Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Bathroom plumbing advice

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Whoops looks like you have snapped it off !
Doesn't the whole head just leaver off?

I prefer the normal bar mixers with just a hose, head and riser rail, if the shower goes wrong I can buy the bar mixer on it’s own from Screwfix for £40.
I’m not a fan of these showers with a fixed head and a hose/head.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
In the main picture, is that not a grub screw on top of the mixing valve?

Do you mean the tiny little hole thing? Maybe, I don't know, but it is extremely tiny, and shaped like a smooth, inverted cone, so I don't see how any tool would actually fit into it and cause anything to turn.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In the main picture, is that not a grub screw on top of the mixing valve?

Do you mean the tiny little hole thing? Maybe, I don't know, but it is extremely tiny, and shaped like a smooth, inverted cone, so I don't see how any tool would actually fit into it and cause anything to turn.

I think it’s just a marker to line up the temperature number with, not really useful when using a shower and the bathroom is full of steam and you have shampoo in your eyes. :)

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Yeah I think you are right.
Difficult to see in the picture.
Pretty sure I remember levering those heads off with a flat head screwdriver.
45 years of carrying out plumbing and it doesn't get any easier :ohmy:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
you've got proper professionals on the case :thumbsup:

Ask if they want some tea and biscuits, it'll help when the bill comes in, trust me :wink:

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Please post a couple of photos.
1- The lever you have removed ( the end that was inside )
2- The rest of the shower with your wife in it. ( giving head in photo )

D615840F-85DF-4571-AE83-EE5E06B7D188.jpeg

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Yeah I think you are right.
Difficult to see in the picture.
Pretty sure I remember levering those heads off with a flat head screwdriver.
45 years of carrying out plumbing and it doesn't get any easier :ohmy:

Hmm, could give that a try. Dunno. What could go wrong?! The Monkey’s working tonight, so he could return in the morning to a nice surprise (working shower) or nasty surprise (chaos). Or maybe I’ll just think about it for a bit longer.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Looks like it's a nice standard 150mm pipe centres and has been fitted using a fitting kit rather than the weird shonky offset ******* thingies that often come with as standard.
Just replace it. Could genuinely be a five minute job. (Fingers crossed as I've jinxed it now)

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Looks like it's a nice standard 150mm pipe centres and has been fitted using a fitting kit rather than the weird shonky offset ******* thingies that often come with as standard.
Just replace it. Could genuinely be a five minute job. (Fingers crossed as I've jinxed it now)

Thank you. Umm, sorry to be a thicky, I don't really understand plumberspeak, but which bit do I replace? The mixer unit, the whole shower unit?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You might need to bite the bullet and pay for someone who a) knows what they are doing, and b) has the right tools to fix it when whatever is inevitably going to go wrong does go wrong, and you have a leak that you can't turn off.

Buy a new one.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thank you. Umm, sorry to be a thicky, I don't really understand plumberspeak, but which bit do I replace? The mixer unit, the whole shower unit?

Move I think it maybe easier.

The mixer unit should be easy to change

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

You will need a two outlet - one top one bottom - google Victorian Plumbing bar mixers. Just to give you an idea - not recommending them.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here