Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
My business is all but dead at the moment . . . U.K. Customers have gone, EU customers remain . . . . But their prices haven't gone down . . . Virtually everything I use is imported. This country has very little manufacturing left, and if it does, we don't make the ,aterials to manufacture with. So in real terms the prices for EU customers are about the same, for U.K. Customers, they've gone up. Many of my suppliers have put their prices up around 20% in the last year or two.

Most of our food and drink and fuel is imported . . . . Christmas my arse you Tory twunt.
"Project fear, project fear!" They'll cry.

Manufacturing will be dead, so much for restoring sovereignty. A refusal to accept parliamentary democracy/sovereignty, a decimation of industry to ensure we rely on foreign manufacturing, which will erode our independence and procurement will very much be seller-dictated and moving from a seat at the table to hoping to get a high five as the footballers walk down the tunnel to the changing room.

We're an embarrassment. But all of this is 'project fear', we just need to have faith in Britain...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Make sure you check those Brexit t&cs when booking a holiday

10.9. Brexit Implications: Certain Travel Arrangements may be affected as a result of the United Kingdom’s decision to leave the European Union, the implications of which are unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances that are entirely beyond our control. We will continue to monitor the situation and will advise our customers as soon as possible if we become aware of any confirmed bookings that will be affected. Please note that we will not be liable to pay you any compensation.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This Brexiter sums it well ( click for entire multi-tweet thread ).

https://twitter.com/AdrianYalland/status/1156054401032871936?s=19

I voted remain, but would now vote leave if we got a deal - preferably EEA. As a minimum EFTA membership.

*No deal* will ruin us. Sadly maybe we have to experience it before some dunderheads realise.

JCFG will lynch him, that traitor is suggesting membership of EEA was a thing he as a leaver hoped for, that is not REAL Brexit.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Falling pound = rising Stock Market so I guess there is a silver lining for some

For those with overseas assets, rich people like Jacob Rees-Mogg that moved his assets to Ireland its good times. For most people its a further reduction in purchasing power.

Five years ago USD/GBP = 1.7, 30% decline. More to go if we stick with Boris and his far right crew

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Brexit: Taking back what we never lost, to lose everything we had.

Boris seems to be suggesting that he would spend heavily to avert the recession that no deal would invite (yes JCFG, a Brexit recession). I am pretty sure we just had a decade of austerity because the Tories said that spending your way out of a financial hole was crazy. Now, either those ****s lied and believe that spending on public services and infrastrucure could stimulate the economy and the austerity was just a route to smaller public service (ideological aim), or those ****s are planning to follow the crazy act of no deal exit with a financial policy that they think will make it worse.

Despite the inclusion of a couple of genuinely stupid, selfish and callous MP's, I still do not believe that there is a serious will to leave with no deal in the cabinet, I think they all reckon that if they can just make the EU believe they are serious they will get their way. If it goes right down to the last day, unless there is an extension offer on the table that we can accept, Revocation becomes a stronger possibility.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
More Brexiteer nonsense I'm afraid.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-tourism-idUKKCN1R60XN

Brexit is ****ing all of us.

Hmm, more Remain distortion of facts. The very article you link to demonstrates that after the referendum the value of the pound dropped and attracted more visitors, there was then a rally in the value of the pound and the number of visitors dropped. The brief is with the current value of the pound visitor numbers will again go up!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Travelling abroad is far too cheap anyway. Flying to the Baltic for a stag weekend for example is a ridiculous abuse of the environment. Aviation fuel needs taxing asap.

And there's a middle class conceit if ever I read one. Firstly flying isn't the only option. I travel to visit my dad in France every couple of years with the kids and we get the Ferry. Secondly, business travel isn't going to care about any sort of subsidy. Air prices go up then so does the cost of services and imports and up goes infaltion, punishing the very people you've just banned from seeing the world. Thirdly, have you had a fun bypass?

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Travelling abroad is far too cheap anyway. Flying to the Baltic for a stag weekend for example is a ridiculous abuse of the environment. Aviation fuel needs taxing asap.

So your answer is to stop poorer people flying and let more well off people continue to fly and abuse the environment?

In your world the nurse/postman/bin man is priced out of going abroad but people who contribute way less to society but earn more get to do what they want! I loathe this basis of restricting people doing things based on their income.

Have a personal co2 quota or some other idea but ffs stop using someone’s income as a way to control them!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
However if you are involved in the home based tourist trade its party time as more people from abroad will be able to afford to come here, and spend more money. Plus the fewer people holiday abroad the better for local tourism.

And if you are an exporter of goods it’s Xmas every day at the moment.

TB

Might be true for tourism, if only the worlds media had not been reporting we voted out because we don't like immigrants. Doesn't create that welcoming feeling for foreign visitors.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Rates have been declining over the last 10 years but Thomas Exchange, who I often use, are selling Euros at 1.09 and buying at 1.1344

We had our holiday in Scotland and Northumberland this year due to Brexit uncertainty, and the UK tourist industry seems to be booming, with hotels fully booked and charging what I consider to be above-average prices, and restaurants full.

We will give Europe a miss for the next couple of years and support the UK economy instead.

You make that sound like a choice.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
tosser.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmm, more Remain distortion of facts. The very article you link to demonstrates that after the referendum the value of the pound dropped and attracted more visitors, there was then a rally in the value of the pound and the number of visitors dropped. The brief is with the current value of the pound visitor numbers will again go up!

I wonder how much 'freedom of movement' is in play for this.

Nobody will be coming in if we make it difficult to arrive.

boik

So your answer is to stop poorer people flying and let more well off people continue to fly and abuse the environment?

In your world the nurse/postman/bin man is priced out of going abroad but people who contribute way less to society but earn more get to do what they want! I loathe this basis of restricting people doing things based on their income.

Have a personal co2 quota or some other idea but ffs stop using someone’s income as a way to control them!

I agree with some of what you say, but cannot understand why petrol is taxed so heavily, and yet aviation fuel is not. Not sure if there's any figures available, but I would hazard a guess that a huge proportion of flying is non-essential. Rich and poor need to be encouraged to stop flying everywhere just because it is cheap. People definitely fly more because it is so cheap. There's no getting around that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree with some of what you say, but cannot understand why petrol is taxed so heavily, and yet aviation fuel is not. Not sure if there's any figures available, but I would hazard a guess that a huge proportion of flying is non-essential. Rich and poor need to be encouraged to stop flying everywhere just because it is cheap. People definitely fly more because it is so cheap. There's no getting around that.

While the proportion of business travel to tourism is relatively low, business travel makes up the huge bulk of airline profits from passengers (https://www.investopedia.com/ask/an...ness-travelers-compared-leisure-travelers.asp). Business travel is all about getting people to face to face meetings or global offices in time and, whilst there is a trend to force staff to use lower cost airlines, in reality simple things like time zones and IT restrictions stop a large number of video conferences. Planes will still fly if there are business people and cheap goods to transport. You can't put the genie of globalisation back in the bottle. And businesses will be able to absorb andy fuel tax rise.

You're trying to blame lads having a bit of fun in Latvia or Poland for a problem caused by global capitalism that won't be going away and sneering at hard working families taking a break somewhere nice.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
For those with overseas assets, rich people like Jacob Rees-Mogg that moved his assets to Ireland its good times. For most people its a further reduction in purchasing power.

Five years ago USD/GBP = 1.7, 30% decline. More to go if we stick with Boris and his far right crew

All those Leave backers like Rees-Mogg who have shorted the pound will be loving today's figures. As usual, the rich have used the votes of the poor to increase their own wealth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here