Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Virgil van Dijk for £3 Million! (and why we didn't sign him)

taz

Feb 18, 2015
at the time we made an offer for van dyke grongen were in a relegation battle and would not sell, by the summer when we would have renewed our interest poyet had left us and we were in the process of appointing a new manager Oscar Garcia, so we wouldn't have bought any players until the new manager was in place for his approval, Celtic came in and bought van dyke just at the wrong time for us !!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
David Gonzales, Christian Baz, Arisemendi, Battipiedi, Chris Holroyd...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Most of those were flyers before Bloom took over weren’t they

Oh and Calderon and turning a thug into a great player at the level, as well as introducing a style that blew away League One

No, Bloom took over in 2009, although those named players were at Withdean, not the Amex.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He didn’t discover Bridge or Vicente either but he talked them into coming here. Although it all blew up in our faces he also managed to convince CMS to join the “small club” when much bigger clubs wanted him.

He knew a good player when he saw one and the fact that he was happy to promote young players to the first team and instill believe in the helped us enormously in our rise

Do you think we’d have got them regardless of who our manager was?

I’m no Poyet apologist and was delighted when he was shown the door after the way he treated the club, but that doesn’t take away that he was very good at many aspects of managing us.

His press conferences were a “must watch” too :smile:

He also persuaded Kissichev to sign for us too.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Has someone really just made the argument his press conferences were a great watch?

Were these when he was talking about Leeds, questioning whether Murray was good enough to get 20 goals in league 1, or blaming the board for his failure to get us promoted? Wonder what the ceiling is like at talksport.

Bloke did an absolutely amazing job at Withdean and signed some very good players at The Amex, but signed quite a few duds also and failed to get us promoted when he should have. I guess the guy is desperate now and whoring himself out to anyone who will listen that he discovered Van Dijk. Tosser.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I love all this revisionist shite from Brighton fans about Gus.

He was a bloody excellent manager who took us from being a poor crappy third and fourth division team to a very good championship winning side who got promotions, and relegations, but brought the feel good factor back to a very dark place we had been in.

Yes it went sour at the end but this sniping by some of our "fans" in the same way as you hear bollocks about dick knight, which again trying to undermine his achievements, is really disrespectful to his legacy.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has someone really just made the argument his press conferences were a great watch?

Were these when he was talking about Leeds, questioning whether Murray was good enough to get 20 goals in league 1, or blaming the board for his failure to get us promoted? Wonder what the ceiling is like at talksport.

Bloke did an absolutely amazing job at Withdean and signed some very good players at The Amex, but signed quite a few duds also and failed to get us promoted when he should have. I guess the guy is desperate now and whoring himself out to anyone who will listen that he discovered Van Dijk. Tosser.

Come on, a Gus press interview made most of feel great, laugh, shout at the screen or want to throw something at it. Now Hughton is much calmer, considered and gentlemanly in all his press conferences but they are completely unwatchable for me :shrug:

So yes I’d say Gus press conferences were a great watch.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I love all this revisionist shite from Brighton fans about Gus.

He was a bloody excellent manager who took us from being a poor crappy third and fourth division team to a very good championship winning side who got promotions, and relegations, but brought the feel good factor back to a very dark place we had been in.

Yes it went sour at the end but this sniping by some of our "fans" in the same way as you hear bollocks about dick knight, which again trying to undermine his achievements, is really disrespectful to his legacy.
Extremely this.

Who signed Calderon - I forget?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
at the time we made an offer for van dyke grongen were in a relegation battle and would not sell, by the summer when we would have renewed our interest poyet had left us and we were in the process of appointing a new manager Oscar Garcia, so we wouldn't have bought any players until the new manager was in place for his approval, Celtic came in and bought van dyke just at the wrong time for us !!

This is pretty much how I recall it too. We were in for Van Dijk way before anyone else and Gus even went over to the Netherlands a couple of times to watch him, but Groningen simply would not sell.

We also signed Leo Ulloa in the same transfer window for about £2m and considering how close we came to automatic promotion, it would have been interesting to have seen what would have happened if we had landed Virgil too.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

LVGull

May 13, 2016
One thing he could do was spot a talented player. Absolute shit at spotting forwards though

He attracted players that were totally out of our league and although he was an egostistical **** who irritated the **** out of me with his touting at every opportunity you won’t hear me say a bad word about his ability to talk players into coming to the Albion

I think the alleged refusal of the board to sign Van Dijk hurried along his desire to leave too

****Breaking News****

Due to political correctness Dick Van Dyke has changed his name to Penis Lorry Lesbian

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Doesn't it depend on the clauses in contract?
No. If we sell him to Celtic, who then sell to Southampton, that would be the transaction any sell on would be applicable for, with our contract with celtic. We wouldn't get a sell on for every subsequent sale, no. So we wouldn't see any of the 80 mil agreed between Soton and Liverpool.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Looks like we dodged a bullet based on tonight's performance. :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here