Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter's players

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why budget signings, we are not in league 1. We still received over 100 million pounds for last year and will have more this coming season....To stay competitive all squads need to strengthen appropriately. I feel we will target 3-5 quality players to improve team. This linked with improved fitness/confidence and resurgence of some players recently signed could/should make a huge difference ( a bit like when Poyet first joined).
Emphasis will definitely be young and British talented players coming in.
It needs to be strengthening of the team that takes priority-not just adding to the squad which has been the case recently.

We now have a new man in place who is hopefully reviewing last season's games (poor bar steward). He is clearly an intelligent man with enough time to make the necessary changes so it will be interesting to see how his assessment compares to ours.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming season now.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What U12 level. Trust the player to do the right thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are talking about footballers. If we could trust players to do the right thing there wouldn't be a need for so many coaches at every club.

Watching the top teams (yes, I know, compare like for like etc.) they have loads of apparent natural talent but they are also clearly well drilled and coached. Guardiola (again, I know) was still coaching Sterling after they'd collected their medals at Wembley. Hughton and his team would never have done that had we actually won a trophy.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
My biggest hope with Potter coming in is that maybe he can get something out of Locadia and Jahanbakhsh. Over £30M on those 2 and we've not seen much of a return on that outlay.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Because the Albion had over half the pitch to counter attack into, and couldnt do it because Murray was on the pitch.

The counter attacking pass couldnt be played because frankly City would have laughed at us.
There was one occasion where Ali had the ball, on the wing, and were it not for the fact the ball was on his wrong foot!!! the pass was on.

Unsurprisingly it didnt happen because he was the furthest forward by 20 or 30 yards.

Now Ali didnt get into that position because he outpaced the opposition, he was passed into it.

I expect to see a bit more of that from 4 or 5 players instead of just 1 or 2 occasionally.

But once in that position...... you cannot break quickly without pace.

Re Murray- lack of pace

AJ is unlikely to go round anyone and without explosive pace (different type of pace [emoji23]).

I agree re passing, but at this level athleticism is everything and that includes high intensity and pace.....
You cannot effectively counter without it...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We are talking about footballers. If we could trust players to do the right thing there wouldn't be a need for so many coaches at every club.

Watching the top teams (yes, I know, compare like for like etc.) they have loads of apparent natural talent but they are also clearly well drilled and coached. Guardiola (again, I know) was still coaching Sterling after they'd collected their medals at Wembley. Hughton and his team would never have done that had we actually won a trophy.

I don’t know what level you played at, but as I progressed the level and complexity of sessions differed the further you progressed. I have no doubt, the type of coaching Pep, Chris or even Potter does will be different to Worthing or Woking, and that is because the players are at a different level.

I doubt Pep was coaching him on basics like overlaps, he was coaching him on minor things to improve his all-round play.

You play what you see. I cannot for one moment hold Hughton responsible for Montoya shutting down Knockaert’s space, though Murray, Duffy and Stephens told him though.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Because the Albion had over half the pitch to counter attack into, and couldnt do it because Murray was on the pitch.

The counter attacking pass couldnt be played because frankly City would have laughed at us.
There was one occasion where Ali had the ball, on the wing, and were it not for the fact the ball was on his wrong foot!!! the pass was on.

Unsurprisingly it didnt happen because he was the furthest forward by 20 or 30 yards.

Now Ali didnt get into that position because he outpaced the opposition, he was passed into it.

I expect to see a bit more of that from 4 or 5 players instead of just 1 or 2 occasionally.

Very good points and this is why I am giving all the players a clean slate especially Ali who has been written off by some.

With Man City Sterling leads the line upfront and he will pester the defence for 90 mins, but Murray is only good to chase for about 20 mins. Of course Stirling is not a fair comparison to Murray but he does the work of two players and he makes it harder for the opposition to play out from the back and Murray makes it easier for the opposition to play out.

Really looking forward to next season to see if Potter really is a wizard or if we end up being much of the same, like not passing when we should, passing when we shouldn't, passing behind a player and passing to the opposition.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I doubt Pep was coaching him on basics like overlaps, he was coaching him on minor things to improve his all-round play.

That is exactly my point. The fact is, after the final whistle of their final game of the season Guardiola was still coaching. On the sidelines at The Amex the week before, 3-1 to them, coasting to the win and he was still coaching some of the best players in the world. Keeping them focused. He never stops coaching.

Conversely, Chris Hughton used to stand on the touchline for most of the 90 minutes with his hands in his pockets. I know who is more likely to get the best out of players...Again, all down to opinions. I heard so many people, home and away, commenting on how poorly coached we looked. No goals in over 12 hours of football seems to back that up.

Good luck to Hughton wherever he ends up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don’t know what level you played at, but as I progressed the level and complexity of sessions differed the further you progressed. I have no doubt, the type of coaching Pep, Chris or even Potter does will be different to Worthing or Woking, and that is because the players are at a different level.

You play what you see. I cannot for one moment hold Hughton responsible for Montoya shutting down Knockaert’s space, though Murray, Duffy and Stephens told him though.

Oh and despite all my bibbling on about this.

I reserve the right to moan like a drain when the defence is cut open because:-

"Nobody was back there helping them out". :lol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That is exactly my point. The fact is, after the final whistle of their final game of the season Guardiola was still coaching. On the sidelines at The Amex the week before, 3-1 to them, coasting to the win and he was still coaching some of the best players in the world. Keeping them focused. He never stops coaching.

Conversely, Chris Hughton used to stand on the touchline for most of the 90 minutes with his hands in his pockets. I know who is more likely to get the best out of players.

Not sure many other coaches adopt the Pep approach, including Klopp and Mourinho (not that I’ve seen).

But I do take your point.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Why budget signings, we are not in league 1. We still received over 100 million pounds for last year and will have more this coming season....To stay competitive all squads need to strengthen appropriately. I feel we will target 3-5 quality players to improve team. This linked with improved fitness/confidence and resurgence of some players recently signed could/should make a huge difference ( a bit like when Poyet first joined).
Emphasis will definitely be young and British talented players coming in.

It is a strange one how people are perceiving we are on a budget and have to work with the players we have.

Last I checked we are still in the PL where not spending huge sums results in near certain relegation.

Pushing Hughton out has to be a statement of ambition, not one of reining in spending. 2-3 quality signings for the first team ready to jump straight in, minimum.

If Potter can work his magic with the rest of the underperforming squad then all the better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really, better than our top goalscorer? How many did he get for QPR in a division below us? (Genuine question, I haven’t got a clue)

Shirley anyone coached by Schteve gets a 'get out of jail free' card.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But their manager doesnt want to sign him. I think that he will go back to Spain or Israel.

I don't know, but Potter will be looking at everyone and will work with their strengths. He may see something. All I know is that he is an energetic team player, and I have always liked him. I don't think he ever let us down.

The manager didn't even keep himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here