Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gross rating

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Worries me that people still think he should be achieving what he did last season but in a much deeper position.

Created numerous chances but as they weren’t converted he is obviously struggling for form.... how many chances did Bissouma create yesterday ?
Is he much deeper?It looks to me as though he still gets in
the same positions as he always has around the edge of the box
occasionally getting in it and knocking crosses in from fairly deep wide positions
Pretty much the same as he did last season the only thing he’s not doing from what
I can see is closing the opp CH down like he did last season not sure he’s being
asked to much different from what he’s always done
I’m sure the injury and fairly lengthy layoff hasn’t helped
Just wish he was a yard or two quicker and not constantly on his heels

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Is he much deeper?It looks to me as though he still gets in
the same positions as he always has around the edge of the box
occasionally getting in it and knocking crosses in from fairly deep wide positions
Pretty much the same as he did last season the only thing he’s not doing from what
I can see is closing the opp CH down like he did last season not sure he’s being
asked to much different from what he’s always done
I’m sure the injury and fairly lengthy layoff hasn’t helped
Just wish he was a yard or two quicker and not constantly on his heels

He is playing far deeper than he was, often last season he was ahead of Murray........ this season he has been the furthest player back at times, although it is probably more noticeable away from home than at the Amex. Certainly yesterday he dropped in and covered as Montoya and March ran forward.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I just think that this deeper midfield role doesn’t suit his style of play and exposes his lack of pace and inability to make tackles more. Yes, he did put in a couple of sublime crosses yesterday but unfortunately in the position he’s playing we need more than that from him for 90 minutes. With this formation we’re currently playing I’m starting to believe that a better midfield 3 is Stephens playing in the deeper role with Propper and Bissouma playing more advanced. I think we’d create more from Propper and Bissouma going forward than what Gross is contributing at the moment, plus all 3 are much better at winning the ball back than Gross.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Doesn't look fit to me.

Critically, his very lightweight in the tackle, turns his back on clearances (twice today hit on the back) and somehow retracts his head into his torso when challenging for a header.

I'm of precisely the same opinion, it's almost as if he is playing with an injury, and is playing within himself. Maybe it's a confidence issue and he isn't completely over that prolongued injury niggle that kept him out of the team earlier in the season.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Funny that, as he never played as a No10 until he came here

Been exclusively a midfielder until he came to Brighton
Yeah, in a team that got relegated...

He is purely a numbers player. Friend on the train home said Sky Sports Opta thingy had his as MOTM based purely on statistical analysis. I bloody love Excel, databases and statistical analysis but sometimes you have to look past that and say, does he actually do what the team need of a player in that role at the moment and for me, it's a no

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
He literally put in the balls for our best chances to score yesterday and yet people say that's not good enough? What the ****? Gross is so important to us with his corners, free kicks and crosses from open play.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He literally put in the balls for our best chances to score yesterday and yet people say that's not good enough? What the ****? Gross is so important to us with his corners, free kicks and crosses from open play.

...and his defensive work......and his linking up with Montoya and Solly on the right, and cover allowing Solly more free reign to attack in the 433 and not have to worry about being a second right back all the time.....

........but apart from that, what has the highly skilled, intelligent German ever done for us eh ? [emoji849][emoji849]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...and his defensive work......and his linking up with Montoya and Solly on the right, and cover allowing Solly more free reign to attack in the 433 and not have to worry about being a second right back all the time.....

........but apart from that, what has the highly skilled, intelligent German ever done for us eh ? [emoji849][emoji849]

He's the reverse Duffy.

GoogleMe was ok at best last season, yet fantastic this season because he has scored 4 goals.
Pascal now needs to be dropped because his goals have 'dried up'.

The fact that both players over both seasons have been brilliant at their actual jobs is neither here nor there.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
He has an excellent cross on him, but he has been getting a lot of simple passes wrong recently. Not sure why it's happening, but it is noticable.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
He is playing well although a bit too deep for my liking often picking the ball up in front of the full back. He is good on the ball and uses it well.
My only concern with him playing so deep is his inability to tackle as we saw with the needless penalty against Liverpool.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Just not as influential as last season. Maybe coz he was so good lastbseason, maybe injury hampered his season but for me personally, the position he’s now playing means he has more defensive duties and doesn’t find that pocket of space as often as he was last season.

And two of the clips weren’t free kicks !

Pretty much everything we do well going forward involves Groß, yet some seem to want to say he is out of form or not playing well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here