Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Police in Croydon yesterday

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Any news about this filtered through from the club? Are they going to back the OB or the Albion fan who got mugged by those uniformed thugs?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No, they pay for the total cost of policing a fixture, whether that is inside, or kettling to and from a station. An average Premier League game is around £10-15k. West Ham v Spurs cost £149k!

No they don't - they only pay for policing on the clubs land. In the street and at stations is the Police's cost ( otherwise known as the taxpayer's cost ).

Threeagles

Dec 1, 2012
As a Palace fan that looks totally out of order and is not good to see.

I understand matches like Palace v Brighton have a reputation for trouble (not so much recently though) but to me I think some of the police(volunteers) see this as an opportunity to have a go themselves and use this as an excuse. I have seen similar treatment down your way too when we come down the Amex.

Sadly, the police will have their story lined up and he will be done for this. It happens all the time and is a joke. It is the one part of away games I hate and it incites trouble rather than stops it...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At the end of the day, wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to keep back 100 kids in black from one block of the Holmesdale end and let everybody go about their business of leaving the stadium!!!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sadly the Met are a law unto themselves. As others have said a solid back up story would have been concocted to cover all eventualities. Sadly Balkham will back this up as all stick together and PB will just ban for the sake of it.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Sadly the Met are a law unto themselves. As others have said a solid back up story would have been concocted to cover all eventualities. Sadly Balkham will back this up as all stick together and PB will just ban for the sake of it.

Sad to say I think you’re probably right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Why were these two fans in the middle of the police. Would like to see what went on before as it is strange where they are. However it does look to me that one police person pushes the blokes son and it kicks off from there.

Back to the 70's but not surprising as there is no respect shown to football fans, sure there were some idiots but not 3000.

What i will say to people is that I went by coach and had no trouble getting back to it through the police cordon though the police did manage to let about 20 palace fans down through the pavement where the coaches were parked.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Police will bullshit their way through this like they always do. It’s why the Hillsborough families are still awaiting justice. Courts will be scared shitless and pressurised to convict here and the CPS is the only hope for this guy. I doubt Barber will want to go against the police although the evidence is there for everyone to see.

Last edited:

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
The bloke in this video is a mate of mine. He understandably was not happy with the way the police were treating his son for no reason. Ended up arrested, charged with affray, spent today in hospital due to injuries caused by the police and with his season ticket taken away. Serious over reaction by the old bill and I really hope Paul Barber looks at this video before banning a bloke who was just trying to look after his son

Tell your mate to contact Amanda Jacks at Football Supporters Federation. Her contact details are on her twitter profile https://twitter.com/fsf_faircop?lang=en

Last edited:

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It's that left knee in the guy's neck that has me cringing. The whole weight of a riot officer's body (& equipment & armour) digging into the back of his head. I normally support the authority, because after all they are what keep us from descending into anarchy as a society.

But that's sick. And I note no perspective yet from our resident custodians of the law either.

You may find it sick but it is taught as a standard technique for restraint amongst police and security. His whole weight isn't on the fellas neck. It looks bad I agree but there are times when it's necessary.

From what I've seen on the video, this wasn't one of them.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why were these two fans in the middle of the police. Would like to see what went on before as it is strange where they are. However it does look to me that one police person pushes the blokes son and it kicks off from there.

Back to the 70's but not surprising as there is no respect shown to football fans, sure there were some idiots but not 3000.

What i will say to people is that I went by coach and had no trouble getting back to it through the police cordon though the police did manage to let about 20 palace fans down through the pavement where the coaches were parked.

This is why I take umbrage with Neville, Shearer and co all calling for draconian one size fits all measures to be taken. They fan the flames that everyone’s a hooligan, drunk if they’ve had half a shandy etc all of which means those in authority use proverbial sledgehammers all the time. I’m sick to death of the complete over reaction by the likes of, it’s NOTHING in the grand scale of things. And maybe if footballers weren’t so obscenely rich by rest of society standards, the sport wouldn’t have so much vitriol. As it is, FIFA, the FA, PL, PFA and almost every other governing body is so tainted with hypocrisy I cannot bear listening to their morale outrages on such incidents.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
When you go back to the children storming the turnstiles last season and letting off untold flares and fireworks nothing happened even though there was video footage. Did anyone actually get banned from smellhurst ?? Were charges raised by Balkers or PB press CP for anything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The fan needs to see it through to Crown Court, and see if the police can prove the alleged offence beyond reasonable doubt, with the defence team showing videos.

As others have said, there are similarities to the Met’s killing of the innocent newspaper seller Ian Tomlinson. A red-mist overreaction to a situation that was pretty much under control. Save the aggression for taking down London’s knife men.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Lodge a compaint to police complaints commission . Police wont have a leg to stand on .
I fully expect. Pb and Db to do sweet Fa which would be in line with there policy .remember the old bloke.getting thrown out for celebrating apparently been banned till end of.season . Not sure your going to get anywhere ....time to see if we are customers or supporters tothe club.
Yes to a collection for.his legal.fees and if its overturned give it to remf but i bet the club wont let you do it on there land so would have to be at train stations maybe?? Hope the guys better and i hope the copper is shitting him/herself that he/she could loose his and her job and pension ...The innocent guy could potentialy loose his so the same should apply to them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is why I take umbrage with Neville, Shearer and co all calling for draconian one size fits all measures to be taken. They fan the flames that everyone’s a hooligan, drunk if they’ve had half a shandy etc all of which means those in authority use proverbial sledgehammers all the time. I’m sick to death of the complete over reaction by the likes of, it’s NOTHING in the grand scale of things. And maybe if footballers weren’t so obscenely rich by rest of society standards, the sport wouldn’t have so much vitriol. As it is, FIFA, the FA, PL, PFA and almost every other governing body is so tainted with hypocrisy I cannot bear listening to their morale outrages on such incidents.

Isn't part of the problem the legacy of the behaviour of a minority of fans back in the 70s and 80s? Doesn't make it right but when you have a bunch of morons like the HF, without any Police presence then there could well have been trouble and personally, as I had my 14 year old daughter with me, I don't want that and am prepared to put up with a little bit of kettling.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
If this does go to court I suggest you do a crowd funding page or similar and I would happily contribute. I really hope this gets overturned and the fella gets his season ticket back. Good luck!

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
The reason I do not go, you should be able to watch a game of football without IDs and police marching you to sometimes where you don’t want to go. I have a mate in the Met (BHA fan), he loves Palace games as he says ‘double time and I get to smack a Palace fan, I love my Job’ think that sums that game up and the attitude of some of the Mets finest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here