Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Chris Packham

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm more concerned with vile development companies putting netting around trees to stop birds nesting than what the crow gets up to. That's natural.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm more concerned with vile development companies putting netting around trees to stop birds nesting than what the crow gets up to. That's natural.

North Norfolk council were forced to take down netting off the cliffs in Bacton, when sand martins, having flown thousands of miles north to build their nests found they couldn't access them, and were getting caught up in the netting.

There is also an issue with landowners cutting back hedges, which has had a detrimental effect on birds nesting and hedgerow animals such as the hedgehog.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Springwatch monitored a blue tit's nesting box but a green woodpecker found it and eat every one of the fledgelings as they left the nest. Rooks, crows and magpies get all the bad publicity but nobody is talking about going round shooting woodpeckers.
It is nature.

If there was woodpecker population the size of the corvids then You would be able to shoot them, but there isn’t because they have bigger predators. Corvids don’t have one.
What you describe is nature, you’re quite correct, it’s the food chain, conservation is the only way to stop extinction and to keep a predatory species from taking over, if crows and rooks became endangered then that management quite rightly has to be stopped.
I’m not sure if you fully understand the reason for them being culled. It’s not sport it’s a means to an end.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
He has stated numerous times he prefers animals to people. One of the many things we agree on.

I really do not get that statement. If we all thought like that there would be no human race. Therefore you would not exist to have those thoughts.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I really do not get that statement. If we all thought like that there would be no human race. Therefore you would not exist to have those thoughts.

Huh? How’d you come to that conclusion?
I said I prefer animals to humans, not that I want to kill all the humans.
The human race would undoubtedly be in far better shape if we cared more about the species we share our planet with.

What a strange way of thinking you have.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Huh? How’d you come to that conclusion?
I said I prefer animals to humans, not that I want to kill all the humans.
The human race would undoubtedly be in far better shape if we cared more about the species we share our planet with.

What a strange way of thinking you have.

Totally agree with yourself and Chris Packham...much prefer the company of animals to people.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Totally agree with yourself and Chris Packham...much prefer the company of animals to people.

What we need is a couple of giraffes up front, lightning quick jaguars on the wings, a tiger as midfield enforcer, flanked by a couple of really pacy midfield panthers and a very athletic pair of monkeys in goal!
Come on Mr. Ashworth, you know it makes sense!:D

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I watched his documentary about Aspergers with my Aspie boy a couple of years ago. He connected and identified with Chris Packham more than any other person on the spectrum. It was around the time that my boy was getting an in-depth understanding of himself and this film was a cornerstone of that process. I can't thank Chris Packham enough for sharing his story and illuminating some shadowy corners of a young man's self.

I remember your post on this and found it really moving. Hope your lad is getting on well :thumbsup:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks mate. He is doing really well at the moment. Loving his football and getting on well with others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No that’s not at all what he’s saying......did you even read his post ?
He used the fox as example of a species that has no natural predators. He said crows and rooks without management will result in a decline in our small bird population.
This is fact, not fiction. Having seen crows taking freshly hatched chicks out of their nest isn’t the most pleasant thing I’ve ever seen.

Yep did read it and took it as another jibe at foxes. The issue is man has interfered with nature and caused all sorts of imbalances which are not helpful. You will be aware that we lost a lot of predatory birds because 'they were taking lambs' even though no actual details were given of numbers involved or any consideration whether they might be picking up already dead carcasses. But let's be clear the biggest threat to those lambs is mankind.

I understand the issue with too many corvids and potential threat they deliver to small wildlife but insecticides and removal of protective hedges and loss of their environment are all bigger threats. Blasting birds out of the sky because there are too many of them is not a real solution, lets get some respect back for our wildlife and if our food has to cost more then so be it. If we respect it then some of the issues will disappear naturally.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anonymous present to Chris.

[tweet]1122547980639322112[/tweet]

I laughed out loud at one response.
I’m no twitcher, but that’s surely a woodcock?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Watched Chris Packham on GMB this morning saying hes now receiving death threats. Crazy. Thought it was funny though when he was reminded of the petition to get him sacked from the BBC - & his response was to say that he isnt actually employed by the BBC anyway :D Im sure he will have plenty of other things to do if they decided not to hire him in future, which is the impression I got from him too.
I've always liked the guy (that documentary he made about himself was fascinating) & applaud him for his beliefs and efforts as a conservationist.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Watched Chris Packham on GMB this morning saying hes now receiving death threats. Crazy. Thought it was funny though when he was reminded of the petition to get him sacked from the BBC - & his response was to say that he isnt actually employed by the BBC anyway :D Im sure he will have plenty of other things to do if they decided not to hire him in future, which is the impression I got from him too.
I've always liked the guy (that documentary he made about himself was fascinating) & applaud him for his beliefs and efforts as a conservationist.

This, this and this. Bloke's a legend whether you like his style or what he has to say or not. Need more like him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here