Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Johnson

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
That isn't how the sex offenders register works. It isn't a big book at every police station that offenders turn up to sign each week, they normally have to report to their local station every year for updated photos etc.

He'll be released on license and will have certain restrictions placed on him, these may effect his ability to leave the country and he will have to report to a parole officer every couple of weeks. He will have to inform his parole officer and the police of any change of address etc, plans to travel abroad etc.

I cannot see any club at in this country taking him on especially with there being a lot of focus on Safeguarding in light of the cases against the likes of Barry Bennell etc.

Agree with pretty much all you say apart from the last sentence. The core duties of being a footballer don't include contact with children. Bennell was a youth coach so there is a clear issue. Johnson could quite easily be kept away from Christmas hospital visits etc to comply with any rules around being a sex offender.

That said, I dont think any club will take him on in the UK. What happened in the Ched Evans scenario will happen again, except Johnson won't have the "I'm maintaining my innocence and appealing my conviction" argument.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Disagree about taking him for the Albion but do agree his case wasn’t as horrific as many cases - ie 15 not 8, didn’t have sex with her or oral sex etc just kissed her, denies it so not 100% true etc etc - I’m not being a nonce apologist in the slightest before anyone throws that one in there.

Although this girl wasn't as young as some have been lets not forget he used his position as a footballer to groom and engage this girl in underage sexual activity. He certainly wouldn't have been as likely to be in a position to do this had he been Adam Johnson mobile phone salesman or some other "normal job". He then tried to appeal his conviction, twice, moaned that his sentence was overly harsh and he'd been jailed for longer because he was famous/a footballer (it's called an aggravating circumstance). Let's not forget that the original offences occurred while his girlfriend was pregnant with his child. He comes across as someone who isn't showing remorse for his crime at all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He should join Ched Evans at Fleetwood, maybe go out for a beer after the match?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
The world has changed a lot since Hughes and McCormack left prison; in today’s age of social media outrage I’m not sure they would find another club. A few clubs tried to sign Ched Evans before his conviction was quashed however the media, sponsors and the general public made that impossible.

I think the context of the crime is important. As it happens, our current manager at Grimsby was once convicted of a child sex crime and had to sign the sex offenders register as a result. What happened however was that he met a girl, who claimed to be 19, in a student bar and had sex with her. After having sex, she revealed that she was in fact 15 and attempted to extort money from him - all of which was accepted by the court and yet the conviction was handed out regardless.

All but a tiny, tiny minority of our support accepted this was a ‘could happen to anyone’ type scenario and he was and remains a very popular choice with the fans.

Johnson’s offences took place over a sustained period of time, fully in the knowledge that the girl he was meeting, kissing and discussing sex acts with was an underage schoolgirl. That’s very different and it’s hard to make a case for him not being a ‘paedophile’. I honestly don’t think a club in this country will go near him, and even if they do, outside pressures will prevent anything from happening. Any kind of life in the UK, let alone in the football world, will be very difficult for him.

I’m sure he’ll end up going to a country where his crime is perceived as little more than a misdemeanour once he’s legally able to do so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Johnson’s offences took place over a sustained period of time, fully in the knowledge that the girl he was meeting, kissing and discussing sex acts with was an underage schoolgirl. That’s very different and it’s hard to make a case for him not being a ‘paedophile’. I honestly don’t think a club in this country will go near him, and even if they do, outside pressures will prevent anything from happening. Any kind of life in the UK, let alone in the football world, will be very difficult for him.

I’m sure he’ll end up going to a country where his crime is perceived as little more than a misdemeanour once he’s legally able to do so.

Also there is a danger of Johnson possibly offending again. He actively groomed a child, when he could of had his pick of gold diggers at night clubs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At least we know who he WON'T be joining - Young Boys.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Lee Hughes served 3 years for causing death by dangerous driving - he fled the scene so as to avoid being breathalised and handed himself in a couple of days later. His WBA career was over, but he resumed his playing career at Oldham, then Port Vale, then Notts County.

Similarly a goalie (who's name escapes me) caused the death of two young boys through dangerous driving. He went back to Plymouth I believe, after he'd served his time.

OK, these two examples aren't nonces, but players do resume careers albeit usually at a lower level than before their offence took place. And if they have served their time for the crime, then in a civilised society that aims to rehabilitate offenders, should they not be allowed to resume their trade ? That said, you're probably right in that it would be a brave club to take on the likes of Adam Johnson.

