Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Assuming we appoint Graham Potter, your gut feeling on next season

How will Potter do next season?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Obviously way too early to make a considered call. Player signings and sales will probably give us a better idea what to expect, BUT as of today how do you think he’ll do?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Better performances, more enjoyable to watch. 15th placed finish with one or two humbling defeats and unexpected wins. Something like that anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we can be *more Bournemouth than Burnley* I'd be very happy.

We'll walk before we can run though, so I suspect a 15th-16th place finish.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Another question might be: who would you most trust to keep us in the Premier League - Potter or Hughton? I think this is a huge gamble by TB. Despite coming close to going down, I think CH was unlucky with dud signings and injuries. And in the end he just about got the job done. He is tactically adept at nullifying the opposition. I think we will be on the end of a few 6-0's ourselves next season and could well end up doing a Fulham - trying to play expansive football but getting picked off by teams that are simply better than us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another question might be: who would you most trust to keep us in the Premier League - Potter or Hughton? I think this is a huge gamble by TB. Despite coming close to going down, I think CH was unlucky with dud signings and injuries. And in the end he just about got the job done. He is tactically adept at nullifying the opposition. I think we will be on the end of a few 6-0's ourselves next season and could well end up doing a Fulham - trying to play expansive football but getting picked off by teams that are simply better than us.
Potter.

Hughton was in a downward spiral. A great 4+ years, a top manager, the right time to go before his legacy was tainted.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
This is our Frank De Boer moment. We are doing a lot more than just changing our manager, we are changing our style of play aswell as hopefully giving youth a bit more opportunity. We have to be patient and back him through what I suspect will be a tough start to the season.

Basically if this time next year we finish 17th but are talking about our better style of play and the young players who have progressed this season then I would consider it a success.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Personally I think Hughton was taking us down if he stayed with his one dimensional defensive tactics and had been found out by the other premier league managers. So whilst I still expect to see us in a struggle next season I am expecting us to at least have a go at teams and the quality of our attacking play to improve vastly.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
More attacking meaning more joy against lower teams, more stuffings against Top 6 and occasionally Bournemouth type capitulations. But primarily more tactical fluidity and chances for U23 on the bench. Will definitely move the club on in terms of progression towards the U23 plan Bloom favours. But likely with a bigger risk of losing PL status.

Whilst I am very disappointed for Chris, this appointment completes the plan that the club have been trying to put in place for a while. Like everything Bloom does, it is a calculated gamble looking at the long term. We now have some maturing U23 players bought for relatively small amounts, a moneyball style recruitment setup looking for value/potential rather than names and a young, tactically astute English manager. The problem would seem to have been that we have building up this approach with a manager who errs on the side of caution. A few of the potential based signings haven't blossomed so CH went with his default position. Potter would seem to be the type of manager would would change things up in this situation and take some risks - maybe with youth. Given the outlook for Swansea at the start of last season, he would appear to have been relatively successful but this would seem to be a fairly new approach for the PL.

As I say, whilst very sad for Chris, I see where the club are trying to go and I applaud the vision. It is refreshing to try this with all of the other methods being used. Palace throw money at "names" leaving them very vulnerable on wages. Wolves seem to be bending the rules with knockdown stars. Fulham went for the scatter gun transfer policy. Huddersfield and Cardiff went with what they knew with a few low key signings. Burnley sign players that will help their route 1 style. We would appear to be trying a version of the Bournemouth policy - presumably without the massive spend.

I think this season will be make or break for this methodology. If we survive then the culture will have moved on quite quickly. Go down and the rumblings will make it hard to carry on in the same vein. Once thing Potter does bring that CH didn't is the high chance of being poached if he is successful.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you just left option 2 as.. A breath of fresh air... I'd vote for that. As it is, I've no idea how well we'll do, so I've left it.

I like the uncertainty. I'm more excited already than I ever was last season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Potter to me seems adaptable with the tools he has at his disposal.

He likes a passing game with an eye on counter attacking for sure but he seems to look at the players he has and get the best out of them.

He has worked with young, quick footballers this season at Swansea so has used them in a way that he feels gets the best out of them.

He will be walking into a slightly different squad here, and whilst I’m sure he footballing principles for passing and counter attacking will influence his approach, im sure he will have us playing in a way that uses our strengths and limits exposing our weaknesses.

I don’t believe for a second he will have us playing expansive attacking football leaving us exposed.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Haven’t a clue. Gut says either 15th place and an enjoyable season with more goals and more exciting football, or relegated in March with the lowest points tally ever.

Hopefully the former, but I wouldn’t rule out the latter.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As far as I'm aware the defense wasn't sacked along with Hughton so therefore as we witnessed when we did show some more intent last season, we didn't start leaking goals from all directions. I expect us to be "in" more games next season and not make every team we play look like World beaters.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Voted other.

I hope there will be some pragmatism from him.
I think he is a very intelligent manager and I suspect he will realise, like Chris, that we will need a very strong defensive base.
He should know that we have the players to provide that.

The Frank de Boer example should loom large in any new manager's mind in regards to changing the way a Premier League team plays.
The expansive play that many on here want, may well take longer than they expect.

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Don't believe we will suddenly become an amazing team overnight. However I believe he will correct some things wrong with the way we play/are set up and will make the club better for his tenure here.

Still believe we will be close to the relegation zone for most of the season but it will be better football to watch.

My ideal would be 'safe before April' but will be satisfied with seeing our academy start to pay off, seeing our recent signings given the chance to show what they are really worth and not walking out of the stadium feeling we didn't even try.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You know, Tony knows, good business.

I’m backing GPot to do well, top 10 beckons.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Unless we have new players with a lot more pace than the present team I can't see a huge difference. Pressure to finish 17th or better will override the desire to be like Fulham last season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here