Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How’s your spelling?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
My handwriting suffered in the the forces, they all write in block capitals, more neater.

agree with this, had years of sending/receiving morse code signals and writing it down in block capitals was indeed much neater. all messages (99%) were written in block capitals too, to avoid any mistakes.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My spelling is OK but I seem to be part of a dying breed that tries to get it right. If I am not sure then I look it up. And I do often type phonetically and occasionally miss that I have got a word wrong. I then have to fix it. Maybe more OCD than anything.

Not sure why it would be OCD to want to get it right. If we still had an effective education system, we'd all want to get it right.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Not sure why it would be OCD to want to get it right. If we still had an effective education system, we'd all want to get it right.
I take the point to a degree but a throwaway comment on a forum shouldn't really matter. I still have to fix it though.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Your wrong

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Breach - an act of breaking or failing to observe a law, agreement, or code of conduct.

Breeches - short trousers fastened just below the knee, now chiefly worn for riding or as part of ceremonial dress.

Staff - a group of people who work for an organization

Staffs - short for Staffordshire

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
agree with this, had years of sending/receiving morse code signals and writing it down in block capitals was indeed much neater. all messages (99%) were written in block capitals too, to avoid any mistakes.

This

My dear old mum, who is 100 or 200, she says 97 but we dont believe her, has beautiful handwriting. Think the old term for it was copperplate. If i try joined up writing, it has the appearance of a drunk spider dipped in ink.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
To be fair, I would not be so bothered about people not spelling well or making grammar mistakes on here. The main thing is to be able to get your message across and communicate. To see could of when it should be could have rankles, but at the end of the day I know what the writer means.

If I see mistakes like that in letters or emails from companies, institutions, established organisations or similar formal things, then It really puts me off. If I were CEO or similar of an organisation which communicated in some way regularly with customers, I would do my utmost to make sure things were right. ……. even if it were just to make sure everyone used every available spellchecker.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I take the point to a degree but a throwaway comment on a forum shouldn't really matter. I still have to fix it though.

It would always matter to someone with any semblance of pride.

This!

I have to spell correctly at all times. It doesn't matter if it is an e-mail, a forum post, even a whatsapp message or a text. Always write correctly.

Cannot be doing with any of this 'c u at 6 m8' NONSENSE.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This!

I have to spell correctly at all times. It doesn't matter if it is an e-mail, a forum post, even a whatsapp message or a text. Always write correctly.

Cannot be doing with any of this 'c u at 6 m8' NONSENSE.
LOL. Legit, blud.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
How do we think the season will go ?

" Were Loose "

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Spelling mistakes shouldn't be aloud on here :dunce:

I write and edit words for a living, but I still reach for the dictionary on several occasions every day to check spellings. But I HAVE to check them. I've seen so many poorly written sentences that I often cannot understand how some of them haven't been re-read, let alone proof-read.

As an aside – opening myself up to potential egg on face, here – I find it hilarious when a pedant comes along and corrects something, but ends up makes a mistake in their correction. Simple pleasures and all that...

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
So you preference the z in spelling organisation?

Not az a rule. I copied and pazted ze definition from Googol. My bad!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here