Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Those magical first twenty minutes of the second half

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
I had a tear in my eye and lump in my throat for much of the game. SO proud of our boys yesterday.

Yeah, I welled up a few times, especially before the kick-off. In fact my wife turned to me and asked if I was alright!

Was just thinking about all that had happened in the intervening 36 years, and even the 28 years since the play-off final. There were times when I thought I'd never see those scenes again.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
From The Guardian write up

Brighton’s fans had turned up with their streamers, balloons and an old-school level of excitement that perhaps is no longer evident for City these days. They outnumbered City’s fans, out-sang them and stayed back at the end to applaud the efforts of the losing team.

Apart from "City, City, City" when they scrored, then "City, City, City" at the final whistle, I don't recall any noise from them at all.... My lad asked if they were all librarians.

The Brighton fans were immense.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Loved every single minute of yesterday. Was sat in the upper tier about eight rows from the front. Was so proud of the boys steadying the ship and getting to half-time having kept it at 1-0. Then those first twenty minutes of the second half happened. They were brave and courageous and you could see the team growing in belief. Defensive line pushed higher. Knockaert running the show, not scared of the price tag of the players in front of him. And then the crowd. Lower tier bouncing and constant noise, people dancing in the aisles. If Laporte hadn't somehow scooped away Duffy's header from Murray, I think the roof would have come off. As a life-long Albion fan, those moments are irreplaceable.

Incredibly proud and a day I shall not forget in a hurry.

Couldn’t agree more, however according to some on this forum we were quiet and out sung by City and according to City we are cheating divers, so you can’t please everyone!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Couldn’t agree more, however according to some on this forum we were quiet and out sung by City and according to City we are cheating divers, so you can’t please everyone!
I missed those posts. Who said we were quiet and outsung? Daft buggers.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yeah, I welled up a few times, especially before the kick-off. In fact my wife turned to me and asked if I was alright!

Was just thinking about all that had happened in the intervening 36 years, and even the 28 years since the play-off final. There were times when I thought I'd never see those scenes again.

It's time to move on now I hope. 15 years or so ago, I hoped we could become a sort of Ipswich-type team, regular Championship team, sometimes flirting with success or failure at either end. I honestly believed that the Premier League was totally unattainable for 'clubs like Brighton'.

I've only had tears on my cheeks at four games. Hereford (and that wasn't tears, more like a river), my first game at the Amex, Molineux in our promotion season when I knew we were going up, and before kick-off yesterday. The last three have all been a direct consequence of the first, and were basically 'I can't believe this is happening' feelings. I'm not sure what's left - we must have exorcised all of our ghosts from the late 1990s now.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I didn't enjoy the first few minutes at all, and they were the vital ones that sank us.

Toothless up front. Lots of huffing and puffing but no real end product. Other than the single second half near miss, we didn't test their keeper at all.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep, Wembley are doing something right with their stewards, they were kind and helpful at the gate as well. And all of us were allowed bottle tops in spite of being on the top tier.

Food and drink service was very efficient as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apart from "City, City, City" when they scrored, then "City, City, City" at the final whistle, I don't recall any noise from them at all.... My lad asked if they were all librarians.

I did hear a couple of quite loud renditions of Blue Moon

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

That and Blue moon was about all they sang, I was sat in neutral land and you could clearly hear Brighton fans owning Wembley.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I didn't enjoy the first few minutes at all, and they were the vital ones that sank us.

Toothless up front. Lots of huffing and puffing but no real end product. Other than the single second half near miss, we didn't test their keeper at all.

Sadly I agree, some people need to remove their blue and white tinted glasses. Having said that it was a great day out support was fantastic.

We need to get focused now for the task in hand next week, two massive games for the Albion. :bhasign:

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Maty didn’t have much to do either though......one decent save was it ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maty didn’t have much to do either though......one decent save was it ?

Nah that wasn’t a great save it was one you’d expect a keeper to make, that’s what the BBC commentator said :rolleyes:

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
It's time to move on now I hope. 15 years or so ago, I hoped we could become a sort of Ipswich-type team, regular Championship team, sometimes flirting with success or failure at either end. I honestly believed that the Premier League was totally unattainable for 'clubs like Brighton'.

I've only had tears on my cheeks at four games. Hereford (and that wasn't tears, more like a river), my first game at the Amex, Molineux in our promotion season when I knew we were going up, and before kick-off yesterday. The last three have all been a direct consequence of the first, and were basically 'I can't believe this is happening' feelings. I'm not sure what's left - we must have exorcised all of our ghosts from the late 1990s now.

Yeah, I sorta agree. I hate it when we lose and people are moaning on here, and then someone posts a "Let's have a bit of perspective" thread and goes on about how far we've come since Hereford. We can't go on using the past as a yardstick as we've moved on like you say.

However I don't think we'll ever be at the stage where trips to Wembley will be a regular occurrence; so if I'm lucky enough to see another I'l still be in reflective mood.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Yup we did well and with a bit of luck might have scored. It was a class hook out by Laporte. We look so much better when we show belief and take it to the opposition. We could have made it to ET or given City's lack of chances even made it to pens when who knows ...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, I sorta agree. I hate it when we lose and people are moaning on here, and then someone posts a "Let's have a bit of perspective" thread and goes on about how far we've come since Hereford. We can't go on using the past as a yardstick as we've moved on like you say.

However I don't think we'll ever be at the stage where trips to Wembley will be a regular occurrence; so if I'm lucky enough to see another I'l still be in reflective mood.

It was great to see us come out and have a real go in that second half, and who knows what might have happened if Walker had seen red? Playing like that we have nothing to fear from Bournemouth or Cardiff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here