Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Electric cars

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
what infrastructure is this though? its not just power points needed but power too, sufficent uprating of domestic supply to support fast charging. its not really feasible and doesnt solve these core problems, which hybrids do.

Definitely worth bearing in mind - Our house, being very remote, has an individual electric supply, TBH I'm not ensure if that's the best way to describe it but in short it means we have x amount of supply available to us, the power will dip when the oven and washing machine are on, for instance. In a town, where I believe the supply is shared, there isn't a problem with the current low number of ownership but as more and more come online, and given they can take hours to charge, that's going to be a problem right?

Edit - I love the answer from EON to this question, right ho!! "When everyone has an electric car, where will all that electricity come from?
It will come from you. People are already moving away from the grid and generating their own energy in their homes and businesses. From solar to wind energy, self-generation systems will put the power in your hands. You can use it to heat your home and hot water, and of course, to charge your electric car"

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I hope that was a joke, you'll miss the pop pop pop, sacrilege! ps how many do you have?

Not a joke, And I won't miss the pop pop, or ring ding (depending on tune) Current fleet is 5, and a half!

Went to Wales last weekend, which was nearly 600 miles. Definitely a tuned engine journey, but popping to Brighton, out on errands or to the supermarket etc is rarely more than a 10-15 mile journey. A 10kW motor would be similar performance to the average scooter, if not better, and sufficient battery could easily be stored within the standard panel work for a range of up to 100 miles. It's only an idea and a few sketches, but the plan would be a bolt in job so as not to ruin a classic

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
we have a Mercedes 330e hybrid gets about 12miles on full electric but on long journey to Scotland may get 60 miles electric. What I love about it is that instance power you get when pulling away. Did contemplate getting I-pace this year but was advised by jaguar salesman to wait for next version as battery technology was going to make a step change next year. At a bbq a couple of months ago I got chatting on electric cars and what was interesting is that 4-5+yr old Teslas - the biggest buyer of them is webuyanycar.com as dealers don’t want them as battery life is questionable. This ties into the lease rather than purchase model for electric cars

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Will be buying a new car in the next year but will stick with Petrol this time.

The next one I buy in 9 or 10 years will probably be electric if they sort out the main issues of :

- Not enough fast charging points
- Initial cost of the car (often more expensive than a petrol version)
- Breakdown/recycle cost of an electric car is far more expensive than petrol cars
- Improvement in distance being able to be travelled

I do llike the idea but just at this formulative stage I just don't think it's a viable option especially if you travel fairly large distances regularly. A guy in Shoreham I know does have one and a charging point outside his home, but on 7 occasions this year local kids have cut his cable during the night meaning no battery power in the morning and the expense of replacing his charging cable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Definitely worth bearing in mind - Our house, being very remote, has an individual electric supply, TBH I'm not ensure if that's the best way to describe it but in short it means we have x amount of supply available to us, the power will dip when the oven and washing machine are on, for instance. In a town, where I believe the supply is shared, there isn't a problem with the current low number of ownership but as more and more come online, and given they can take hours to charge, that's going to be a problem right?

Edit - I love the answer from EON to this question, right ho!! "When everyone has an electric car, where will all that electricity come from?
It will come from you. People are already moving away from the grid and generating their own energy in their homes and businesses. From solar to wind energy, self-generation systems will put the power in your hands. You can use it to heat your home and hot water, and of course, to charge your electric car"

yes, this is the problem. we use more energy in transport than we do electricity, so we have to generate an awful lot more electric (and to replace gas remember). fast charging makes adds complications as more current is needed, so you cant just plug into the normal mains.
Eons response is from the marketing department writen by BA graduates, engineers will know that we dont (cant) produce enough energy domestically. people will say you can do with solar and battery systems, but it doesnt scale out to the whole population. home generation could be a thing if we went down the hydrogen fuel cell route, but no interest seems to be shown in that.

D

Deleted member 2719

Followed a guy on an electric skateboard doing 20mph the other day on the road in Pompey, would he move over.................he was bang in the middle of the road without a care, these #twats could take over from the cycling idiots, at least they are legal.

A question to old bill on here can we do a citizen arrest on this fools???

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't the ranges are going to improve massively in the near- or mid-term. For that to happen you'd need a load more batteries onboard, which leads to packaging issues, or huge advances in battery technology or different composites or materials used. Both of these measures will be costly and those costs will likely be passed onto the consumer.

What I think is more likely is more charging stations (part of the infrastructure is there with fuel stations), mobile charging units (where people come along and charge (and, in some cases, clean) your car (or swap the battery over), in-road charging and more fast chargers. Although some people will still want 500+ miles from a battery, the vast majority of people don't do over 100 miles in a day, so with these measures in place, range becomes less of an issue.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
How did you manage the Warrington trip? What's the range of the car you took, and is it a Tesla with the fast charging battery?

It was a new type Nissan Leaf which has a real range of up to 150 miles, the top of the range current Nissan Leaf (e+) is 226 miles. Pretty much every service station in the UK has generic rapid chargers so if you don't mind stopping for a coffee on route then its fine. We also booked a hotel that had a charge point and charged over night before travelling home.

There are hotels with charging facilities in a lot of towns and most of them are free.

D

Deleted member 2719

Has anyone got any experience on the depreciation on electric cars???

