Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A listing of Albion's professionals in 2018-19 with current status and contract duration

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Cheers AZ. It looks like the club is following the Chelsea model of getting a whole load of youngsters in and then chucking them all out on loan. I'm guessing this is a good business model (TB is certainly no fool), but do you think a) it is sustainable and b) other clubs will follow suit?

I can see the sense of it, but not sure I like it. In the case of, say, Walton, is he REALLY going out on loan to get experience for when he steps up to the first team, or is that just a 'line' that is being fed to try and bump his price up to the most willing suitor?

I share your concern; as a football fan, it doesn't sit well with me that the top clubs (and we ARE one of those, officially, being one of the 30 clubs in the world with the highest revenue streams) hoard young talent and loan it out, knowing that most of the players will never play for the first team but instead will generate a profit when sold. In an ideal world many of these younger prospects would be owned by clubs up and down the pyramid, playing regularly, providing entertainment to fans and ultimately helping keep that club afloat when one of the big boys comes in with an offer.

FIFA have ratified new loan regulations from the 2020-21 season onwards that are meant to restrict the number of loan moves a club can make, but it seems that there will be sufficient exclusions that the new rules will have practically no impact on clubs like Chelsea and Albion. Such is life in the Premier League in 2019.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
From the U23s, Gyokeres, Molumby & Sanders all up in 18 months...I would have thought there would be wheels in motion behind the scenes to rectify that, as they're all highly thought of.

Also interesting to see that there's only three first team players with a contract expiring within 18 months. Balogun & Kayal (both backup players, fairly easily replaced) - and Murray, who I assume due to his age we'd only offer a 1 year rolling deal to, if he keeps banging in the goals. There's clearly a 'protection of our assets' approach being undertaken - anyone wanting our key players is going to have to write a very large cheque.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Who is Ben Wilson, who is in our 10 going to the HK tournament ?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Who is Ben Wilson, who is in our 10 going to the HK tournament ?

17 year old midfielder from Northern Ireland according to the club website. Signed July last year.

More about him signing

https://www.derrynow.com/sport/derr...cross-water-joins-brighton-hove-albion/234721

He is a first-year scholar this season.

He is a striker, not a midfielder.

Before he joined us, in September 2017, he became the youngest-ever goalscorer (at the age of 15) for the Coleraine first team when he netted in a cup semi-final.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not sure if there is a more up to date list, but I refer to this one a lot....

Anyway - a new contract for Dan Burn up to 2023.

:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here