Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] "non-standard" funeral attire

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Was hoping for a little advice.

I am attending a funeral of my cousin on Friday, he recently lost his battle with cancer.

He was a massive Brighton supporter and some of you may remember him from when the club kindly invited him for a visit to Lancing

[tweet]697789309466734594[/tweet]

Anyway, the family have asked for people to wear Brighton shirts to the funeral, this isn't a problem for me, but I'm not sure if I should still wear trousers and shoes, or will dark jeans and trainers be sufficient? I appreciate no one will be paying too much attention to what I am wearing, but I feel a little self-conscious if I turn up 'inappropriately' dressed.

Thoughts?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Based purely on your post, I’d be going in jeans and trainers.

Sorry for your loss.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Jeans and trainers would go better with an Albion shirt. Perhaps check with some others who've been invited so at least there will be two or three dressed similarly.

Sorry to hear of your loss

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sorry for your loss. I'd wear a suit and smart shoes, personally. Jeans and trainers wouldn't feel right to me in this situation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If the family want you to wear Brighton attire then why try and go semi formal? Non tatty jeans and unknackered trainers is the way to go imo.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm sure many of us on here remember welling up at the time when we watched that video.

To combine a degree of gravitas with the family's wishes, how about the black Albion shirt?

I'd go with suit trousers and black shoes to complete the sober Albion look.

As has been said, it's your support and presence there that matters.

Thoughts and condolences with the family at this time.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ive been to several Albion funerals (unfortunately) and where the family have said Albion shirts, I've worn neat jeans & the shoes I normally wear to football.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm sure many of us on here remember welling up at the time when we watched that video.

To combine a degree of gravitas with the family's wishes, how about the black Albion shirt?

I'd go with suit trousers and black shoes to complete the sober Albion look.

As has been said, it's your support and presence there that matters.

Thoughts and condolences with the family at this time.

People rarely wear black for funerals nowadays in my experience. Quite often a family will request wearing bright colours to celebrate the person's life.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Was hoping for a little advice.

I am attending a funeral of my cousin on Friday, he recently lost his battle with cancer.

He was a massive Brighton supporter and some of you may remember him from when the club kindly invited him for a visit to Lancing

[tweet]697789309466734594[/tweet]

Anyway, the family have asked for people to wear Brighton shirts to the funeral, this isn't a problem for me, but I'm not sure if I should still wear trousers and shoes, or will dark jeans and trainers be sufficient? I appreciate no one will be paying too much attention to what I am wearing, but I feel a little self-conscious if I turn up 'inappropriately' dressed.

Thoughts?

As you say, no one will be judging your attire at such a sad event; wear whatever you feel physically and psychologically comfortable with. Sorry to hear about your loss and hope the day goes as well as possible.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I quite like a t-shirt with a suit combo, so probably would go albion shirt with suit, but as others have said, personal choice for you really, no one is going to be judging anyone when it's been requested for non-confirming dress anyway.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I would echo what others are saying in to wear what you feel comfortable in. I'm a suit and black tie man for all funerals so would probably go for the suit option but no one should judge you for wearing jeans. That's their problem if they do.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hadn’t watched the video before what a great day out for the guy and his wife ...clearly meant so much .....its a celebration of life and they want it colourful ..so casual would be the gut instinct ..maybe not your football boots! Give him a good send off

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Watch the video of Michaels special day at the training ground if you’ve not seen. It’s Brilliant, lovely to see he had a dream come true. So very sorry for your family’s loss [MENTION=7271]Postman Pat[/MENTION].

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry for your loss. Wear what you want......if most are wearing Albion shirts they'll be informal I would think.

My sister passed away last year and explicitly said 'no dress code' for her funeral. We had everything from ripped jeans to 3 piece suits. Being there is a million times more important. Hope it all goes as well as it can.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
My family had a memorial lunch for my Dad at The Amex on Sunday following his passing last month. People wore whatver they wanted including plenty of Albion shirts on show. The important thing is that people have made the effort to be there, what people wear really is irrelevant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here