Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] West Indies v England 3rd Test

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Many quicks in the past have been capable of short, hostile spells. Who knows how quick Larwood was in the bodyline series? It was enough to unsettle the greatest player of all time. Frank Tyson destroyed Australia, down under in 54-55, with lightning speed. Seasoned pro's like Keith Miller said he was a yard quicker than anything he faced in his whole career. Alan Ward of Derbyshire broke into the England team bowling incredibly quickly but his action couldn't be sustained and injury finished his career. If you watched a fired-up Devon Malcolm destroy South Africa with his nine wicket haul, no-one could persuade me that some of that stuff wasn't well over 90mph.
Now its recorded. Then, it largely wasn't. You relied on the batsmen and keeper/slips telling how quick someone was.
Many bowlers are capable of a 'quick one ' They have it in their locker. Although not English ( I use it as comparison ) Charlie Griffith used to lumber in and generally be slower than Wes Hall. Apart from when he ' threw ' in his quicker one and that went through batsmen before they had brought the bat down! Some quicker bowlers can be more hostile than out and out quick, if you get my meaning.
It is the ability to sustain higher speeds( 90mph+) over a few overs that sets the genuine quicks apart.

I’ve often wondered if there was a way of watching old film and working out how quick they were in days gone by. Surely they could do it couldn’t they ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
19/1 Burns out first delivery of the day

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Burns gone first ball... classic

The Barmy Army are still only halfway through Jerusalem.

19-1, leading by 142

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I read yesterday that we have Wood who can bowl at that pace.
The Aussies have 3 or 4 :(

From next month you can add Jofra Archer to our list.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Burns gone first ball... classic

The Barmy Army are still only halfway through Jerusalem.

19-1, leading by 142

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
FFS I've played that straight to square leg! :(

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I’ve often wondered if there was a way of watching old film and working out how quick they were in days gone by. Surely they could do it couldn’t they ?

In theory it should be easy, if they can prove the film is running at the correct speed its just a case of timing how long the ball takes to travel the distance between release and the batsman. There will certainly be a margin of error but they should be able to do it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Hetmyer drops a dolly at 3rd slip ... Denly (who was all at sea trying to avoid that short ball) has a life on 12

The big man Gabriel is spitting feathers.

37-1, leading by 160

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Keemo Paul has pulled a muscle chasing a ball to the fence... and has been stretchered away after treatment out on the boundary. Poor chap :nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In theory it should be easy, if they can prove the film is running at the correct speed its just a case of timing how long the ball takes to travel the distance between release and the batsman. There will certainly be a margin of error but they should be able to do it.

On old cinefilm, the margin for error would be pretty high, because the film was shot as low as 14 frames per second. About 20% roughly.

A delivery in excess of 90mph takes (almost) exactly 0.5 seconds to travel from bowler's hand to the stumps. At 14 FPS, that means all you could do is count the frames it took the ball to carry, and get as accurate as 8=trundle, 7=quick, 8=rapid.

#FagPacketMaths

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Jennings and Burns as openers? Jesus wept.

I miss Trescothick, Cook and Strauss

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Lunch, Day 3

England 108-2, Denly 45* and Root 18*

Leading by 231 with 8 wickets in hand.

A good session for England after the first ball wicket of Burns.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We are worldbeaters ! Never in doubt.....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We are worldbeaters ! Never in doubt.....

:lolol:

Bit worrying really. Much talk of Denly securing the number 3 spot. Uncomfortable at times against the short delivery. Reminds me of Nick Compton. It's not inspiring even if he does land three figures here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Call me picky but I just can't get excited about a dead rubber in a series in which we've been absolutely spanked, where players featuring have not inspired confidence. Our top order looks absolutely gash, and with the exception of Wood's spell yesterday, our bowlers have been toilet for the whole tour.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Call me picky but I just can't get excited about a dead rubber in a series in which we've been absolutely spanked, where players featuring have not inspired confidence. Our top order looks absolutely gash, and with the exception of Wood's spell yesterday, our bowlers have been toilet for the whole tour.
Bit picky.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
and with the exception of Wood's spell yesterday, our bowlers have been toilet for the whole tour.

In the first inning of this series, Sir Jimmy Anderson bowled 30 overs, taking 5 wickets for 46 runs.

I think that probably deserves to be considered an 'exception' too...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here