack it in the PL!!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
At the moment Hughton couldn't lift a feather let alone a team and squad whose morale is at rock bottom thanks to clueless tactics and negative set ups. Part of the problem is that they don't want to know him or his tactics anymore and he needs to be booted out before Tuesday and anymore damage is done

Sack him before Tuesday ? Oh come on . Chaos . He may be a limited manager , but for the rest of the season he’s our limited manager.
He’s the best bet for getting us over the line

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Ok, after my mega sulk on Saturday, I'm slowly regaining the positivity of my usual optimism. Sheets have bee changed across the county, dogs have been given a treat after the kickings they received and all the toys are back in the pram. Tuesday evening will eradicate any ill will towards the leaders of my football team. UTeffinA

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It’s not just spending big, it’s strategy, how we identify targets. Got it right with Gross, Propper, Ryan, Bernardo, but this season none of our attacking signings have produced what you need. It’s not easy, but perhaps you need to weigh up that for every 2 or 3 foreign league signings, you need a bread and butter signing from a player proven in England, whether PL or Championship. We haven’t signed a player who has been plying their trade in England for sometime - that to me is a poor strategy, not just about money.

You’re right I was being very simplistic

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Whilst not being an advocate of fiddling whilst Rome burns, I fully agree that we should get behind the manager and the team. Wether the team actually want to respond is the big question...

However, if we see another utter shit-show like we did yesterday I declare the wheels off, and I have no idea what we do from there. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here