Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Argus comments section

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Genuine question TB. What so you think will happen when football is blessed with a female Messi, so talented that some top PL clubs want her in the first team? Surly if she has the talent, no one should be allowed to put up barriers to stop her?

That's up to the FA to change the rules. The FA is full of male masons, so I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Now why do you think that should be? Could it possibly be because they have another element in each sport to fulfil it?
Horses and cars?

It's not always the case that there needs to be another element: there are no barriers stopping women and men playing together in cricket. Indeed, we've already seen some women play league cricket up north and grade cricket in Australia - one step below first class. I sincerely believe that I'll live to see a woman in first class cricket.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's not always the case that there needs to be another element: there are no barriers stopping women and men playing together in cricket. Indeed, we've already seen some women play league cricket up north and grade cricket in Australia - one step below first class. I sincerely believe that I'll live to see a woman in first class cricket.

Yes, I agree. Cricket is more about stamina rather than brute strength.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Please don't tar my ancestors with his brush
I didnt, perhaps your ancestors evolved from more forward thinking cavemen

Not being a fan of women's football is fine, but to not think they should be allowed to play is mental

Agree personally

it's not a generation thing.

Agree to disagree on that one :thumbsup: Not so long ago many of us thought it was normal to smoke on buses, aeroplanes, and in restaurants. Just saying like (I don't know if that's the best good comparison but it seem ludicrous now doesn't it)

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
That's up to the FA to change the rules. The FA is full of male masons, so I can't see it happening in my lifetime.

Yes but I can see it ending up in the courts. How can you stop someone earning 2K a week from taking a job paying 300K a week based purely on gender? That;s discrimination and I can't see the courts allowing it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I believe that m,en should be men and women should be women and never the twain to cross. Old fashioned it may be but I still open a door and walk on the road side of the pavement when with a lady of any age.

I do that too; it was the way I was brought up.

Just because I exercise good manners and show respect doesn't mean that I believe a woman's place is in the kitchen.

You have really become a total embarrassment. Ben must be so proud of you and your warped ideas.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree to disagree on that one :thumbsup: Not so long ago many of us thought it was normal to smoke on buses, aeroplanes, and in restaurants. Just saying like (I don't know if that's the best good comparison but it seem ludicrous now doesn't it)
I'm aware of cultural changes between generations, and aware that sexism was even more of a problem in the past than it is now, but his views were out of date when he was young.

You could compare the issue with racism - it's still an issue today, it's not as bad as it was, but if you've got some old tw@ being racist now it's not right to just pass it off as a generation thing.

If he was 150 years old, then fair enough, you could call that a generation thing. But he's not. His views are from the 19th century. He's a bigot. He stands out among his peers as a bigot, and you insult his peers to suggest that's what that generation is like (IMO).

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm aware of cultural changes between generations, and aware that sexism was even more of a problem in the past than it is now, but his views were out of date when he was young.

You could compare the issue with racism - it's still an issue today, it's not as bad as it was, but if you've got some old tw@ being racist now it's not right to just pass it off as a generation thing.

If he was 150 years old, then fair enough, you could call that a generation thing. But he's not. His views are from the 19th century. He's a bigot. He stands out among his peers as a bigot, and you insult his peers to suggest that's what that generation is like (IMO).

I know and yes you could compare it with racism. You could compare it with the stigma attached with HIV in the 80s. I could compare it to how I see white South Africans often but not always treat their domestic workers. Not so much the younger ones. I could compare it to lots of things. To say I am insulting his peers is kinda ridiculous. Thats not my intention. Sorry if you think it is, Thats my observation and opinion thats all. I do see it as a generation thing. And that doesnt tar everyone with the same generation, or race, or whatever with the same brush. I'm not agreeing not defending with BGs views neither. But comments (not from yourself) about how proud Ben must be and stuff. Well each to their own

I hope there is a 2nd stadium and not a "womens" one. Thats kinda backwards. Perhaps we should have a "womens" carriage on the train to get there

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Think it's time for a BG ban. His comments are overtly misogynistic, and completely out of touch with a) what NSC (and this thread) is about, and more widely, b) what our club represents.

Not just privately thinking it but outwardly and consistently voicing the opinion that women should have less rights than they currently have is pretty out of order, and not generational at all. Call it out for what it is, and let the whole board know that it isn't acceptable.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Put him on ignore and stop getting outraged by a post on a message board......life’s too short !

Think it's time for a BG ban. His comments are overtly misogynistic, and completely out of touch with a) what NSC (and this thread) is about, and more widely, b) what our club represents.

Not just privately thinking it but outwardly and consistently voicing the opinion that women should have less rights than they currently have is pretty out of order, and not generational at all. Call it out for what it is, and let the whole board know that it isn't acceptable.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Only a suggestion as I am anti womens football any way and think that Preston Park s more fitting to them. I realise that my views wont go down well with many but I believe that football cricket and rugby are mens sports and should remain so.

That is one of the stupidest things you've ever posted.

Which in itself is an achievement.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Whilst people may disagree with BGs view which is clearly "out of date" and wrong (in our opinion), its a generation thing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's grandad would agree with him. (dont even mention "gays" or "pakis"). He's entitled to his opinion. Every culture and generation has different ones. No big deal here

Allowing his age, and the nonsensical excuse of 'it's a generational thing' to justify his appalling attitudes towards women does women, people of his age - and possibly your good self - a complete disservice.

As has now been proved, it's clearly not a generational thing. It's a bigoted thing. Respectfully suggest not conflating the two.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Put him on ignore and stop getting outraged by a post on a message board......life’s too short !

I'm hardly outraged, just calling him out for crossing a line.

BG's musings are more often than not quite amusing (I still cannot work out if he is real or not and rarely agree with him) but actually think this last week in football has taught us not to just ignore bigoted views.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Looking like the AI behind the BensGrandad bot has got some flaws in its programming. Time to pop it offline while we get the source code patched up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Looking like the AI behind the BensGrandad bot has got some flaws in its programming. Time to pop it offline while we get the source code patched up.

It's ok though BG's allowed to pollute this board on any and every subject, with immunity.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Old fashioned? I left school in 1964 Hove County Grammar School for Girls. We were taught cricket there and one of my classmates became Sussex Ladies wicketkeeper.

You're not old fashioned, you're bigoted.

Also, women's football is not a new concept - I seem to recall reading it was very popular in the early twentieth century.

I do however believe (or even perhaps more truthfully, hope) that BG is an (unfunny) parody account.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Also, women's football is not a new concept - I seem to recall reading it was very popular in the early twentieth century.

I do however believe (or even perhaps more truthfully, hope) that BG is an (unfunny) parody account.

He's a wind up merchant who enjoys stirring things up.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I hope there is a 2nd stadium and not a "womens" one. Thats kinda backwards. Perhaps we should have a "womens" carriage on the train to get there
Not at all-have any women posted on this item yet ?
why would ladies get offended at having their own stadium ?--- I would also like to bet a lot of women have thought they should have their own railway carriage. !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here