Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can you score a legitimate goal from off the pitch?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Perfectly legitimate goal. My take on it - if you watch closely, Balogan kicks the player and then, thinking it might be a pen, nonchelantly walks away forgetting the fact that the ball is still in play and leaving an easy tap in. Bizarre.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Lads please c’mon.....

Sorry, I got annoyed with a previous reply to me over the weekend when I was referring to, with quote, someone else and he thought it was aimed at him quite inexplicably, since then I have watched him dig at me. This thread was asking a quite innocent question until this...

Once, twice, three times a knobhead (recently) - I may have to add him to my list.....:facepalm:

OP sort yourself out FFS! If you are on drugs, I don't want any of them.

I have a right to reply to the idiot.

Apologies to everyone else.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What a weird thread.

Back to the original question though. He wasn’t off the pitch or offside for the original delivery or the flick on from Burn which touches the Brom player first.

What is an interesting question is around exiting the pitch and re-entering. If you were doing it deliberately to gain an advantage (such as striker going off the pitch for a corner and then coming back on as it’s taken) then it wouldn’t stand - but when momentum takes you off or some other legitimate piece of play and you return as soon as you can then the goal does stand (I am pretty sure I’ve read that on one of the ‘you’re the ref’ type things)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
OK I'll take it as legitimate, as I did the ball over the line v West Ham :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is one thread, this one, the one you decided to interrupt without any reply other than attack another poster. Of course you are totally blameless. You seem to think you own NSC these days.

Oh, FFS. Of course I don't own NSC. I'm just another anonymous arse who likes the chat on here. However......this has clearly got a bit weird. I think....I may have hurt your feelings....and after all the brickbats have melted away....that would be regrettable. I apologise for that. You have obviously pissed me off, but it may have been wiser or kinder that I not engage. I actually thought you were being a 'junior' with some of your posts (WUM) but it seems you were being sincere. I'll put you on ignore and then won't be tempted to be drawn into any more opprobrium. Chalk and cheese can go their separate ways. And...exhale.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Oh, FFS. Of course I don't own NSC. I'm just another anonymous arse who likes the chat on here. However......this has clearly got a bit weird. I think....I may have hurt your feelings....and after all the brickbats have melted away....that would be regrettable. I apologise for that. You have obviously pissed me off, but it may have been wiser or kinder that I not engage. I actually thought you were being a 'junior' with some of your posts (WUM) but it seems you were being sincere. I'll put you on ignore and then won't be tempted to be drawn into any more opprobrium. Chalk and cheese can go their separate ways. And...exhale.

I won't shed any tears... idiot.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

I'll keep it going then if you have put him on ignore.

He just called you an idiot.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
Just stopped for a coffee on the way back from the game and thought I’d have 5 mins on NSC to see if the troops are [emoji2]
Seems not! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a weird thread.

Back to the original question though. He wasn’t off the pitch or offside for the original delivery or the flick on from Burn which touches the Brom player first.

What is an interesting question is around exiting the pitch and re-entering. If you were doing it deliberately to gain an advantage (such as striker going off the pitch for a corner and then coming back on as it’s taken) then it wouldn’t stand - but when momentum takes you off or some other legitimate piece of play and you return as soon as you can then the goal does stand (I am pretty sure I’ve read that on one of the ‘you’re the ref’ type things)

Exactly. People need to look a the reality of the game. If you have to get permission to come back on the pitch then why don't we see everyone taking a throw in asking for permission to come back on? As you say, if you deliberately leave the field of play to gain an advantage then you need permission.

What I don't get, but I do remember a ball boy doing it at Man City in the 70s, is that anyone can actually score? Fan or player? If you're there, even off the pitch it is legit?

Don't think that is the case. The best known relatively recent example was the sunderland beach ball and the ref got demoted for allowing it.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/oct/19/beach-ball-referee-demoted-sunderland-liverpool

Not when the initial cross was played - he was onside then. By the time Burn headed it his momentum had taken him off the pitch.

If you watch the bbc clip of the goal you will see at no time does his entire body cross the line.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/47152480

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What I don't get (scoring from off the pitch)...

WBA Goal copy.png

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you watch the whole clip, the last part is a camera view along the goal line and at no time is he entirely off the pitch.

Would it be legit if a player off the pitch for injury but next to the line, waiting to be waved on, got a ball next to him, whacked the ball and it soared over the keepers head and Sidwellesque ended up in the onion bag?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No mention of the fistfuls of shirt Bartley had on Balogun before he dragged him out of the way and tapped it in ? Balogun should've been stronger and dealt with it, but I thought shirt-tugging was supposed to be naughty.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
The quick answer is no.

The long answer is that where the ball defines where the player is. For example, if a GK is standing in their box but reaches out of the box to grab the ball they have handled the ball outside of the box. Or likewise, as someone else pointed out, scoring directly from a corner is ligit even though a portion of their body would be outside of the lines. You’re on the pitch if your body is over the lines.

So when Bartley scored, his foot was in/over the field of play meaning he is on the pitch. You can’t be off the pitch if you’re making contact with a ball (thats in play).

And also, in last nights example, when Bartley scored his standing foot was on the line and wasn’t standing behind it so this wouldn’t fall in to this debate anyway.

The rules do get confusing, especially when players perpusfully stand off the pitch to avoid being flagged offside but the best way I can describe it is, if you touch the ball and the ball is in play you’re on the pitch. I think that’s right and I hope that clears it up.

And thanks for the great banter lads.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Would it be legit if a player off the pitch for injury but next to the line, waiting to be waved on, got a ball next to him, whacked the ball and it soared over the keepers head and Sidwellesque ended up in the onion bag?

As someone else has already pointed out, that wouldn't be allowed and the player should actually be cautioned for returning to the field of play without permission. However, I assume you have now watched the whole clip and accept that the player never completely left the field of play anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here