Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So who's in charge of recruitment in reality?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So who's in charge of recruitment in reality?

Not Phil Chapple

[tweet]1174685168889716738[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

This is an ÖFK interview with Kyle Macauley from 2013, obviously he probably got some different work tasks now but I think its obvious his main skills are in analysing data and scouting, probably not doing negotiations or that kind of bureacracy stuff.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Not Phil Chapple

From working for Potter, to working for the Potters :moo:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd imagine Ashworth has the casting vote but it'll be a star chamber including Potter who will probably have a veto. The whole point of having a DOF is to avoid a manager getting his own guys in then a manager with a different style coming in and changing everything.

I think the recruitment has been pretty good given the constraints but the hardest part to do on a budget will always be the forwards. Goals cost money always have, always will...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Not Phil Chapple

He was our European Scout.

So the burning pitchfork mob should be celebrating.

Perhaps this finishes our fondness of the dutch league ? ???

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
he was our european scout.

So the burning pitchfork mob should be celebrating.

yeeehaaahhh!!

th[3].jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This is an ÖFK interview with Kyle Macauley from 2013, obviously he probably got some different work tasks now but I think its obvious his main skills are in analysing data and scouting, probably not doing negotiations or that kind of bureacracy stuff.

Top man. Keep it all coming.
I can see how they made it in Scandinavia. They have strong values, and value education and have a dogged determination to work things out, so they know more about, and are better prepared than, the opposition.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Data analysis is a huge factor and we have a large team of scouts gathering information and feeding it into Paul Winstanley. Another factor is not only the value of the player but any potential resale value, so considering the stage of career is vital to any deal. It's been a while since we signed anyone over 30 and I think it could be a long time until we do so again.

Once a player is identified and approved by Winstanley, Potter, Ashworth there then has to be an approval by those who hold the purse strings. I'd imagine there are several discussions where 1 of these key individuals believe they have identified a great signing yet the others have dismissed them for 1 of a long list of factors.

No doubt there will be some gems as well as some complete duds, and I'm certain there will be superstars that we turned down for a particular reason be have gone on to somewhere else and looked superb. But something so vitally important to the future of our club cannot be left to just 1 person

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Data analysis is a huge factor and we have a large team of scouts gathering information and feeding it into Paul Winstanley. Another factor is not only the value of the player but any potential resale value, so considering the stage of career is vital to any deal. It's been a while since we signed anyone over 30 and I think it could be a long time until we do so again.

Once a player is identified and approved by Winstanley, Potter, Ashworth there then has to be an approval by those who hold the purse strings. I'd imagine there are several discussions where 1 of these key individuals believe they have identified a great signing yet the others have dismissed them for 1 of a long list of factors.

No doubt there will be some gems as well as some complete duds, and I'm certain there will be superstars that we turned down for a particular reason be have gone on to somewhere else and looked superb. But something so vitally important to the future of our club cannot be left to just 1 person

This is the bit I am curious about in your theory

What if someone at that stage says ''Hmmmmm - Not really sure about that one. Have you got any better options for me for at Left Back than that'' Is it then a case of - ''No that's it I am afraid, its either him or the other one I showed you the other day or no one'' Is it then a take it or leave it scenario to stick with what you have already or take what's on offer?

OR

Do they open up the debate and bring [MENTION=3975]ben[/MENTION]sGandad for the final ''Ruling'' on the matter ?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
This is the bit I am curious about in your theory

What if someone at that stage says ''Hmmmmm - Not really sure about that one. Have you got any better options for me for at Left Back than that'' Is it then a case of - ''No that's it I am afraid, its either him or the other one I showed you the other day or no one'' Is it then a take it or leave it scenario to stick with what you have already or take what's on offer?
This is the time when the manager carries the can, he picks either sh*t or sh*ttier and the recruitment/management team sit back and says "no player is brought in without the manager having the final say". I am sure this happened a lot under CH hence his reluctance to play some new signings

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is the time when the manager carries the can, he picks either sh*t or sh*ttier and the recruitment/management team sit back and says "no player is brought in without the manager having the final say". I am sure this happened a lot under CH hence his reluctance to play some new signings

So [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] definitely doesn't have the ''Casting Vote'' ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Very likely - especially as Potter immediately binned off two out of three of the big signings and hasn't given much game time to the third.

Now that Potter has brought in his own addition to the recruitment team, it would seem to be a bit top heavy now and my guess is that someone will be gone by Christmas, paying the price for pi$$ing £40M up the wall for Locadia, Andone and the Iranian Messi. And it won't be Ashworth.....................

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Very likely - especially as Potter immediately binned off two out of three of the big signings and hasn't given much game time to the third.

Now that Potter has brought in his own addition to the recruitment team, it would seem to be a bit top heavy now and my guess is that someone will be gone by Christmas, paying the price for pi$$ing £40M up the wall for Locadia, Andone and the Iranian Messi. And it won't be Ashworth.....................

Obviously not, he was brought in to keep CH, sorry I meant Potter in his job

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Aint that the truth

The only way such positions have ''longevity'' is to go in and continually sack Managers.

That's because they have '' the ear '' of the owners and they know that each time a Manager goes then their position is secure for another year or two because someone else carries the can for them.

Damien Comoli made an ''Art of it '' at Arsenal, Spurs, St Etienne, Liverpool and now Fenerbache

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here