Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Houghton still unemployed

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Are you sure? I suspect that, having been sacked, his contract was either paid up, a financial agreement reached or the club just stopped paying and it's up to him to take them to court. If you're sacked, you stop getting a salary.

I hope I am right but here goes......

If our club has just stopped paying him, and he needed to take us to court, we will have lost our soul. We are the decent club, not pushovers but fair, fight our corner when needed but don’t succumb to the levels of others. TB is a businessman and will protect his interests, but I don’t see him welching on a couple of mill. Like me and two hundred quid.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hughton is one of those managers who delivers what it says on the tin. Overlook someone with Championship pedigree at your peril.

Jonathan Woodgate to Boro - good luck with that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My first thought on this was exactly as you say. CH does not trust inexperienced young players and will only be successful (imo) in taking a team out of the Championship if he has experienced players to form the backbone. The talk of needing to see players at least 30 times in training before he trusted them sounds possible (no idea if this was fact or supposition btw).

Derby seem determined to go for the young player approach, this does not sound like a job made in heaven for either Derby or CH

Depending on his current relationship with TB it’ll be interesting to see if he wants to take some players from the Albion to his new club, assuming he still wants to be involved in day to day football pressures. I cannot imagine that he NEEDS a job

You say that, but under Hughton's watch, Solly March played for the first team, ruptured his cruciate at Derby, recovered, played for the England U21s and won Young Player of the year award.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Managers rarely get their contracts fully paid out. Likely a settlement offer is put in front of them to take it or leave it.

Source - I was on a recent England trip with someone who's wife works with the LMA.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You say that, but under Hughton's watch, Solly March played for the first team, ruptured his cruciate at Derby, recovered, played for the England U21s and won Young Player of the year award.

Solly had had more than 30 first team appearances before Hughton arrived, so CH didn't exactly pluck him untried from the youth team; he was already a first-teamer..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I don’t remember specifics but I recall him not getting much game time and being dropped to the bench quite regularly when we were in the Championship in season 2 of CH.. I wouldn’t have called him a shoo in for a long time. Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Was it in season 2 he got injured?

Care to elaborate on other players he promoted from the youth set up?

My recollection of CH’s teams are ones with plenty of experience for the most part.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The football being served up in the latter stages of his tenure would hardly endear him to fans of other clubs would it.
Never want to witness that again.

That may well be true, but most other fans thought we were mad to get rid of him at the time.
So I doubt that is the reason he hasn't got a job yet.

The issue is more likely to be that he wants to manage in the Premier League and there aren't any vacancies yet.
When the shit starts hitting the fan in January, there may well be some clubs interested in a Manager with a track record of keeping clubs in the Division.
Pretty football or not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That may well be true, but most other fans thought we were mad to get rid of him at the time.
So I doubt that is the reason he hasn't got a job yet.

The issue is more likely to be that he wants to manage in the Premier League and there aren't any vacancies yet.
When the shit starts hitting the fan in January, there may well be some clubs interested in a Manager with a track record of keeping clubs in the Division.
Pretty football or not.

Yes, because the real reason *little old Brighton* were playing *above their station* could only be Chris Hughton. Pat on the head - no right to complain about tactics.

However, when it comes to their own sleeping world-beating super club, perhaps a different story ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t remember specifics but I recall him not getting much game time and being dropped to the bench quite regularly when we were in the Championship in season 2 of CH.. I wouldn’t have called him a shoo in for a long time. Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Was it in season 2 he got injured?

Care to elaborate on other players he promoted from the youth set up?

My recollection of CH’s teams are ones with plenty of experience for the most part.

Yes, it was in season 2, he ruptured his cruciate and was out for months.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Hughton is one of those managers who delivers what it says on the tin. Overlook someone with Championship pedigree at your peril.

Jonathan Woodgate to Boro - good luck with that.

Indeed, Woodgate at Boro is a disaster waiting to happen. Heard him on the radio the other day saying he was going to bring about an attacking brand of football. Also adding he won't tolerate players being late for training. I had to switch off the wireless in the end as I was so petrified.

Gibson has gone down the cheapskate route. Has got 'Next stop League One' written all over it.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Whatever Chris is doing, whether it's a holiday or he is looking for another job, I only want to wish him the very best for the future.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Charlton would have been a good gig for him but seems they've sorted out the issues with their manager.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Indeed, Woodgate at Boro is a disaster waiting to happen. Heard him on the radio the other day saying he was going to bring about an attacking brand of football. Also adding he won't tolerate players being late for training. I had to switch off the wireless in the end as I was so petrified.

Gibson has gone down the cheapskate route. Has got 'Next stop League One' written all over it.

Fingers crossed ! Boro deserve nothing better

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes, because the real reason *little old Brighton* were playing *above their station* could only be Chris Hughton. Pat on the head - no right to complain about tactics.

However, when it comes to their own sleeping world-beating super club, perhaps a different story ?

Well I heard the comment directly from Cardiff and Huddersfield fans. So it wasn't with any degree of patronising intent.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I sincerely hope not - That's not to underestimate the fantastic job he did it Brighton, he was absolutely fundamental in your ascension to the PL, but if Lampard is to leave, appointing Hughton would be such a big change in direction. Part of Lampard's remit (as was Rowett's) was to bring a style of play that reflected the academy teams and therefore enabled him to bring through players from the academy (The Derby way, you may reacall) and where Rowett disregarded that, Lampard embraced it. I don't think Hughton can, or would be willing to, do that. As mentioned elsewhere, we had the best academy team in the country this season, 18 year old Jayden Bogle played 40+ games, we had another 18 year old on the bench in the play off final. Progress on that front must be continued.

I'm sure Hughton still has a future, I just hope it's not at Derby.

I think the issue is if you are a clubs board what do you care more about promotion or youth development? That’s not to say you cannot have both but Hughtons record of getting teams up with all the riches that comes with would trump any youth development philosophy in the short term (as it did at Brighton despite our academy investment)

However I would suggest the reason we have not seen hughton on any championship short lists would be more to do with him looking for a premier league job than being overlooked by the championship promotion chasers

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Pretty football or not.

One of those clubs will be Brighton & Hove FC. Many fans will be asking "Why did we ever sack a manager that never failed to keep us in the PL?"

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Chis Hughton still unemployed

Is it cos he is black ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here