Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Important for men aged 45 - 80 : Might save your life

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thanks. I'm wondering whether it's better to get this blood test, or just go to your doctor for a digital examination.

Why not have the blood test and then if it comes back that you're at risk go for the digital examination ?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
PSA may be unreliable but mine was raised. It was checked quarterly and rising rapidly.
Had IMRT rads, now all clear, twelve years out.
Still have half yearly checks as treatment was very new and experimental.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
As others have said, the PSA test isn't a reliable indicator. Get a rectal examination too. It's not necessarily pleasant, but it lasts less than a minute and it could save your life.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Why not have the blood test and then if it comes back that you're at risk go for the digital examination ?

digital examination is inconclusive ,......i had no symptoms whatsoever , dr gave me a right royal digitalisation .....sent me off for mri as a precaution.......it's an increasingly common ailment but one which is curable if got early.....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know which is best, because I don't know enough about it. Is it a case that a low PSA would mean you just don't need to bother with a digital exam, because a low PSA would mean you don't need to worry?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I don't know which is best, because I don't know enough about it. Is it a case that a low PSA would mean you just don't need to bother with a digital exam, because a low PSA would mean you don't need to worry?

Like I said digital exam couldn't find mine and my psa was only just enough to get me a mri and biopsy where it was diagnosed.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

2.8 is low , i got sent off for precautionary tests , as it turned out if i'd left it till now i may well be ****ed.....your psa should be zero or pretty close to it.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
An excellent post & I hope all take notice.

We are lucky in Spain, if over 65 all males have a blood/urine test each year and this is automatic. You receive a full print out of the results, 3 pages of them!

Also may I express my deepest sympathy for Lisa and her family. My daughter who lives in Suffolk is also 46 y.o. Her ageing parents (BS & Mrs BS) responded to the government advertising campaign run early this year and badgered her asking if she had been tested recently? Eventually she relented under pressure, went for a smear test and to cut a long story short endured a full hysterectomy within 6 weeks. A tumour of 20mm was discovered on her cervix, fortunately a resulting MRI scan shows the rest of her body clear.

I dread to think what may of happened if we hadn't kept on at her, because as she admitted, it's something that happens to everyone else - so please, a heart felt whether you are male or female if testing is available - do it!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for this. Don't the NHS offer the same? You get health checks when you reach 40, and they'll give you a reach around to check your prostate. I didn't realise they won't do a blood test.

You can get all sorts checked, but you may have to initiate. I get various things checked due to family history, but I have had arguments with GPs about this. Locums in particular can be utter pricks (snooty, asking me why I think I need x or y, quoting NICE guidelines at me, sometimes wrongly, and generally making me feel like I'm on the ear 'ole for something). And I have to initiate retests because the surgery never calls me in. And they screw up; I though there were checking my blood sugar (I was having 12 hour fasts) but found out last year they hadn't checked my blood sugar since 2003, despite taking blood samples (and testing for lipids only). I go to a big GP clinic (there are two in town and no standalone GPs) and you never see the same person twice. Often it's a nurse practitioner. It is pretty scandalous, actually. Preventive medicine is supposed to be the best sort of medicine, but saving money seems to be the order of the day.

Good thread, [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Thanks for this. Don't the NHS offer the same? You get health checks when you reach 40, and they'll give you a reach around to check your prostate. I didn't realise they won't do a blood test.

It's not exactly a reach around. I'd call it a poke in.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
digital examination is inconclusive ,......i had no symptoms whatsoever , dr gave me a right royal digitalisation .....sent me off for mri as a precaution.......it's an increasingly common ailment but one which is curable if got early.....

Think about this. How do you truly know he only used his digit. You were always looking the other way, correct?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had a prostrate check last autumn, as I had been concerned at weeing so much. Thankfully I got the all clear, but my doctor detected a possible issue in my lower bowel. After scans and endoscopies, it turns out that I had a huge tumour in the lower bowel. I had an 11 hour operation in London in February, imho life saving or least preserving my quality of life.

All thanks to that initial prostrate check.

Thank you NHS.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Why 45+, out of interest? I'm between 30 and 40, can I book a slot or is it better to wait till I'm older?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why 45+, out of interest? I'm between 30 and 40, can I book a slot or is it better to wait till I'm older?

I'm only guessing here - I'm not a medic - but I assume 45+ is the 'sweet spot' ( can't think of a better term ! ) for prostate cancer. There's nothing stopping you booking a slot though - they don't enforce an age limit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here