Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Saw the Dead South at the O2 Forum in Kentish Town last Friday, really enjoyed it. I think they also played the Concorde recently.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Quick question for the gig knowledgeable...

If you get put on the guest list do you still need a ticket ?

I'm guessing you just turn up and tell them your name at the door, but any advice welcome...cheers

I've been to a lot of gigs, but can't give you a concrete answer, as I've never been on a guest list. I'd imagine that's what you do, and have seen others doing precisely this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm guessing you just turn up and tell them your name at the door, but any advice welcome...cheers

Depends. There’s usually a free guest list and a paying (usually discounted) guest list.

And you don’t usuallly need a ticket, you just turn up and state your name. They’ll cross check the list and if you’re on it in you go. If you have more than entry, e.g. guest area, you’ll get given the necessary passes/wristbands.

My advice is to ask the person who’s sorted it out if it’s paying or free, and what sort of entry you have...you might end up with the crowd when you could be in the guest area sipping free drinks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

.....who is it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Babybird, Friday at the Conc 2....I tweeted Stephen Jones to say I thought his blinding set at the Heineken Festival in the early 90’s was up there with my all time favourites and he replied I was on the guest list for Friday :)

Hadn’t got a ticket yet so bingo I thought.

Brilliant. Given what I said earlier I imagine it’s free entry then.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Babybird, Friday at the Conc 2....I tweeted Stephen Jones to say I thought his blinding set at the Heineken Festival in the early 90’s was up there with my all time favourites and he replied I was on the guest list for Friday :)

Hadn’t got a ticket yet so bingo I thought.

C2 have started charging a fiver (to charity) for guestlist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just off to enjoy the Gloucester Folk Trail - a weekend of free live music in pubs all over the city from about 3:00pm onwards.

Gloucester's quite good at this sort of thing (except in publicising them!) - this weekend it's (very broadly) folk.. We also have an excellent week long Blues Festival (all free, all in pubs) and a weekend Shanty Festival, which is also a lot more fun than those who are keen on electro-pop, heavy metal, hip hop, etc. might imagine!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I went to Bristol last night, my son is at uni there, and saw Massive Attack.

It was superb. They played Mezzanine and covers of The Cure's 10.15 on a Saturday Nights, Bauhaus' Bela Lugosi's Dead, Ultravox's Rockwroc and The Velvet Underground's I Found a Reason.

Great to see them in their hometown with a truly celebratory crowd.

And I made it to the game today by the skin of my teeth!

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I went to Bristol last night, my son is at uni there, and saw Massive Attack.

It was superb. They played Mezzanine and covers of The Cure's 10.15 on a Saturday Nights, Bauhaus' Bela Lugosi's Dead, Ultravox's Rockwroc and The Velvet Underground's I Found a Reason.

Great to see them in their hometown with a truly celebratory crowd.

Was in attendance as well...there has been a wide rage of opinions about last night- it is almost like NSC at its finest...it was an experience, I think I marvelled more at the effort to stage it from scratch on a disused airfield. Not a great fan of MA was accompanying a mate who had been let down at the last minute I did enjoy the covers perhaps more than the MA numbers :) but glad I went.

SeagullNoob

Feb 25, 2019
West Sussex
I saw Gil Scott Heron at the East Wing of the Brighton Centre once. It was after 12.30am when he came on. Mrs Mahone and I had a little nap while we waited.
That is amazing. I true legend causally strolling round Brighton and did a gig. Was it a lot of spoken word stuff or some of his hits. Even though they are long songs. One of my musical heros. His last album and album with Jamie xx are both amazing if you haven't heard them

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That is amazing. I true legend causally strolling round Brighton and did a gig. Was it a lot of spoken word stuff or some of his hits. Even though they are long songs. One of my musical heros. His last album and album with Jamie xx are both amazing if you haven't heard them

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Well, I'm not sure what you mean about the "casually strolling round Brighton and did a gig" bit.

GSH played in Brighton a few times, and I saw him quite often in London too. He, and his band, were magnificent live. His gigs were not spoken word, they were full on. powerful jazz/soul/funk fusion with incredible instrumentation.

He was as good a performer as I have seen, always with a smile on his face, always chatty between songs - absolutely engaging in an almost avuncular way.

I loved Gil. RIP.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here