Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fulham gone

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Me too. A better GD is worth half a point in my eyes too because it is not enough for Cardiff to merely match our points total, as they would be below us by default.

But imposing the idea of half a point, or any kind of specific % value to GD is (forgive the pun) pointless, because its a binary aspect - its either enough to see you above a team you're level on points with, or its not. You might as well say its worth a third of a point, or a quarter of a point. You don't see us in the table sitting there with 33.5 points because our GD is better than Southamptons and Burnley's, so why treat it as "half a point" ?

You had it right by saying they'll be below us by default if they match our points tally. There's no need for this half point nonsense.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is it?
Riyad Mahrez - Le Harve to Leicester £400k

or

Fernando Torres - Liverpool to Chelsea £50m
Andy Carroll - Newcastle to Liverpool £35m

Maddison - £22.5m fee
Moutinho - £100k a week wages
B.Silva - £45m & £120k a week wages

Generally, you have to invest heavily to get quality creators, when agents market their players to all and sundry.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
yes...but mahrez has been here for 5 0r 6 years now ....?? we would have no doubt had come in contact with him pre season ....no..?? didn't fit the agenda...??

no doubting his quality...!!

He joined Leicester in 2014 - Were we really in a position to realistically lure him away from Le Havre at the time or before that?
Did he or the club turn us down?
Would he have been the player he became if he had left a few years earlier than the Leicester transfer to join us instead of having a few seasons more at Le Havre?

We were a lower league team, that had been playing in a lower league that Leicester for many seasons, only recently having moved to our new ground and we were still not well know internationally or thought of as a club with huge potential and a good destination for ambitious players (something that may still be counting against us as we try to sign top quality players nowadays) So i'm not sure we ever really had a chance

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
yes...but mahrez has been here for 5 0r 6 years now ....?? we would have no doubt had come in contact with him pre season ....no..?? didn't fit the agenda...??

Have you ever heard of a , ?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Our links with Le Havre were back in 2004/2006. Thirteen years ago.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But imposing the idea of half a point, or any kind of specific % value to GD is (forgive the pun) pointless, because its a binary aspect - its either enough to see you above a team you're level on points with, or its not. You might as well say its worth a third of a point, or a quarter of a point. You don't see us in the table sitting there with 33.5 points because our GD is better than Southamptons and Burnley's, so why treat it as "half a point" ?

You had it right by saying they'll be below us by default if they match our points tally. There's no need for this half point nonsense.
You could call it a third of a point or pi/100 of a point if you prefer. The reason for any of it is to short-handedly point out that we have an additional, lesser advantage over them over and above a better points haul.

You could either say "we are 5 points better off than Cardiff and with a noticeably superior GD" or "we are effectively 5.5 points better off than Cardiff" - you choose. They both say the same thing. In each case, Cardiff will go above us if they get 6 points more than us, but stay behind if they get 5 points more than us.

What isn't true to say is that "we are effectively 6 points better off than Cardiff", because that doesn't explain what happens if Cardiff get 6 points more than us, when the fact is that we would be behind them. :shrug:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Mahrez joined Le Harve in 2010 the link with Le Harve was earlier than that (I think the pre season friendly over there was something like 2005) and I am not sure what ties still existed between the clubs once Bloom took over.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You could call it a third of a point or pi/100 of a point if you prefer. The reason for any of it is to short-handedly point out that we have an additional, lesser advantage over them over and above a better points haul.

You could either say "we are 5 points better off than Cardiff and with a noticeably superior GD" or "we are effectively 5.5 points better off than Cardiff" - you choose. They both say the same thing. In each case, Cardiff will go above us if they get 6 points more than us, but stay behind if they get 5 points more than us.

What isn't true to say is that "we are effectively 6 points better off than Cardiff", because that doesn't explain what happens if Cardiff get 6 points more than us, when the fact is that we would be behind them. :shrug:

Well I've never heard it termed like that before, or considered us to be "effectively 5.5 points better off than Cardiff", because that would then imply we are 1.5 points behind Newcastle instead of 2 (and how would that then work if our GD was inferior or superior - do we add/subtract 0.25 of a point in relation to them ?).

