Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bum bandits

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Gutted I'm missing this with work here on the ship, be a great day out. Hope we get both tiers so we have a chance to really add to the atmosphere. I go back to the 70's when had some proper ding dongs with Millwall.
I have a lot of respect for all genuine supporters of all teams, but I think Millwall's problem is the type they attract & that latch on, especially for higher profile games.

Players need to be briefed though!

Love to see Murray give them the stare when he gets the winner at the Cold Blowjob Lane end.[emoji52][emoji460]️

Or better still, blow them a kiss[emoji129][emoji173][emoji105]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Agree. Millwall is a great day out, done it many a time, never seen any trouble. We sound pathetic bleating on about 'homophobia' if you can't deal with it don't go, do some flower arranging for the afternoon. Much prefer the atmosphere Millwall generate than the usual tennis match 'atmosphere' you get at so many grounds nowadays.

spot on.

We sound like a right bunch of c* nts

No wonder teams laugh at us

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We'll have to have our wits about us. If we do, then this is totally winnable.

Seems Millwall think we are a tough nut to crack, although they'll be banking on another Everton performance. However, I don't think Everton put out a strong squad for them, and I think they have little depth. Our' second 11' however, I have faith in. Look at the 'second' team - Biss, Bernardo, Bruno, Burn, Button, Knocky etc. These players are fighting for first team places.

This from the Millwall chatroom sums it up...

"Gonna be a tough one this, Chris Hughton is nobody’s fool and will pay us due respect. Also in Dunk and Duffy have a very good CB pairing, and with Knockaert and of course Murray up front they have players who have experience of playing at The Den. Hopefully we can get one back on them for stitching us up with Skalak."

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
You're missing the point. It isn't about straight people putting up with the banter, it's about the gay people in sections of both crowds who are basically hearing 1000s chanting negative things about being gay. Such chants can have a lasting impact on them. Plus crowds should be able to create a good atmosphere without discriminating against minority groups.

Is being gay so bad that being reminded of it is truly painful? ???

I've got a little belly, grey hair, a fairly big nose, a face which is becoming increasingly wrinkled, and I'm Northern - and fairly ugly... all of which (apart from Northern, which I don't really mind) I am not best pleased about. If 1,000's of people chanted ALL of this at me, I'd be inclined to agree (as it's true) - and I'd then give as much back as I got.

Being gay is about 'out and proud' and being strong about it, isn't it? Standing up for yourself, who you are, your rights, and not being ashamed of it. So, why not take the chance to face the chants head on and give some verbals back instead of being upset? If they want to sing songs about being gay, so what... You're above that. If you're not, don't go to Millwall away for the next 20-30 years until the old homophobes are dead and buried.

If they physically assault you for being gay, different story altogether - but these are words, meant to offend. I doubt 99.99% of them would ever say that to you in the street anyway - but add beer, possibly coke and the bravado of having all their mates around them they get all trappy.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is being gay so bad that being reminded of it is truly painful? ???

I've got a little belly, grey hair, a fairly big nose, a face which is becoming increasingly wrinkled, and I'm Northern - and fairly ugly... all of which (apart from Northern, which I don't really mind) I am not best pleased about. If 1,000's of people chanted ALL of this at me, I'd be inclined to agree (as it's true) - and I'd then give as much back as I got.

Being gay is about 'out and proud' and being strong about it, isn't it? Standing up for yourself, who you are, your rights, and not being ashamed of it. So, why not take the chance to face the chants head on and give some verbals back instead of being upset? If they want to sing songs about being gay, so what... You're above that. If you're not, don't go to Millwall away for the next 20-30 years until the old homophobes are dead and buried.

If they physically assault you for being gay, different story altogether - but these are words, meant to offend. I doubt 99.99% of them would ever say that to you in the street anyway - but add beer, possibly coke and the bravado of having all their mates around them they get all trappy.

Now apply racism to your argument. It's discrimination.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
'We can see you holding hands' is so offensive!!

Ah the age old defence.
You know what is offensive and what isn't. Joe Root put it succinctly when he said, being gay is not an insult. There is nothing wrong with being gay.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
You're missing the point. It isn't about straight people putting up with the banter, it's about the gay people in sections of both crowds who are basically hearing 1000s chanting negative things about being gay. Such chants can have a lasting impact on them. Plus crowds should be able to create a good atmosphere without discriminating against minority groups.

