Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1167516121018318849[/tweet]

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Blimey 10, I'm glad Butts Brow is safely off my manor. I compared it to a local 'handful' and it smoked it. What's the approach like? I got revenge on a hill today after pacing myself better.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey 10, I'm glad Butts Brow is safely off my manor. I compared it to a local 'handful' and it smoked it. What's the approach like? I got revenge on a hill today after pacing myself better.

The approach? What approach!? :lol:

You turn onto it and within a matter of yards it's about 10% and it only ever gets steeper from there.

There's an organised hill climb on it in October. You should come down. If you're feeling really adventurous, double it up with the other event on Firle Beacon in the same day.

What hill did you get revenge on today? I get up your way sometimes and would like to seek out some nice hills up there.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
There's an organised hill climb on it in October. You should come down. If you're feeling really adventurous, double it up with the other event on Firle Beacon in the same day.

Nah, you're alright.

What hill did you get revenge on today? I get up your way sometimes and would like to seek out some nice hills up there.

Boxley.

I'm 'lucky' really. There are a couple of ridges to the North and South of me. Both run a few miles with some fun on both southern sides. I thought I was revenging another (the last on my hit list) this morning but yet again not the one. I'm doing new ones looking for it but they are not so tough.

Let me know if you want anything to aim at.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What a stage at La Vuelta today!

Had it all! :clap:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nah, you're alright.

Boxley.

I'm 'lucky' really. There are a couple of ridges to the North and South of me. Both run a few miles with some fun on both southern sides. I thought I was revenging another (the last on my hit list) this morning but yet again not the one. I'm doing new ones looking for it but they are not so tough.

Let me know if you want anything to aim at.

Nice looking hill that. Will try to seek it out sometime.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Jeeeez that's a poohload of pointing off into the middle distance.

GCN Tech converted a 30 year old mountain bike frame into a gravel/adventure bike.
I had a little chin scratch and thought 'yeah ok, that's interesting'.
I could certainly do with a project.

I watched the 2 introductions and thought 'ok come on then bring it on'.

10 minutes into the main build = f**k off. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

GCN Tech converted a 30 year old mountain bike frame into a gravel/adventure bike.

They already have the North Coast 500 route up there ( which is on my bucket list to ride).

What do they need to add a 2nd class route for 2nd class bikes I wonder.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I got my final revenge this morning. Properly in the middle of nowhere which is why it took me a while to find it again. (I'm not counting Yorks as that's not really a road.)

If you ever do Boxley 10 make sure your brakes are okay coming back down. The steep bit starts on a near hairpin. It puts the willies right up me.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

48613A75-D903-414C-BE0D-9C4C7096F231.jpeg

Do it. It’s not a MTB frame. Bloody good fun though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I got my final revenge this morning. Properly in the middle of nowhere which is why it took me a while to find it again. (I'm not counting Yorks as that's not really a road.)

If you ever do Boxley 10 make sure your brakes are okay coming back down. The steep bit starts on a near hairpin. It puts the willies right up me.

What climb did you do today? We found one in the middle of nowhere on an Audax over Sevenoaks way I think it was, but I don't know the name of it and I didn't record the ride. It was nasty steep on a tarmac that went to concrete in places. I ended up zig zagging up it!

The descent of Butts Brow puts the willies up me!, so I'll bare your heads up in mind if I ever ride Boxley.

Agree with you about York's :lol: It was dry and not too damp under the tree cover when we rode up it, and yet still there was some wheel slipping out of the saddle. I think I'd just flat out refuse to descend it as it would seem like a death wish!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do it. It’s not a MTB frame. Bloody good fun though.
Although I don't think there was much in it that would help, last year I cleared out my bike shed donating loads of stuff to a cycling cooperative.

Chances are someone, if they had a set of wheels, has built themselves a cheap gravel bike. :lol: :facepalm:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
What climb did you do today?

East Hall Hill.

We found one in the middle of nowhere on an Audax over Sevenoaks way I think it was, but I don't know the name of it and I didn't record the ride. It was nasty steep on a tarmac that went to concrete in places. I ended up zig zagging up it!

That rings no bells. Next time you are up Sevenoaks way I recommend Carters (SE) Hubbards (W) Star (NW) and Rowdow Lane (NE).

If you are doing Boxley, do Hollingbourne as well. Both from the bottom, i.e. not from Pilgrims Way.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi guys, possibly a daft question but how the frig do I get my average speed up. I've hit it harder than I've ever managed before and I've been commuting reasonably frequently too. I must be fitter than I've ce ever been but only really managing 24km/hr. Now undoubtedly the hills round here account for some of it as it's hard to do less than 200m accent per 10km round here. Can't wait to see how quick I am back in Sussex, but how can I get my average up?

Not pooing my pants when I descend the Chevin night help admittedly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi guys, possibly a daft question but how the frig do I get my average speed up. I've hit it harder than I've ever managed before and I've been commuting reasonably frequently too. I must be fitter than I've ce ever been but only really managing 24km/hr. Now undoubtedly the hills round here account for some of it as it's hard to do less than 200m accent per 10km round here. Can't wait to see how quick I am back in Sussex, but how can I get my average up?

Not pooing my pants when I descend the Chevin night help admittedly.
One word:-

Cadence...

...& weight lose.

Right I'm back in the room!!

Work out your average cadence, they'll be a guide on line.

I guarantee you don't even ride to your potential average, let alone improve on it.
If you ain't pedaling you ain't getting faster.

Lose about 5 or 6 st and you'll semi professional!!

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
One word:-

Cadence...

...& weight lose.

Right I'm back in the room!!

Work out your average cadence, they'll be a guide on line.

I guarantee you don't even ride to your potential average, let alone improve on it.
If you ain't pedaling you ain't getting faster.

Lose about 5 or 6 st and you'll semi professional!!

Are you basically saying no pain no gain?! :)

I'm only 12 Stone 6, so I think 6 stone might be pushing it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you basically saying no pain no gain?! :)

I'm only 12 Stone 6, so I think 6 stone might be pushing it!

7 then lard arse. :lol: :kiss:

Yeah pretty much.

I think you're going to need to introduce a form of regime to your riding, that's what worked for me.

Have a non-commuting set distance.
Ride it at least once a week.
Ride it either too your max, or at/above whatever your average cadence is.

Over a period of time I think that will help become nearer to your new 'normal', just putting the comfortable miles in really isn't going to move the dial.

Either that or train to a big event that's outside your comfort zone.

Signing up for next years 'Sportive over the World Championship course', ought to focus your mind which in turn will make an average ride now seem easy and worth attacking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here