Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I actually feel like we could get ourselves a win tonight;

Ryan
Montoya Duffy Dunk Bernardo
Bissouma Stephens Propper
Jahanbakhsh Locadia Izquierdo​

Allow Ali J the freedom to do what he does from the right which also allows Montoya the freedom of some space on that side, which he thrives in. Izquierdo needs a run out and his pace on the counter against Azpilicueta will make him reign in his attacking forays. Hudson-Odoi and Hazard don't really track back so our full backs could get a bit of license to join our inevitable counter attacking chances. Locadia has the pace to get away from Rudiger and Luiz and if we give him a chance to shoot inside the area - he'll probably score.

It's a free hit ahead of City, why not have a bit of a go?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We do have a bit of a knack for picking off the out of form big teams when we've played them (United, Arsenal) but normally at home. But you never know, we'll still likely lose but I don't think it's a slam dunk as if we were playing at the Etihad.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Ryan

Allow Ali J the freedom to do what he does from the right which also allows Montoya the freedom of some space on that side, which he thrives in. Izquierdo needs a run out and his pace on the counter against Azpilicueta will make him reign in his attacking forays. Hudson-Odoi and Hazard don't really track back so our full backs could get a bit of license to join our inevitable counter attacking chances. Locadia has the pace to get away from Rudiger and Luiz and if we give him a chance to shoot inside the area - he'll probably score.

I'd go along with that. But you just know Solly March will start.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South

Ryan

Good uplifting post!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I'm not so sure - he's found himself out of the starting line up whenever there have been other options, Izquierdo was behind him in the pecking order on saturday but I think that Chris has previously shown he's not opposed to making a bold change for a game we're essentially just completing. Locadia started away at Man City and it was the right idea then, it's the right idea now - but with a bit more pace on the flanks with Izquierdo and Jahanbakhsh FINALLY allowed to play in his natural position. Which I believe will get the best out of Montoya, who looked smashing when Knockaert had abandoned the right wing toward the end of the game on saturday.

Good uplifting post!

I don't know why I do it to myself. I have such belief in this squad and these players, but then the game starts and I remember that my confidence doesn't seem to be shared either in the dugout or on the pitch. If we believed that we could win the game tonight, rather than just tokenly saying we can in the press, I think we'd stand a chance. As it is, we'll probably lose 2-0 and consider it a good night for the old goal difference.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think we'll win.

No logical basis for it, just gut instinct.

Glad it's not just me, [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]!

I just hope the team I suggested is what's picked, or close enough. In reality, I expect Ali J will be benched and I wouldn't be totally surprised to see one of Montoya and Bernardo benched as well. I think the plan will be to start with Murray on saturday, so I expect to see him rested tonight. He has scored a winning goal at Stamford Bridge in the past, though... Admittedly, having come on as a substitute.

Last edited by a moderator:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A nice,gentle run out,no injuries and a single point will do nicely as a warm-up for ending 4 trophy dreams.:albion2:

Since this is a free hit how about playing the FAC squad tonight and playing full strength squad at Wemberleeee? Someone already suggest Bruno might play so i would also play Burn for Dunk. And if we are going to play 4-3-3 lets do it properly please with AJ upfront with Andone & Locadia (if fit) or March playing more forward roll.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Football fans are a strange breed, aren't we?

I know that everything points to an inevitable defeat. All the evidence - all of it, every last piece - tells us that we're going to lose. And lose meekly.

But instead of expecting another limp defeat where we barely bother to get out of our half I'll be going to bed not just hoping but believing that somehow we can get a result. What the ****'s wrong with me?!

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
I'm not so sure - he's found himself out of the starting line up whenever there have been other options, Izquierdo was behind him in the pecking order on saturday but I think that Chris has previously shown he's not opposed to making a bold change for a game we're essentially just completing. Locadia started away at Man City and it was the right idea then, it's the right idea now - but with a bit more pace on the flanks with Izquierdo and Jahanbakhsh FINALLY allowed to play in his natural position. Which I believe will get the best out of Montoya, who looked smashing when Knockaert had abandoned the right wing toward the end of the game on saturday.

I don't know why I do it to myself. I have such belief in this squad and these players, but then the game starts and I remember that my confidence doesn't seem to be shared either in the dugout or on the pitch. If we believed that we could win the game tonight, rather than just tokenly saying we can in the press, I think we'd stand a chance. As it is, we'll probably lose 2-0 and consider it a good night for the old goal difference.

A bit of positiveity doesn't hurt thou.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

Ryan

Good uplifting post!

My Sauce tells me the following:

Bruno and Bong to start
March in for Knocky
Andone in for Murray
Locadia was due to start but injured his calf

And Izzy isn't fully fit and needs a knee op at the end of the season, wonder why he is in any squad??

Don't shoot the messenger.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Since we've got promoted, we've lost all 9 away games against the top 6. We've scored 2 and conceded 19 in those matches so I'm not holding out much hope.

Sounds like it's time for that to change .... just by the law of averages, we must get something against one of them eventually, and Chelsea have looked pretty ordinary at times this season.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Like we did against Chelsea at home last season. 0-4.

Would be suicide.

It's a bit like Brexit. It's a lot more complicated than we all think. "just go for it/leave means leave". Nonsense.

PG

Please could one of the mods please merge this thread into the Brexit thread, please?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Really hope CH proves most of us wrong today, playing for the win rather than a clean sheet, and maybe even upsetting the odds.

How do we know when he is "playing for a win" ?
is he playing for a win when we er, win ? Or are all those wins "luck".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here