Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jo Brand Comment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When a comedienne says something on a comedy talk show, and immediately clarifies that it is a joke then you've got to be a bit of a bell end to assume it was anything but a joke. Some of the shite Frankie Boyle says is horrendous, but at no point do most people think it's serious.

I’m glad you have clarified this, especially with Frankie Boyle, as I’ve been waiting for the past 3 years for John Terry to suffer 3rd degree burns so I can contract aids and w@nk on him.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The same politician who for years has stirred up bigotry and xenophobia and denies his "just saying what people think" twattery had anything to do with Jo Cox being murdered? Your whatabouttery is hideous.

What are you on about whatabouttery? I think everyone should be able to say anything they want to say be it Farage/Brand/Trump/Clinton I couldn't give a flying fig what people are saying but people in power do, and they pick and choose what they're upset about.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They sacked Baker as they felt he wasn't joking, or was and it was in bad taste, and they considered it racist, personally I feel there's more to his sacking than we're being told. I would argue that Brand, if she were employed, should be treated equally, the offence is different, but the severity the same, she is, afterall, talking about throwing acid at people at a time that MPs are expressing concerns about their personal safety and have significant evidence to prove that this concern is well founded.

People, in general, will react to this based on their political standpoint though rather than the offence and potential consequence.

Well, I have always quite liked Brand, and loathe Farrage and the other clowns, but I think Brand's comments are a disgrace and I hope she gets a humiliation in court as a consequence.

Edit - just read some more of the thread. Couldn't care less about Farrage's hypocrisy. If a right wing comedian joked about the best way to remove a hijab is with battery acid there would be an outcry. And rightly so. Let her sweat and grovel a bit.

It wasn't part of her act, it was a quip. Frankie Boyle is outrageous as part of his act. You won't accidentally come across Boyle being outrageous on day time radio (crosses fingers hing to not be instantly proven wrong).

Can't see why Brand should be 'sacked by the BBC' though. I wasn't aware she has a programme on the BBC. She's just a guest. Perhaps some time to reflect....I think Mr Boyle was retired from something for some such, but he has been back on the telly.

As for Danny Baker, still like him, still think he was shafted for being careless (the number of things he knows nothing about is legendary).

Anyway....it is all about opinions, isn't it.

Last edited:

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I can hardly believe the support Jo Brand has received on here. Last year in High Wycombe, where I live, a nurse sitting on a town centre bench enjoying a sunny day was sprayed with acid by an idiot on a bycycle riding to settle a score with someone else. She later died (of Sepsis directly attributable to the incident) and he got 15 years. And people like this Brand thing make jokes about this? OK, some macabre jokes can be funny, but not, surely, on a public broadcast? I believe that she was once a nurse. You really wouldn't want her looking after you, would you?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I can't stand the woman. I hope she gets sent down but it's as likely as her winning a slimmer of the year award for 2019.

Amazing amount of people on this thread alone who have made their mind up on the rights and wrongs of the situation based on the fact that they don't find her funny and she's fat. Funny old world.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
The Snowflake reaction from the Right is on par with SJW's who they love to mock, two sides of the same coin.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Amazing amount of people on this thread alone who have made their mind up on the rights and wrongs of the situation based on the fact that they don't find her funny and she's fat. Funny old world.

Oh, so I've just made up my mind about her based solely on her comments about throwing battery acid over a hard-working politician? Never mind about him being scarred for life had it been that liquid. She's always been a bitter chav who is almost inciting life-threatening injuries. Pathetic.

Do carry on at having a go at me because you know you pick on a poster that won't get involved in binfests and extremely nasty stuff.

D

Deleted member 2719

The Snowflake reaction from the Right is on par with SJW's who they love to mock, two sides of the same coin.

That's battery acid shes is talking about, what do you think the victims of acid attacks feel about her cheap shite joke.

An acid attack has to be up there with one of the most cowardly attacks on someone.

She's gone way beyond the boundary and that guy Tom Walker trying to back her suggesting the public are 'thick' he sounds just like another vicious leftie.

What has happened to all the flower waving hippies?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This country is having a proper melt down and crisis of confidence. At the same time many are preaching about tolerance, they act completely the opposite. About EVERYTHING! There's only a few of us left now, decades of continuous faux outrage has decimated the numbers of people that can judge something in context.

It's time we have a MASSIVE war, it's the only way to decide things. I propose it starts in SHEFFIELD. And I'm on Jo Brand's side, even though she is Palace.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don’t think anyone has actually condoned her remarks, have they? Certainly varying opinions on the fallout of her comments but no outright agreement with the content of what she said.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Personally I think that Brand was stupid,the comment was unfunny and could cause upset to victims of previous acid attacks, something that she should apologise for. Farage will milk this for all its worth,but, hopefully his hypocrisy will be highlighted by the attention Brands ill judged ‘joke’ has garnered. His snide comments about no shots fired over Brexit after Jo Cox murder, his best mans speech at his brothers Wedding about throwing fags in Michael Barrymore’s swimming pool, he really can’t claim the moral high ground.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Whilst I don’t condone Brand’s comments in the slightest (even though Farage is a see you next Tuesday), I don’t remember this amount of outrage when a far-right politician publicly threatened to rape a female political opponent. Two wrongs certainly don’t make a right, but the idea that there is a bias towards the left is, frankly, wrong.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Whilst I don’t condone Brand’s comments in the slightest (even though Farage is a see you next Tuesday), I don’t remember this amount of outrage when a far-right politician publicly threatened to rape a female political opponent. Two wrongs certainly don’t make a right, but the idea that there is a bias towards the left is, frankly, wrong.

Who was that?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Who was that?

You’ve proven my point exquisitely :lol:

It was UKIP’s Carl Benjamin (hardly a household name or career politician but that’s not the point) and after comments he made on twitter directed at Labour’s Jess Philips, Gerard Batten defended him and claimed it was ‘satire’.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Where have you read this ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1139255887871262725[/TWEET]

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Where have you read this ?

Again, proving my point. UKIP MEP candidate Carl Benjamin tweeted Labour’s Jess Philips saying he "wouldn't even rape" her, then posted an online video suggesting that "with enough pressure” he might “cave".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here