Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Elton John

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Why would I not go and see an artist I totally admire and agree with every word of his rant.
However I wish artists would stick to music, even my hero Stevie Wonder makes me cringe when he goes on about God, Africa and other stuff.
The clever bit is saying it through great songs not ranting and preaching when people have paid a lot of money to hear you play and sing
(See also 15 minute drum solos)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, I'm British, and comfortable with that. Happy to live in friendship alongside Europe (and as a part of the geographical continent of Europe), yes, absolutely, but no, I don't identify as (to use a current popular expression) European.

You had best go somewhere else then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, I'm British, and comfortable with that. Happy to live in friendship alongside Europe (and as a part of the geographical continent of Europe), yes, absolutely, but no, I don't identify as (to use a current popular expression) European.

As I said, narrow minded Little Englander.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A big fan of Eltons music, not many people can write so many decent songs over such a lengthy career and remain so popular in society

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Errr...that sounds quite a lot like being a little Englander. Have I missed something?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

It would help your cause immeasurably if you would appear just a little more tolerant of those of us who might have a different opinion to yours. Slagging them off and making them appear to be idiots for daring not to hold the same view as yours, is hardly the way forward.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I can't stand this "I feel European" or "I feel English" or "I feel non-European" shite.
It's pure bullshit. No one feels these things. We collectively feel happiness, love, sadness, pain, sorrow etc. Not a culture, race or a land mass. Anyways, who gives a shit that a pop singer is ashamed to be English? He was probably just feeling a bit down when he made that statement? His opinion is very weak on these matters, like a candle in the wind. I think his taste in what he selects at the opticians is more of a concern.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can't stand this "I feel European" or "I feel English" or "I feel non-European" shite.
It's pure bullshit. No one feels these things. We collectively feel happiness, love, sadness, pain, sorrow etc. Not a culture, race or a land mass. Anyways, who gives a shit that a pop singer is ashamed to be English? He was probably just feeling a bit down when he made that statement? His opinion is very weak on these matters, like a candle in the wind. I think his taste in what he selects at the opticians is more of a concern.

I think one can feel in tune with a certain culture. Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your post.

As for Elton’s comments, it’s not like we have lost a vote on where to have dinner. Leaving the EU is a huge deal (or no deal) and people are going to have strong feelings on the matter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No one can feel a culture? You really believe this?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Maybe I'm the only one, but culture for me is an experience rather than an emotion. Your interpretation of how a place feels is really you explaining how you felt when you were there rather than the emotions given out by wherever you were. Some people like busy, loud, hectic environments. Some people like the opposite. Therefore people will have totally different reports on how the same place felt due to their own emotions at that time.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’ve lived in Germany, Spain and France as well as England and feel unashamedly European, and I’m older than you.

Except when it comes to sport and then I am 100% English and British if required :smile:

European here too. Studied French and German in the 70s at Uni. Have done some Spanish and Italian as well. Always feel fairly at home in Europe as a whole.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But you are a Little Englander. We know this from your various ramblings on other threads.

I think that's a tad harsh, but I did snigger. A bit. Sorry. :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
72-year old multi-millionaire with a bad hair weave and homes in California, Atlanta, London, Surrey, Nice and Venice finds his enormous wealth isolates him from many of the day-to-day pressures and social tensions that may have led many to vote 'Leave' 2016.*

* For the purposes of clarity, I'm referring to Elton John, not [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION].

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

I agree with what Megazone is saying. You can sense aspects of a culture, but what you feel are your emotions in response to that sensing. People sometimes do not understand what a feeling is. I have run workshops in companies where you ask people what they are feeling - it is really common for them to answer with what they are thinking or sensing. You have to persist with saying "no, what are you feeling?".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here