Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Loony labour vote to abolish private education

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Would that be for everybody else but not apply to Labour MPs. Mind a safe suggestion as Corbyn will never be PM as if they managed to win a GE they would get rid of him.

It never fails to astound me that both Labour and Conservative manage to implode at the most important times.
The Tories are there for the taking but Labour are in fighting in Brighton and have a very Marmite leader.
A central, working together Labour party with a leader like Starmer would walk into No 10.
The Tories down the years have also ripped themselves apart with awful timing with the expenses scandal and in fighting.
Blithering idiots that they are because they are both leaving the door right open for chaos.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The biggest iniquity of the Public school taxation break, is that as ‘charities ‘ they pay only 20% business rates.State schools, but not free schools or academies, pay100% of business rates. Most state schools are ‘ in debt ‘ some to the tune of half a million quid. Eton meanwhile, has an annual income in the region of £60 million pounds from fees and donations, £12.5 million investment income, and £437 million funds carried over, and yet, they are still a charity, and as such, get tax breaks.
They do provide free education for 83 pupils though.
As a lefty myself, I would tax public schools the full amount by removing their charitable status, and I would remove the VAT exempt status from school fees. Don’t ban them, just level the playing field.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Although I understand and agree with all the comments about the impracticalities of the policy, I totally agree with this...... as does the political economist (and master of Hertford College, Oxford, Will Hutton.

Would that state education was so good that people did not need to think about Private Education.

YES David, I at last agree with you. Although some may think they would not like their children mixing with some of the chavs of scrote irresponsible parents I would guess. After all the disobedience in most state schools is off the scale. Horrible influence. I shudder!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I'll put my hand up - I am very much in favour of huge inheritance tax introductions and it is for that exact reason. I am aware it is very much the politics of envy but I don't think that makes it void. I am a public sector worker who earns a nice salary but nothing exciting. My wife's parents own a house worth about £150k up north and she is one of 6, and my parents do not own property. We are lucky enough to have saved up enough deposit buy a small house, however it is very small and we'll never be able to upgrade, as the mortgage is a stretch as it is for us - salaries are unlikely to increase (apart from with inflation if we're lucky) and to be honest interest rates will probably rise substantially at some point between now and the mortage being paid off (when we are 65). However the majority of people I work with live in bigger houses, in nicer areas, and are paying way less on their mortgage each month - purely because their parents have helped them out.

I get the arguments for inheritance - i.e. the prospect of handing down property is a huge motivator for people to work hard, and particularly the sentimental issue over family homes etc. But it's a strange society when people can achieve the same qualifications, do the same job to the same standard, and yet have such different standards of living to their co-workers due to the fortune of how successful and prudent their parents were.

And yes, I am a completely jealous *******.

I bought my house while serving 30 years in the RAF and thats not massive wages......concentrate on buying a house and not other luxuries ie booze and fags and expensive cars and anything is possible.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The UK is one of the most unequal societies in Europe and private education fosters this inequality. Currently 7% of school children go on to control parliament, the judiciary and the media.

The pernicious effects of this inequality impacts mental wellbeing, physical health, crime, social mobility, community and violence.

The fact that most of the political elite were privately educated holds back the improvement of state schools. If the kids of the rich had to be state educated you can bet standards would improve.

Why should we support a system that entrenches privilege and harms society?

When it comes to parliament you’re a bit off on your sweeping generalisations: 51% of the 2017 crop of MPs went to comprehensive school; 18% went to state selective and 29% were privately educated. Latest research suggests 7% of children are privately educated so the 29% of MPs still isn’t representative but the figure is on a downward trend.

Interestingly in 1979 over 73% of Tory mps were privately educated. In 2017 it was 44%.

However, on the judiciary, you’re spot on, 76% of top judges and QCs we’re privately educated.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don’t know why people are getting aggy over this, all the time there’s a hole in my arse and that little rat is IC of the Labour Party all their doing is driving further away from Downing Street

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The biggest iniquity of the Public school taxation break, is that as ‘charities ‘ they pay only 20% business rates.State schools, but not free schools or academies, pay100% of business rates. Most state schools are ‘ in debt ‘ some to the tune of half a million quid. Eton meanwhile, has an annual income in the region of £60 million pounds from fees and donations, £12.5 million investment income, and £437 million funds carried over, and yet, they are still a charity, and as such, get tax breaks.
As a lefty myself, I would tax public schools the full amount by removing their charitable status, and I would remove the VAT exempt status from school fees. Don’t ban them, just level the playing field.

Seems ridiculous that local authority maintained schools should be paying business rates to their ..... local authority. Wooden dollars.

Why not remove the requirement to pay business rates from maintained schools.

Using ‘level playing field’ to end your sentence when thinking about schools and the loss playing fields is sadly ironic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

your view is much more reasonable, if we want to tax education apply VAT to all tuition. though the better way to address state school business rate liability is to exempt them, its quite daft for the state to tax itself. we also shouldnt base policy on one or two outliers, just because a few institutions have accumulated a pot of cash (because they are charities and cant distribute funds).

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Seems ridiculous that local authority maintained schools should be paying business rates to their ..... local authority. Wooden dollars.

Why not remove the requirement to pay business rates from maintained schools.

Using ‘level playing field’ to end your sentence when thinking about schools and the loss playing fields is sadly ironic.

You would think I almost intended it.???

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
When it comes to parliament you’re a bit off on your sweeping generalisations: 51% of the 2017 crop of MPs went to comprehensive school; 18% went to state selective and 29% were privately educated. Latest research suggests 7% of children are privately educated so the 29% of MPs still isn’t representative but the figure is on a downward trend.

Interestingly in 1979 over 73% of Tory mps were privately educated. In 2017 it was 44%.

However, on the judiciary, you’re spot on, 76% of top judges and QCs we’re privately educated.

Two thirds of Boris's first cabinet were privately educated.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Two thirds of Boris's first cabinet were privately educated.

you havent said why the policy would benefit the country. this seems to be suggesting its simply a political attack on the other side.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
It is a Conference resolution NOT “from Corbyn”...

However, the abolition of private schools - and the wider reduction in passing of privilege down through families (e.g. 100% inheritance tax over £50,000) - WILL be a very good thing when the country comes to its senses at some point. May well not be in our lifetime but I hope it will be some time...
I’d like to believe that, but can you explain why?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The biggest 'Sell off' was by Gordon 'Goldfinger' Brown and the backdoor Lisbon Treaty.

You missed Thatchers fire sale of publicly owned utilities during the 80s then?
The customers, (the ex owners) are still paying the price for this theft, 30 plus years later.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The cost for schools in the public sector would go through the roof at the moment the people who send children to private school pay taxes which pay towards these schools and fees for private schools so they are paying twice.
However the private school should do more bursary for children who can’t afford it and work with schools in the public sector.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here