Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea away is the time to judge him, is it? Bravo all, well done. It was a game we had obviously thrown away, the inclusion of Bong made that pretty obvious. Before the end of the season we'll see what he's about, if allowed to continue starting in his natural position. If he's not, then we should apologise to him for wasting his and our time.

3 years worth of scouting to play him out of position and in a role which means he's more a full back than a winger.

Did you just tune in to this season yesterday? Anyone reading your post might think Chelsea was his debut, FFS.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Will wait until we actually see him played in the position he was very good in for Alkmaar. No idea how good he is until then, being played as a defensive Left-sided midfielder. Hard to judge him when he's not getting to use pretty much any of the attributes we bought him for.

Chelsea away is the time to judge him, is it? Bravo all, well done. It was a game we had obviously thrown away, the inclusion of Bong made that pretty obvious. Before the end of the season we'll see what he's about, if allowed to continue starting in his natural position. If he's not, then we should apologise to him for wasting his and our time.

3 years worth of scouting to play him out of position and in a role which means he's more a full back than a winger.

It was “a” game in which his performance could be judged. It was very poor - continually losing the ball cheaply. By contrast Bissouma really looked bright and effective despite the intensity of the opposition

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Will wait until we actually see him played in the position he was very good in for Alkmaar. No idea how good he is until then, being played as a defensive Left-sided midfielder. Hard to judge him when he's not getting to use pretty much any of the attributes we bought him for.

Though watching some of the goals he scored, it did involve him cutting inside and shooting, so I’m not entirely sure this is the case.

He was a slow starter at his previous club, so hopefully next season will be his time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

His role may have been tweaked, but I don't think you can call the way he has been played as a defensive left-sided midfielder. He has played as one of two wide men supporting a main striker (both sides), often receiving the ball furthest up the pitch, plenty of chances to break, beat people, cross, get in the box. He just hasn't done anything with those opportunities. If anyone offered us £10m or even £8m right now, today, I'd take it, cut our losses and re-invest. I'd be more than happy for you to bump this if he gets the winner on Saturday...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Though watching some of the goals he scored, it did involve him cutting inside and shooting, so I’m not entirely sure this is the case.

He was a slow starter at his previous club, so hopefully next season will be his time.

He showreel of very good goals I saw the other day - to remind myself there IS a very good player in there! - exclusively involve him starting from either the middle or right of the box. Not one clip shows him coming from the left hand side.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He showreel of very good goals I saw the other day - to remind myself there IS a very good player in there! - exclusively involve him starting from either the middle or right of the box. Not one clip shows him coming from the left hand side.

theres a theme emerging about players not in the right place, roles, we've had above said for others. the sum is not as much as the parts right now, needs decisive changes to make it work as intended.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]

What have we done to the poor chap.
Thankfully we're all, even Hughton, allowed to make a mistake.

...oh

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Just watched some more and a lot of them are from the middle of the field, perhaps that is his better position, because he doesn’t seem to have the attributes to be a winger. (Pace, crossing ability).

His stronger foot is his right, so actually cutting the in from the left, if anything, should favour him.

It might be good to see him playing off Murray in a ‘free role’.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
So far its clear he is very good at something, and that is losing the ball. I'm happy to give him more time though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just watched some more and a lot of them are from the middle of the field, perhaps that is his better position, because he doesn’t seem to have the attributes to be a winger. (Pace, crossing ability).

His stronger foot is his right, so actually cutting the in from the left, if anything, should favour him.

It might be good to see him playing off Murray in a ‘free role’.

Just like the best of Propper before we bought him. Stockpiling number 10s and playing them out of position. Not sure why.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Not very impressed for the price tag.
He needs game time to improve but we need players who can put in a shift, we don't have the time to give players time to improve or we might as well give the best youth players a chance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of your top 10 goals in your youtube highlights package being a penalty - you do have to wonder...
For all we know it might have been a pressure penalty in something like a shoot out at the end of a cup quarter final.

We wouldn't want a player who's likely to miss one of those. :lol:

His role may have been tweaked, but I don't think you can call the way he has been played as a defensive left-sided midfielder. He has played as one of two wide men supporting a main striker (both sides), often receiving the ball furthest up the pitch, plenty of chances to break, beat people, cross, get in the box. He just hasn't done anything with those opportunities. If anyone offered us £10m or even £8m right now, today, I'd take it, cut our losses and re-invest. I'd be more than happy for you to bump this if he gets the winner on Saturday...

Yes, actually you'd assume the switch to 4-3-3 from 4-4-1-1 means Hughton is encouraging the wingers to get closer to Murray/Andone, not to the full-backs

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not very impressed for the price tag.
He needs game time to improve but we need players who can put in a shift, we don't have the time to give players time to improve or we might as well give the best youth players a chance.

They are having to play in a rigid backs to the wall formation, not entirely the players' faults.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wonder whether things would have been different had his effort against Huddersfield(?) dipped another two inches and gone in when he cut inside and curled it rather than cannoning back off the bar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here