Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper to Ajax for 21m

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Success and failure isn't simply determined by whether you do better than the season before.

It is partly so, when it is one of your 3 explicit major goals! 17th is worse than 15th... 36 is worse than 40...

TBF, Chris did avoid the drop, and we also had another great cup run...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It is partly so, when it is one of your 3 explicit major goals! 17th is worse than 15th... 36 is worse than 40...

Failing 1 out of 3 goals then... bye bye...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure how anyone can form an opinion on the signings when CH never played them (exc Bissouma)…
And when they were given a chance they were played out of position.
Signings are based on fitting into existing Team formation, CH then changed this.
Potter will only know what we have when he actually gets to train them.

They won’t all become PL successes, no club achieves that with transferred in players.

We’ll find out under GP which ones rise to the challenge and which players don’t cut it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How much time has he given Dunk and March who signed for the club as teenagers ?
18 minutes. That is the number in question. A refusal to dip into the U23 squad is partly to blame for Hughton's firing. The shithouse performances another factor.

Dunk was already playing when Hughton arrived I believe? I can't be bothered to look for March's debut. I just checked and it was before Hughton joined.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

You are quoting yourself, I guess there is increased likelihood of finding agreement.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You are quoting yourself, I guess there is increased likelihood of finding agreement.

LoL! Yes, I meant to edit my first post, but I do wholeheartedly agree with myself on this one! So does Tony BTW! ;-)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
18 minutes. That is the number in question. A refusal to dip into the U23 squad is partly to blame for Hughton's firing. The shithouse performances another factor.

Dunk was already playing when Hughton arrived I believe? I can't be bothered to look for March's debut. I just checked and it was before Hughton joined.

When did the club say this was a factor?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
When did the club say this was a factor?
OK. Why do you think he was fired? Because he over used the Academy? Putting too many high priced youngsters into the squad and putting our PL status in jeopardy?

Take a look at the club's announcement of Potter's appointment:

"The new head coach comes with a reputation at his two previous clubs of giving youngsters a chance, and asked if his appointment might mean that more of the club’s home-grown talent get an opportunity, Bloom added, “It can be quite difficult. We have only had category one academy status for five years so it’s quite new for us.

“The kids have to be the required level and that has gone up a long way in the Premier League. But if they are good enough, I’m sure Graham will put them in and we’re hopeful, in time, we will get more players through.”

Read into that what you like.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
OK. Why do you think he was fired? Because he over used the Academy? Putting too many high priced youngsters into the squad and putting our PL status in jeopardy?

Take a look at the club's announcement of Potter's appointment:

"The new head coach comes with a reputation at his two previous clubs of giving youngsters a chance, and asked if his appointment might mean that more of the club’s home-grown talent get an opportunity, Bloom added, “It can be quite difficult. We have only had category one academy status for five years so it’s quite new for us.

“The kids have to be the required level and that has gone up a long way in the Premier League. But if they are good enough, I’m sure Graham will put them in and we’re hopeful, in time, we will get more players through.”

Read into that what you like.

Perhaps read the article by Simon Rusk which throws light on the quality required to play in the PL....I can’t think of one player in the U23 last season that would definitely have made a big difference.....Potter had no choice but to play youngsters because the club sold most of their ‘star’ players...not really the case here is it....and in that interview with Bloom I see no criticism of CH because he didn’t regularly play U23’s

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Reading the Propper interview in the Argus you can definitely include him in the “players not happy with Hughton’s tactics” group. Which means likely he’ll have been encouraging Ajax’s flirting via his agent as he was clearly unhappy at the role he was asked to play. Likely he was as surprised as most of us in the change of manager. The question is whether he’s impressed enough by GP to change his mind (although it’s possible the ship has already sailed). For what it’s worth I rate Propper but wouldn’t be gutted if we replaced him with Camarasa who looks like a similar player who also scores and creates goals.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Downward trend and the risk is going down next year if it continues plus I suspect the major reason is the way we were set up to play suggesting that the trend would continue! The cup semi final masks the reality that we beat a weak Bournemouth team, just beat Derby, struggled against WBA and had a massive dose of luck against a team at the wrong end of the championship.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Perhaps read the article by Simon Rusk which throws light on the quality required to play in the PL....I can’t think of one player in the U23 last season that would definitely have made a big difference.....Potter had no choice but to play youngsters because the club sold most of their ‘star’ players...not really the case here is it....and in that interview with Bloom I see no criticism of CH because he didn’t regularly play U23’s

Tony Bloom isn't going to publicly criticise Hughton is he? Hughton is still looking for work (maybe) and Bloom appears to be an honourable man in keeping things to himself. For me there is enough in that interview to suggest TB wants more players coming up from the U23s and Hughton wouldn't be the man for that based on his 4 and a half years record.

As for not seeing any U23 who would have made a big difference-how would you or most of us know? They didn't get any game time under Hughton for anybody to see if they were good enough.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tony Bloom isn't going to publicly criticise Hughton is he? Hughton is still looking for work (maybe) and Bloom appears to be an honourable man in keeping things to himself. For me there is enough in that interview to suggest TB wants more players coming up from the U23s and Hughton wouldn't be the man for that based on his 4 and a half years record.

As for not seeing any U23 who would have made a big difference-how would you or most of us know? They didn't get any game time under Hughton for anybody to see if they were good enough.

What are you getting at re the CH is still looking for work....oh let me guess ..he’s not in another job because he’s not good enough?

Re the under 23’s...well some of us go to watch a few games....perhaps if we were in the Championship or league one one or some may have been seen..but we aren’t....TB himself has said it takes a fair time to get a result out of the investment.

I’ll go back to my original point ..I’ve not seen and don’t think CH was sacked because he didn’t play an U23 player...obviously the club want a return on their investment and hopefully they will get it sooner rather than later.
Disappointed that I am over the CH departure ...I can see the logic behind the feeling we’ve gone as far as we can with the enormous success we’ve had under him...Potter is a bold move ..but rather him than those older managers doing the circuit ...whether he does the ‘youths bit remains to be seen

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It can be partly so, but "CH failed (no improvement over season before last)" makes it sound like that's the only criteria, which it isn't.
Where did Bloom state these 3 explicit major goals?

When he explicitly sacked Chris...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

A very skewed interpretation of Bloom's words...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Downward trend and the risk is going down next year if it continues plus I suspect the major reason is the way we were set up to play suggesting that the trend would continue! The cup semi final masks the reality that we beat a weak Bournemouth team, just beat Derby, struggled against WBA and had a massive dose of luck against a team at the wrong end of the championship.

Agreed...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here