Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool's 3 shots on target was their 2nd lowest of the season, in the league

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A great job done.

Lazy by Ian Wright to criticise CH’s approach.

I thought so too given that it seemed to be a different approach with us defending a high line and pressing them rather than defending the eighteen yard box with 10 players and conceding all the possession and territory.

Had Gross not made that ridiculous and unnecessary challenge on Salah for the penalty who knows what might have happened.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought so too given that it seemed to be a different approach with us defending a high line and pressing them rather than defending the eighteen yard box with 10 players and conceding all the possession and territory.

Had Gross not made that ridiculous and unnecessary challenge on Salah for the penalty who knows what might have happened.

Dunk would have conceded it instead. :lol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we should have pressed Shaqiri by running at speed directly at him. A poor replacement for Couthinho.
Fabinho looked the business as a Lawrenson-style defender though.

Salah dived and it was not even an Equity dive.

You seem obsessed with 'shots on target'.

You can have a shot on target that is dollied into the keepers arms compared to a ferocious shot that hits the post. In your mind the dolly into the keepers arms is worth more than the shot onto the woodwork, even though that was the better chance. I think you should always look at chances overall as stats don't actually count what was or wasn't a dangerous attempt.

I believe shots that hit the woodwork are counted as off target which makes the stat even more meaningless.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I believe shots that hit the woodwork are counted as off target which makes the stat even more meaningless.

Well exactly. You could look at stats and someone hits the woodwork 3 times but only registered 12 shots off target. Would hardly be an indication of how close a side came to scoring.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well exactly. You could look at stats and someone hits the woodwork 3 times but only registered 12 shots off target. Would hardly be an indication of how close a side came to scoring.

Guess how many times the Albion have hit the woodwork, all season?

We are bottom of that table.

Last edited:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It was an ok result but the game was dire. If I was a neutral I would have been pissed off with Brighton for being so anti football.

I'm sure there's plenty of teams that could put 11 behind the ball and restrict Liverpool to a few shots.

Personally I would have preferred it if we had chucked the kitchen sink at them in the last 20 and risked losing 3-0

Before anyone has a pop at me I think we are still punching well above our weight and hughton is doing an amazing job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I enjoyed the match and our tactics were spot on , I liked the way we used the long ball so Liverpool could not pressure us in our half , we probably gave Liverpool one of their hardest matches of the season

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Great.

But we had zero shots on target at home. So hardly a stat to shout from the rooftops.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gross' shot was on target, if it had not hit the defenders leg it would have gone in, that is a fact as I saw it with my own eyes not on some stream somewhere

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tactics were OK. Formation was OK. Not sure about the team selection though, not hindsight, I thought the team was wrong before the game.

Even with the same squad players, I would have swapped it over, starting with Andone. The idea being to get Liverpool to be cautious about their full backs bombing forward.

Same at Old Trafford.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Gross' shot was on target, if it had not hit the defenders leg it would have gone in, that is a fact as I saw it with my own eyes not on some stream somewhere

I think that counts as blocked, 2 counted, like Locadia's goal bound shot on 13 minutes.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Tactics were OK. Formation was OK. Not sure about the team selection though, not hindsight, I thought tht team was wrong before the game.

Even with the same squad players, I would have swapped it over, starting with Andone.

It's a shame Bissouma was injured, as it would have been interesting to see:

1. If Hughton might have considered starting him instead of Gross (unlikely) and
2. How he would have performed in the game.

My ideal starting 11 has both Bissouma and Andone starting as it gives us much more pace.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It's a shame Bissouma was injured, as it would have been interesting to see:

1. If Hughton might have considered starting him instead of Gross (unlikely) and
2. How he would have performed in the game.

My ideal starting 11 has both Bissouma and Andone starting as it gives us much more pace.

My pre-match team selection had the forgotten man Schelotto on the right side of midfield (he is no good as a full back) and Bruno at right back. I would have taken a gamble and played Andone instead of Murray. Why Schelotto was needed was for his heading in defence in the absence of Murray.

In the middle of the first half, I would have instructed Solly March to press Shaqiri and harass him out of the game.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The fact that I left the game frustrated with the ref and that we did not get something from the game, tells me that the team played well and CH pretty much got the tactics correct. If as I suspected before the match we were 3 - 0 down by half time, by trying to attack them then the game would have been over. As it was I still had belief that we could nick something right up to the time the ref was time wasting all the 4 mins of stoppage time away. I don't care if it was boring for the neutral, they don't have to watch.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My pre-match team selection had the forgotten man Schelotto on the right side of midfield (he is no good as a full back) and Bruno at right back. I would have taken a gamble and played Andone instead of Murray. Why Schelotto was needed was for his heading in defence in the absence of Murray.

In the middle of the first half, I would have instructed Solly March to press Shaqiri and harass him out of the game.

This is simply outstanding! :clap2:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
#morewoodworkplease

Only twice this season, one by Murray and t'other by Ali J.

We shared the title with Watford but they doubled their tally within 3 minutes of the Not London Derby, on Saturday.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Great.

But we had zero shots on target at home. So hardly a stat to shout from the rooftops.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Genuinely don't know the answer to this, but what specifically constitutes a "shot on target"? Why would the PG shot from penalty spot area, blocked by Fabinho not count as "shot on target"?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think that counts as blocked, 2 counted, like Locadia's goal bound shot on 13 minutes.

Yes Locadia's was clearly going wide and we got a free corner for that one but I'm not bothered about the stats saying no shots on target as that is a complete distraction from the changes we did have for those who were not there

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here