Marcos Alonso also killed a girl when he crashed his car whilst drunk. Plays for ****ing Chelsea.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm going to side with those who say there is absolutely no chance of Adam Johnson ever getting another club in the football league.

How would that club ever attract families? What would the sponsors say? What extra child protection safeguards would they have to have to have a sex offender there? Would he be able to walk out holding the mascot's hand?

He will be the forbidden fruit for relegation threatened lower league chairmen. It would always be possibility to sign a star for low wages who can get you out of trouble in the league ..... but the downsides will never be worth it.

I make no judgments as to the right or wrongs. It will never happen though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
She did consent to sex and was not out of it - like vomiting and in no state to say no.

However, she was 15 (probably looked a lot older) and he cheated on his pregnant girlfriend so I think he should go abroad to France or possibly Spain and come back to sign on the sex offender's register every week.

France or Sweden might be better destinations than Spain as their age of consent is 15. Therefore, fans of the team he signs for might not be bothered too much about the noncing he has done here.

Whichever way you look at it, it would be good if he was not living in our country anymore.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
He won’t sign for a top team!

Some things can’t be forgiven and this is one.

Too much baggage for the team and think how awkward holding the mascots hand would be!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's served his time and lets be honest. His case was bad but its not so horrific he cant come back to live a normal life again. He was more guilty of being a dickhead

Disagree about taking him for the Albion but do agree his case wasn’t as horrific as many cases - ie 15 not 8, didn’t have sex with her or oral sex etc just kissed her, denies it so not 100% true etc etc - I’m not being a nonce apologist in the slightest before anyone throws that one in there.
Not at all sure that I'd want to see him at The Albion, but I do agree with the two posts quoted - he committed a crime and was rightly sent to prison for an appropriate time - that is, a length of sentence appropriate to the gravity of his crime, which was at the low end of the sex crime spectrum.

In spite of what has been said on one or two posts on here, we have no idea whether he has felt remorse for his crime, whether he has realised and recognised how wrong it was, how much of a reformed character he is. We have no idea how much his conviction and spell in prison have changed him. I think he will get taken on by a club, probably, as has been said, at a lower level - and he will face considerable abuse - but I think it is right that having done his time he should have the chance to resume his career.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In spite of what has been said on one or two posts on here, we have no idea whether he has felt remorse for his crime, whether he has realised and recognised how wrong it was, how much of a reformed character he is. We have no idea how much his conviction and spell in prison have changed him.

I think we'll get a better idea of if he is even going to try to get a contract with an at least decent level team by how many exclusive interviews he gives when he gets out to at least put on a show of remorse to try to pave the way for a return on the 'served my time, learnt my lesson' basis.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think we'll get a better idea of if he is even going to try to get a contract with an at least decent level team by how many exclusive interviews he gives when he gets out to at least put on a show of remorse to try to pave the way for a return on the 'served my time, learnt my lesson' basis.
True. If he sells his story to the Daily Mail or Hello or whatever, that would be a bit of an own goal for him, I think.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He's 31 now, been away for 2 years so can't imagine he is in great shape and that athletic. Surely no Prem club will touch him. Same age as Samir Nasri who had a year ban but was 'free' and still able to train, good diet etc and took him ages to get back up to speed at West Ham and still not really there.

Some northern FL club will take a chance I am sure but as a 'tricky winger' can't help but feel 31 might be a bit too old for any decent level

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Adam Johnson got put in prison for "attempting" to do what David Bowie "did"

Let that sink in
.....and what Bill Wyman did (with a 13 year old at that).

Come to think of it, back in the groupies era in the 60s and 70s, the likes of the Beatles, the Stones, Led Zeppelin and loads of others probably had a lot of happy and willing 14 and 15 year olds (all claiming to be 18, of course). Presumably that's a lot of respectable grannies in their 60s out there now with memories of what the did as young teenagers.......

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Marcos Alonso also killed a girl when he crashed his car whilst drunk. Plays for ****ing Chelsea.

Hadn't heard this until you said it. Crashed his car (in Spain) while drunk and doing 70 in a 30 limit, killing his passenger :ohmy:

Received a 3yr+ driving ban and a £61k fine. Staggering, even by the relatively lenient standards of the UK penalties for such things. How on earth has he avoided prison for that??

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hadn't heard this until you said it. Crashed his car (in Spain) while drunk and doing 70 in a 30 limit, killing his passenger :ohmy:

Received a 3yr+ driving ban and a £61k fine. Staggering, even by the relatively lenient standards of the UK penalties for such things. How on earth has he avoided prison for that??

It happend in Spain? ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here