Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ski/Snowboarding 2019

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We are off to Kaprun on Friday great little resort. Another one bound by school holidays as I now have to take the children, flights to Salzburg were eye watering over 2K for the family so its flight to Stuttgart and a 4 hour drive not idea but the £1400 saving will go towards several beers on arrival.

Spent many a year going to France and although the actual skiing is awesome I just got bored off the minimal character and rather sterile atmosphere much prefer Switzerland and Austria as all round holiday venues and over the last couple of years the snow has been more than good enough.

We’ve saved huge money by booking last summer, for this Feb half term:
Gatwick to Hamburg (Easyjet), then Hamburg to Salzburg (Eurowings), all on the same day and at the hotel in good time. With a non rip-off taxi. I usually get a rental car, but the taxis this time are cheaper.

(We had 10 holidays in the same family friendly French resort, before finally taking the kids to Austria).

Last edited:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
We are off to Kaprun on Friday great little resort. Another one bound by school holidays as I now have to take the children, flights to Salzburg were eye watering over 2K for the family so its flight to Stuttgart and a 4 hour drive not idea but the £1400 saving will go towards several beers on arrival.

Spent many a year going to France and although the actual skiing is awesome I just got bored off the minimal character and rather sterile atmosphere much prefer Switzerland and Austria as all round holiday venues and over the last couple of years the snow has been more than good enough.

You’ll be able to try out the new gondola on Maiskogel. The only downside is that the Lederhosen apres-ski bar has had to make way for the new valley station.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I spend half the year in Austria and absolutely love the skiing, apres ski and lifestyle here. Price wise, food and drink on the mountains and in the resorts is considerably cheaper than France and Switzerland, other than perhaps in the Arlberg region which tends to be more expensive than the Tyrol and Salzburgerland regions. Also, Salzburg Airport has numerous flights from the U.K. and is very well connected to a huge number of ski resorts. And, as mentioned earlier, the snow has been great this year, although temperatures are set to rise massively towards the end of this week.

What does massively mean??!!! I’m going to Katschberg the week after next!!

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
What does massively mean??!!! I’m going to Katschberg the week after next!!

Daytime temperatures up to 10 degrees plus and wall to wall sunshine from this Friday onwards and continuing for a week. Ski early and stay high! If you go low, pick north facing slopes. On the plus side, and quoting from another forum, “Lunches outside! That's what skiing is all about!! Not fighting for tables with half the known world and their kiddies. Also, sun tans, cool shades, visibility, softshells and sundowners on the terrace. What's not to like?!”

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Is that the one in the wooden tent, if so a shame?

It is indeed. Some consolation is that the lift company have taken over the Maisi-alm across the road and turned part of it into an apres ski bar. It’s not the same though. Would now recommend the Off-Piste bar next to Kitsch & Bitter restaurant. Palettis is still great for pizza (if you can tolerate the smoking).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here