Not all members of the LGBT community are shrinking violets. From my perspective, I can dish it as good as I can take it (no pun intended). Other LGBT individuals may well agree with what you've said, but I seriously would question their passion for the game if such so-called "homophobic" chants have a lasting impact on them. Many gay people (especially football fans) that I know - including myself - are actually very self-deprecating and would laugh along with the sneering and the mocking. Knowing that in truth, it illustrates the insecurities of a subset of supporters, who adopt the herd mentality that makes people do and say crazy-ass things.

For what it's worth, I fully agree with your last point though. But some things will never change, and clubs will look for stereotypes to take the piss out of the opposition. You have to just rise above it... or throw a bit of stick back in their direction. I'm not saying this is right; I'm saying this is just football.

The issue of race that you bring up in your later post is a classic case of whataboutery. I couldn't comment on that myself.

I would also like to quickly point out the hypocrisy of Millwall on two fronts:

1) They are based in the centre of a city that has even more LGBT people per capita than Brighton. Their stadium is barely 5 miles as the crow flies from Soho FFS;
2) They really do have an irony deficiency. After the 7/7 atrocities, I believe they played Luton Town, the latter making fun of the casualities from those attacks (IMO far more tasteless and perverse than some mild anti-gay chants). Suffice to say, the 'Wall were none too pleased.

When non-football-loving people ask me why I enjoy the sport, I point out that the electric atmosphere created at times can unite groups of strangers. It is a tribal thing that's hard to explain. This electric atmosphere can be even more intense when there is a level of antagonism from both sets of fans. The non-football-supporting people don't understand, and that's why they will never have an affinity for the game like I do, and you do. Do not for one second think I'm condoning cut-throat gestures, death threats, comments about AIDS and physical abuse. Quite the opposite: I am saying that crying foul on cliched terrace chants actually distracts from the more serious cases of genuine homophobia that do have an impact on LGBT people (and those from other minorities)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not all members of the LGBT community are shrinking violets. From my perspective, I can dish it as good as I can take it (no pun intended). Other LGBT individuals may well agree with what you've said, but I seriously would question their passion for the game if such so-called "homophobic" chants have a lasting impact on them. Many gay people (especially football fans) that I know - including myself - are actually very self-deprecating and would laugh along with the sneering and the mocking. Knowing that in truth, it illustrates the insecurities of a subset of supporters, who adopt the herd mentality that makes people do and say crazy-ass things.

For what it's worth, I fully agree with your last point though. But some things will never change, and clubs will look for stereotypes to take the piss out of the opposition. You have to just rise above it... or throw a bit of stick back in their direction. I'm not saying this is right; I'm saying this is just football.

The issue of race that you bring up in your later post is a classic case of whataboutery. I couldn't comment on that myself.

I would also like to quickly point out the hypocrisy of Millwall on two fronts:

1) They are based in the centre of a city that has even more LGBT people per capita than Brighton. Their stadium is barely 5 miles as the crow flies from Soho FFS;
2) They really do have an irony deficiency. After the 7/7 atrocities, I believe they played Luton Town, the latter making fun of the casualities from those attacks (IMO far more tasteless and perverse than some mild anti-gay chants). Suffice to say, the 'Wall were none too pleased.

When non-football-loving people ask me why I enjoy the sport, I point out that the electric atmosphere created at times can unite groups of strangers. It is a tribal thing that's hard to explain. This electric atmosphere can be even more intense when there is a level of antagonism from both sets of fans. The non-football-supporting people don't understand, and that's why they will never have an affinity for the game like I do, and you do. Do not for one second think I'm condoning cut-throat gestures, death threats, comments about AIDS and physical abuse. Quite the opposite: I am saying that crying foul on cliched terrace chants actually distracts from the more serious cases of genuine homophobia that do have an impact on LGBT people (and those from other minorities)

For what it's worth I think your post is superb and makes many good points.

I would suspect you are of an age group that has got to the stage of not giving a damn about what people say or think which is an excellent position to be in - I don't think it covers the youngsters who may still be intimated by it. We need them to feel included and feel welcome and anything the authorities can do to make it better would be welcome.