I agree with your last paragraph of course, that makes perfect sense. But this half point business is for the birds, and I want NO part of it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well I've never heard it termed like that before, or considered us to be "effectively 5.5 points better off than Cardiff", because that would then imply we are 1.5 points behind Newcastle instead of 2 (and how would that then work if our GD was inferior or superior - do we add/subtract 0.25 of a point in relation to them ?).

A agree with your last point of course, that makes perfect sense. But this half point business is for the birds, and I want NO part of it.
Yes. Seagulls, Bluebirds and Magpies. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I agree with your last paragraph of course, that makes perfect sense. But this half point business is for the birds, and I want NO part of it.

We’re 5 points better off, but Cardiff need 6 to overtake us due to our vastly superior GD. [emoji2369][emoji2369]

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire

Well, Cardiff need one extra point than they would if their goal difference was better than us. So, it is worth an extra point as they'd only need 5 points if their gd was better.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He joined Leicester in 2014 - Were we really in a position to realistically lure him away from Le Havre at the time or before that?
Did he or the club turn us down?
Would he have been the player he became if he had left a few years earlier than the Leicester transfer to join us instead of having a few seasons more at Le Havre?

We were a lower league team, that had been playing in a lower league that Leicester for many seasons, only recently having moved to our new ground and we were still not well know internationally or thought of as a club with huge potential and a good destination for ambitious players (something that may still be counting against us as we try to sign top quality players nowadays) So i'm not sure we ever really had a chance

If we're going to talk about Le Havre players we didn't sign - let's go with the big one. Paul Pogba. He was poached from Le Havre by Manchester United in 2009, aged 16. If only, eh! He'd have had first team chances here under Russell Slade in 2009 for sure! There would have been no need for the loan signing of Matt Thornhill after all...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we're going to talk about Le Havre players we didn't sign - let's go with the big one. Paul Pogba. He was poached from Le Havre by Manchester United in 2009, aged 16. If only, eh! He'd have had first team chances here under Russell Slade in 2009 for sure! There would have been no need for the loan signing of Matt Thornhill after all...

Had CH singed Pogba he might be lucky enough to get on the bench by now.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

The way I see it is that GD as only comes into play in the event of points being level, and acts then as an 'adjustment' hence why a half point is a more accurate representation of the reality.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The way I see it is that GD as only comes into play in the event of points being level, and acts then as an 'adjustment' hence why a half point is a more accurate representation of the reality.

I think referring to half-points steps away from a representation of reality, as there's no such thing as half a point.

Its semantics though, we all know exactly how it works and what it means. The 'half point' malarky just struck me as a slightly odd way of referring to it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think referring to half-points steps away from a representation of reality, as there's no such thing as half a point.

Its semantics though, we all know exactly how it works and what it means. The 'half point' malarky just struck me as a slightly odd way of referring to it.

Yeah fair enough. I'm just bored at work waiting for tonight to tick round so thought I'd chime in.

And your 'for the birds' line made me smile because it immediately brought this to mind:
pink.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah fair enough. I'm just bored at work waiting for tonight to tick round so thought I'd chime in.

And your 'for the birds' line made me smile because it immediately brought this to mind:
View attachment 107047

Thats probably where I got it from. My favourite scene, in one of my all-time favourite movies :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Effectively it would take a dramatic turnaround for 5 points to be sufficient for Cardiff to overtake us. So it can be said that they need 6 points to achieve that although not technically correct.

Mitrovic has had the most shots in the PL (110), and scored 10 goals. That is a pretty awful return, he's not a good finisher.

Unfortunately for us Bissoumas probably has had about 40 shots now and 3/4 of them didnt even get past the penalty spot or ends up in the stands so even a 10% return is 9% better than our teams' (except Murray)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here