Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joelinton to Newcastle.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The one difference is that Newcastle are DESPERATE for strikers. Until they spunked 40 mil on this unknown, they had 2 strikers on their books:

Muto: 1 goal last season
Gayle: on loan at West Brom and just doesn't seem to cut it in the PL.

No wonder they blew their beans on this kid. Clubs know how much they needed it so could demand an inflated fee.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I started it as we moan about money and Newcastle have just spent 40 million on an unproven striker ya gammon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They only splashed the Perez cash effectively spending nothing and will keep the protests on hold for a while.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
They only splashed the Perez cash effectively spending nothing and will keep the protests on hold for a while.

Still. It’s a big amount to spend on an unproven striker. If it was city. United. Arsenal. Etc. I wouldn’t bother. As it’s a club who could be fighting to stay up with us. It’s quite important information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But surely Ashley has made Newcastle into a mid table team, (not merely done the bare minimum) as evidenced by their last 2 league finishes. 10th and 13th. 44 and 45 points.

Oh yes, sorry I forgot, this was solely due to the genius of Benitez heroically managing to get a cobbled together team of journeymen into a mid table team

Incorrect.

Parish, Gold/Sullivan, Leicester’s owners, Wolves owners, all do far more than just enough to survive in the PL.

Mid-table PL football bought by paying huge wages and paying a far greater maximum transfer fee than the Albion, to achieve that.

CP have the highest, or one of the highest, wage spend to income ratios in world football. Parish has opted to take that route to acquire/borrow players to give them mid-table football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a massive gamble by Newcastle, not least because £40 mill represents such a huge portion of their overall transfer budget.

Given that Rondon and Perez have left while Almiron scored none in 10 then it is all up to Joelinton to hit the ground running and deliver. 1 in 4 in the Austrian Bundesliga followed by 1 in 4 in the German Bundesliga doesn't bode well

I don't know anything about this guy's ability, but in terms of Newcastle being in the relegation mix I'm happy they've spunked this much on this player. For an extra £5 mill West Ham seem to have got so much more with Sebastian Haller (23 goals in 58 German Bundesliga matches)..

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
£40 Million is a big gamble, but remember they did get 30 million for the very Average Perez earlier in the window. A net Spend of 10 Million doesnt seem as bad.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But surely Ashley has made Newcastle into a mid table team, (not merely done the bare minimum) as evidenced by their last 2 league finishes. 10th and 13th. 44 and 45 points.

Oh yes, sorry I forgot, this was solely due to the genius of Benitez heroically managing to get a cobbled together team of journeymen into a mid table team

Back on point, away from bizarre Rafa animosity, let’s ask the expert.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], please can I ask, from your financial analysis, is your take that Steve Parish sets out to spend just enough to keep CP in the PL, like every other owner?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], please can I ask, from your financial analysis, is your take that Steve Parish sets out to spend just enough to keep CP in the PL, like every other owner?

Clearly Palace don't spend well. They've been deep in relegation trouble for big portions of the last two seasons and have had to throw money on loan fees and incredible deals for Zaha etc to survive. The point I'm making is to distinguish teams like Leicester, Everton and maybe West Ham as team's who are buying players to do more than just survive, from virtually the whole bottom half including Newcastle, Albion and Palace who have no realistic pretentions of ever troubling the top 6 and who would love to scrape into the top half, but in reality that would be a nice bonus. Survival is all that counts

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was reading that Rafa apparently baulked at the £40m fee for this kiddy, instead wanting to spend around half that amount on keeping hold of Rondon, thus retaining more in the kitty for other signings. Rondon is 29 though and would have little resale value, so Ashley clearly preferred taking a punt on this lad in the hope he can rake in a profit some way down the line.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Palace have an interesting approach, they spend relatively high sums on player recruitment and wages, and this has achieved the aim of Premier League existence. It has resulted in losses being made, which have been covered by the new owners and some lucrative player sales

Crystal Palace Income 2011-.PNG
Crystal Palace EBIT 2011-.PNGCrystal Palace Wages & Amort Control 2011-.PNG
Crystal Palace Player Sale Profits 2011-.PNG
Crystal Palace Owner Loans 2011-.PNG
Crystal Palace Net Spend 2011-.PNGCrystal Palace Gross Squad Cost 2011-.PNG

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Absolutely. The name of the game for us customers is survival and finishing 1 place above the bottom 3. There is no ambition at the moment for anything apart from that and it applies to all the teams in the premier apart from the super rich ones who are in a different league anyway. Makes for a fascinating season...scraping out 1-0 wins and trying to draw games away from home off those in our league. I can’t wait for it all to start again.

But that isn't the name of the game, because achieving that gets you SACKED. We've said, quite clearly that achieving what you've said is unacceptable, and even with the kudos CH had in the bank, you're down the road if that's all you can achieve.

Yet everything about our recruitment backs up what you've said.

I just can't quite square transfer policy and sacking Hughton, in terms of our ambitions. There must be a striker, and midfielder and a full back on their way in, but I just can't see it.

#Confused

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Very strange they didn’t really chase Rondon who is worth 12 - 15 goals a season and they could have got him for around £16 mil. He seemed to have a very positive effect on them lest year!

Is he still available, or has someone already snapped him up?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No wonder they blew their beans on this kid. Clubs know how much they needed it so could demand an inflated fee.
I don't think it works like that. Yes Newcastle needed a striker or two, but it's not like there were only a couple in the world available. There are dozens, so any club wanting to get a decent (but fair) price for their striker would need to be realistic if they wanted to sell.

It becomes different when it's a top club looking for a world class player, as there are fewer available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here