It also doesn't address why not one Top Tier footballer is openly gay - Not that I think there needs to be because it is no ones business but their own but we do need the path as clear and open to them as possible, should they want to tread that path.

Millwall are no better or worse than any other club. Except perhaps Brighton fans. They are the most tolerant and aware club that I have ever come across on so many issues and for that they should be commended. And trust me I have seen many clubs from the ''inner workings'' of them

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Agree. Millwall is a great day out, done it many a time, never seen any trouble. We sound pathetic bleating on about 'homophobia' if you can't deal with it don't go, do some flower arranging for the afternoon. Much prefer the atmosphere Millwall generate than the usual tennis match 'atmosphere' you get at so many grounds nowadays.

It's not pathetic to go on about it. It's 2019 and to use it as a childish insult shows how clubs like Millwall need to clean up their reputation (as cricketer Joe Root responded from sledging from a West Indies bowler). Maybe ground closure, heavy fines or points deducted would get the message through. I've been to the very hostile old grounds of Welsh clubs Cardiff and Swansea - Ninian Park and the Vetch Field. Can't recall any homophobic abuse, just the very intimidating atmosphere.

Sometimes you need an edge to a game but not to the point where it involves racism, homophobia or sexism. That's crossing the line. I wouldn't take my nephew if he wanted to go to this match - which he doesn't.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
For what it's worth I think your post is superb and makes many good points.

I would suspect you are of an age group that has got to the stage of not giving a damn about what people say or think which is an excellent position to be in - I don't think it covers the youngsters who may still be intimated by it. We need them to feel included and feel welcome and anything the authorities can do to make it better would be welcome.

It also doesn't address why not one Top Tier footballer is openly gay - Not that I think there needs to be because it is no ones business but their own but we do need the path as clear and open to them as possible, should they want to tread that path.

Millwall are no better or worse than any other club. Except perhaps Brighton fans. They are the most tolerant and aware club that I have ever come across on so many issues and for that they should be commended. And trust me I have seen many clubs from the ''inner workings'' of them

I'm in my mid-20s, so I am old enough to know better while being too young to have been caught up in the hooligan era. You make a good argument, but I would add that too many people think of sexual orientation as a lifestyle. They treat their sexuality as a defining part of who they are. Fair play, and more power to them, but I do not. I don't particularly want or care that people know who I do in the bedroom. This is why, FWIW, I'm perfectly fine with there being no openly gay footballer currently playing in the upper divisions. It will become their label, their defining characteristic. To what end?

I'm not a stereotypical gay man. I'm the only one at work with a mug of my football team on my desk. I have atrocious fashion sense (who wears cargo shorts in winter ffs?), I practice krav maga and hold conservative (small 'c') values. Some of these things are what makes me who I am. Not who I take home at night.

Everything else you mentioned is pretty damn-well near spot-on.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's not pathetic to go on about it. It's 2019 and to use it as a childish insult shows how clubs like Millwall need to clean up their reputation (as cricketer Joe Root responded from sledging from a West Indies bowler). Maybe ground closure, heavy fines or points deducted would get the message through. I've been to the very hostile old grounds of Welsh clubs Cardiff and Swansea - Ninian Park and the Vetch Field. Can't recall any homophobic abuse, just the very intimidating atmosphere.

Sometimes you need an edge to a game but not to the point where it involves racism, homophobia or sexism. That's crossing the line. I wouldn't take my nephew if he wanted to go to this match - which he doesn't.

I once thought ''points deductions'' were the way forward. Then had a meeting on the subject and it was pointed out that you could have grounds infiltrated by fans from opposing clubs initiating such violations in order to get another club a ''points deduction'' in order to get them relegated or to overtake them in the race for a play off spot.

Heavy fines can work but if a club does everything humanly possible to stamp it out then ''is it really the clubs problem'' or is it ''society in general'' - It would be great if there was a magic wand to resolve this issue but sadly there isn't

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"Some roughs are really queer, and some queers are really rough"

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA

Spot on. Some real preciousness on here today. The 1991 play off semi up there, and the one at the Goldstone before it, were among the top 5 memories supporting the Albion, which I have done in person since '72. Get up there, cheer the team to Wembley because we will probably not get a better chance, and enjoy what will be an amazing atmosphere.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here