Surely it would be more high risk buying a secondhand car of say 5-7 years in case the batteries packed up.
With battery technology moving so quick how many will dealers stock if, at all, costs of these fast-changing batteries will surely rocket.
Is anyone giving a 10-year warranty In battery life?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't the ranges are going to improve massively in the near- or mid-term. For that to happen you'd need a load more batteries onboard, which leads to packaging issues, or huge advances in battery technology or different composites or materials used. Both of these measures will be costly and those costs will likely be passed onto the consumer.

What I think is more likely is more charging stations (part of the infrastructure is there with fuel stations), mobile charging units (where people come along and charge (and, in some cases, clean) your car (or swap the battery over), in-road charging and more fast chargers. Although some people will still want 500+ miles from a battery, the vast majority of people don't do over 100 miles in a day, so with these measures in place, range becomes less of an issue.

Ranges are improving all the time and costs are coming down. A couple of years ago 200-300 range vehicles would cost in excess of £70,000, now you can pick one up for around £35,000.

The first Nissan leaf I had did 100 miles, my latest model 150 miles and the newest one 226 miles and this is in the space of 3 years.

The new Tesla roadster although extremely expensive is rumoured to have a range of 620 miles! So range isn't the issue we just need to wait until the cars are at a similar price point to similar petrol cars before mass uptake which will judging by the rates that they are currently falling and the vehicles currently in development like the Volkswagen ID range this could happen within the next 5 years!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Has anyone got any experience on the depreciation on electric cars???

Surely it would be more high risk buying a secondhand car of say 5-7 years in case the batteries packed up.
With battery technology moving so quick how many will dealers stock if, at all, costs of these fast-changing batteries will surely rocket.
Is anyone giving a 10-year warranty In battery life?

This was in post #18

Not sure about other makes but every Toyota Hybrid vehicle comes with a 5-year 100,000 mile Toyota warranty, which – with an annual hybrid service extends the cover on your battery for up to 15 years.

The cost of replacing the battery pack costs between £1000 and £1200 depending on model (apart from the Prius plug in which is over £6000 !)

Have since discovered that Toyota and Nissan are now finding that batteries are lasting well over 10 years and replacing battery packs is unusual even for the earliest of Prius in this country

Last edited:

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
we have a Mercedes 330e hybrid gets about 12miles on full electric but on long journey to Scotland may get 60 miles electric. What I love about it is that instance power you get when pulling away. Did contemplate getting I-pace this year but was advised by jaguar salesman to wait for next version as battery technology was going to make a step change next year. At a bbq a couple of months ago I got chatting on electric cars and what was interesting is that 4-5+yr old Teslas - the biggest buyer of them is webuyanycar.com as dealers don’t want them as battery life is questionable. This ties into the lease rather than purchase model for electric cars

What was the battery change next year on I pace?
Was looking recently.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
9 months into my Tesla Model 3 MR. 265 miles on full charge. No range anxiety as superchargers everywhere and 450 mph charge rate. Can't say enough about all of the technology/safety features and the bangingest stereo I have ever experienced. Used to drive the X5 when we had lots of stuff to be moved but find that M3 has a ton of space upfront and in the back. $7,500 government tax rebate softened the cost for me and avoided filling up for 12,500 miles now - saving around 1,200 quid in fuel. No oil changes, no maintenance of any kind for another 3 years. Never going back to ICE.

You'd better keep your head down for a few weeks, if anyone in the Trump administration reads that (or indeed can read) you'll get deported!

D

Deleted member 2719

This was in post #18

Not sure about other makes but every Toyota Hybrid vehicle comes with a 5-year 100,000 mile Toyota warranty, which – with an annual hybrid service extends the cover on your battery for up to 15 years.

The cost of replacing the battery pack costs between £1000 and £1200 depending on model (apart from the Prius plug in which is over £6000 !)

Have since discovered that Toyota and Nissan are now finding that batteries are lasting well over 10 years and replacing battery packs is unusual even for the earliest of Prius in this country

Okay sorry I was distracted by the twin webber Ford above!!

I hear an incredible 96% of cars are now purchased on a contract and as many as 60% are bought second hand on contract.

I am the buying type that likes to own rather than rent things, I worry this will get even worse with the electric car to get sales in and for people to prove their one upmanship.

Do any accountants out there see it a sensible way to run their personal finances?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Not a joke, And I won't miss the pop pop, or ring ding (depending on tune) Current fleet is 5, and a half!

Went to Wales last weekend, which was nearly 600 miles. Definitely a tuned engine journey, but popping to Brighton, out on errands or to the supermarket etc is rarely more than a 10-15 mile journey. A 10kW motor would be similar performance to the average scooter, if not better, and sufficient battery could easily be stored within the standard panel work for a range of up to 100 miles. It's only an idea and a few sketches, but the plan would be a bolt in job so as not to ruin a classic

I had an SX 150 many years ago but only for two years till I was knocked off and it was written off, fortunately I wasn't. Old beetle from then on......Wales trip was a good way, slightly jealous :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I had an SX 150 many years ago but only for two years till I was knocked off and it was written off, fortunately I wasn't. Old beetle from then on......Wales trip was a good way, slightly jealous :)

I nearly bought a beetles as my first car. . . Didn't like it, got a mk1 Cortina instead!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here