Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Seriously, this government is failing us. Schools closing...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
this. GP end of the NHS is shockingly disorganised and inefficient, knock on effect to others. needs a radical overhaul but they made it too expensive to make them change.

Our practise in Newhaven is rated as very good. I've never failed to get a same day appointment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It all depends in the case of schools on what you regard as a waste. I am sure that most schools do not intentionally waste huge sums of cash, as such, but of course how they spend their allocation might not always be the best. Having had all my life experience of schools, I know that in the case of staff absence in primary schools for example, some heads will save cash by talking the class, whereas others would prefer the cosy comforts of their office and happily engage agency staff - over a year, this can amount to thousands. And it has to be said that schools end up having to pay for staff, who have found out that with an agreeable GP, they can be absent for months on end, returning only when a decrease in salary is in the offing.

Sick leave is a difficult one in all walks of life. How do employers sort the:

1. Liars, exaggerators, from
2. The ill.

I hope you include all forms of mental health issues in your definition of valid illness. Only a callous system/person would underplay that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
interesting, we say the health service is underfunded, terrible waiting times to wide agreement, but then roundly say how easy access is and wonderful care is at the same time.

I don't understand why everyone seems to complain that they can't get an appointment with a specific doctor asap.

important point here is i do not want an appointment with a specifc doctor, thats their system. id be happy to see any available, not necessarily even at the same surgery, they dictate that have to be registered. or, i can use drop in which seems to dispense with these rules.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh, come on - no one really thanks that. If you have the impression that everyone has problems, and I too share that, then there has to be something wrong. Your surgery would seem to be better in that access to the GP is easier. Where I go, and my wife who goes elsewhere, we have to phone at 8.30, and if you are lucky enough to get through, then the doctor will phone you back to assess where you need to be seen or not. Guess what happens when you try to phone dead on 8.30. . .

The point I was making was that some people expect to get an appointment quickly with their specific GP. I can of course only comment on my experience and that is a surgery in Burgess Hill. That said, I know there are plenty of issues and many of them could be resolved with the appropriate funding. We under fund health care in this country compared to similar economies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The point I was making was that some people expect to get an appointment quickly with their specific GP. I can of course only comment on my experience and that is a surgery in Burgess Hill. That said, I know there are plenty of issues and many of them could be resolved with the appropriate funding. We under fund health care in this country compared to similar economies.

We do.

(Other than the Trump/Pence American model. I don’t think their NSC supporters would fancy being ill, if living in the States).

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, I am sure that is the case. On previous chats about this, I stated that I prefer the german system, but then again, they pay far more than we do. Perhaps the NHS would be better with more cash but we brits do like to have things on the cheap. Where perhaps we differ, is that I have my doubts as to whether the NHS would be much better with more money - huge state-run organisations tend not to be the most efficient, when other people's money is involved i.e, the distant taxpayer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Our practise in Newhaven is rated as very good. I've never failed to get a same day appointment.

But it goes beyond same day appointments .... although those are difficult to get at my practise anyway. When work you sometimes want to be able to book an appointment in advance - need to warn the boss etc. My old practise didn't allow this - same day appointments only. I can't ring at 8.30 ( when I'm supposed to start work ), hope to get through and then tell my boss I'm off in an hour to go to the doctors. And don't get me started on how they can be running behind first thing in the morning ! Whole GP system is a shambles.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
as long as people are more concerned with the anti semitism in the labour party, all the horrific things this tory government has done will be brushed under the carpet

How about being concerned with both? Fair minded people are. This government are negatiively analysed to death on NSC and in the media, failings given huge airing. That should in no way stop us attacking the scum on the left and right targeting a race of people, Jews, with their vile, or any other racial grouping.

Any touchy Labour supporters need to examine their moral compass.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yes, I am sure that is the case. On previous chats about this, I stated that I prefer the german system, but then again, they pay far more than we do. Perhaps the NHS would be better with more cash but we brits do like to have things on the cheap. Where perhaps we differ, is that I have my doubts as to whether the NHS would be much better with more money - huge state-run organisations tend not to be the most efficient, when other people's money is involved i.e, the distant taxpayer.

I have a German relative who died of cancer in Germany. The standard of cleanliness, facilities etc in the hospital - great. The constant pushing of expensive (and profitable) treatment on someone who was teminally ill and in the late stages (a largely pointless heart operation, for instance) - not so good, according to my mother-in-law who was in the medical profession herself when she was younger.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
as long as people are more concerned with the anti semitism in the labour party, all the horrific things this tory government has done will be brushed under the carpet

Oh Albion, have a cup of tea and reflect on what Weststander has said. It may do you good!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don't understand why everyone seems to complain that they can't get an appointment with a specific doctor asap. Do people think GPs are sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for people to call? The exception is when someone may have very terminal conditions and even then, appointments/check ups are normally made a few weeks in advance. Our surgery run a daily emergency session where you go and wait and see any doctor available. It's for those occasions when you might need prompt prescription, say for anitbiotics for an ear infection etc. If I've needed to go, I'm normally seen within an hour at most, usually a lot less.

I can book appointments online as well but then you usually need to wait at least a week.

Fair point, but there are occasions when it can be most beneficial to see the same doctor. I refer to mental health issues as one example. The relationship between medic and patient is pretty important in such cases and differs somewhat from seeking treatment for a simple problem such as a boil on the bottom, for instance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But it goes beyond same day appointments .... although those are difficult to get at my practise anyway. When work you sometimes want to be able to book an appointment in advance - need to warn the boss etc. My old practise didn't allow this - same day appointments only. I can't ring at 8.30 ( when I'm supposed to start work ), hope to get through and then tell my boss I'm off in an hour to go to the doctors. And don't get me started on how they can be running behind first thing in the morning ! Whole GP system is a shambles.

We have pre-bookable appointments as well.
Work are supposed to allow you time for medical appointments, but not every employer does.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
So we shouldn’t be able to afford to school our children?

We definately need to school our children better.

You can't even correctly spell the STD you've named yourself after.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
and yet they have the millions required to renovate big ben and buck house.......priorities and all that ....:tosser:

All governments have to balance the many priorities -it is far too simplistic to say that one area should take precedence over another.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
All governments have to balance the many priorities -it is far too simplistic to say that one area should take precedence over another.
Bollocks.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Bollocks.

Moshe for PM.........well, perhaps not!:lolol:
It ain't that easy Moshe, I can't think of anybody or any Government that has managed to please all the people even most of the time.
I do believe that the prime consideration of any Government is to protect its people ,and even then, it is jolly hard for all 'the people' to decide and agree
what this really means.
Heaven help any Government !
Who'd want to be a politician? What a thankless task in this day and age.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here