Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City referred to financial body for FFP

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Experience suggests that it would be extremely ballsy for the governing body to apply any sort of sanction which would be appealed against. City have the resources of a state to fight legal battles, UEFA don't, so they will have to either back down or risk existential threat

They’ve enforced transfer bans against the mighty Barca and Chelsea, so they can and will see it through.

ManC can only take it to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, whatever the size of their oil reserves.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The difference is that Man U have a sustainable business model. They are the closest run thing to a proper business we see in football.

The problem I see with FFP is that football clubs are not run under the same model as anything even remotely approaching a proper business. City are clearly falsifying their top line because of who owns them and even then player purchases and wages which lead to ultimate losses are underwritten by the bottomless pit of oil money which sustains them.

Any normal company which runs at operating loss wouldn’t last 5 minutes. So while I’m not a fan of City buying success it’s only what other clubs do, only to a smaller degree. If TB had pushed his directors loans into external debt, there’s no way we would have been able to service them.

Can’t see the point of any FFP rules to be honest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal are also run well, with all commercial income earned legitimately from arms length unconnected third parties. All three are profitable, with positive net cash inflows and very manageable debt.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal are also run well, with all commercial income earned legitimately from arms length unconnected third parties. All three are profitable, with positive net cash inflows and very manageable debt.

Fair enough, but they aren’t the norm in the Premier League.

I’m just not convinced we should be pretending football clubs are proper businesses

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough, but they aren’t the norm in the Premier League.

I’m just not convinced we should be pretending football clubs are proper businesses

Some clubs are run like proper business, whereas many others (including in the Championship) aren’t, buying and paying players they strictly can’t afford (all paid for by huge subsidies from owners).

Findon Seagull

Dec 24, 2015
Let’s get one thing clear here. FFP was brought in to protect the elite clubs from the likes of psg and Manchester City.

Firstly every “big” club at some point has had outside backing bankrolling them to first division titles or premier league titles, Take Liverpool for instance.

Liverpool most successful period was 20 odd year period from the mid 60’s thanks in no small part to the cash from the Moores family generated by the then popular Littlewoods Football Pools which the Moores family owned, the Moores family were the majority share holders in Liverpool FC at the time, which enabled them to buy the best players of the day. In fact they paid 2 then English record fees for players and for the time paid fortunes no one else could afford. “King” Kenny Dalglish cost a then record £440,000 from Celtic, they paid £350,000 for Souness and £330,000 for Alan Kennedy again these were up near the English leagues record fees paid at that time.

Success obviously garners more worldwide support which in turn produces more commercial opportunities which gives a bigger revenue and so on and son, my point being no football teams success has ever been organic or without a benefactor at some point.

Manchester City’s record fee is mahrez at £60 millions, off the top of my head Liverpool, Manchester United, psg, Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Chelsea have all spent more than that on their record signings whilst Manchester City’s wage bill is the 3rd highest in the league behind Manchester United and Liverpool.

This is a clear attack organised by the elite clubs to try and stop city’s progrss. The truth is yes city have had incredible investment but that is what is required if you are going to compete consistently at the top of the table. Sadly FFP now means another city will never happen again and the current top 6 will never be ousted,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let’s get one thing clear here. FFP was brought in to protect the elite clubs from the likes of psg and Manchester City.

Firstly every “big” club at some point has had outside backing bankrolling them to first division titles or premier league titles, Take Liverpool for instance.

Liverpool most successful period was 20 odd year period from the mid 60’s thanks in no small part to the cash from the Moores family generated by the then popular Littlewoods Football Pools which the Moores family owned, the Moores family were the majority share holders in Liverpool FC at the time, which enabled them to buy the best players of the day. In fact they paid 2 then English record fees for players and for the time paid fortunes no one else could afford. “King” Kenny Dalglish cost a then record £440,000 from Celtic, they paid £350,000 for Souness and £330,000 for Alan Kennedy again these were up near the English leagues record fees paid at that time.

Success obviously garners more worldwide support which in turn produces more commercial opportunities which gives a bigger revenue and so on and son, my point being no football teams success has ever been organic or without a benefactor at some point.

Manchester City’s record fee is mahrez at £60 millions, off the top of my head Liverpool, Manchester United, psg, Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Chelsea have all spent more than that on their record signings whilst Manchester City’s wage bill is the 3rd highest in the league behind Manchester United and Liverpool.

This is a clear attack organised by the elite clubs to try and stop city’s progrss. The truth is yes city have had incredible investment but that is what is required if you are going to compete consistently at the top of the table. Sadly FFP now means another city will never happen again and the current top 6 will never be ousted,

Hmmm....Everton were the richest club in England when I was a lad. This was because of John Moores, and Littlewood's pools. He became chairman in 1960. They weren't exactly the most dominant club side in England, though. They were on a par with today's, errr, Everton (till the mid 80s. For a bit. A tiny bit).

The Moores family took over Liverpool in 1991. By then they had been the most successful English club (in England and Europe) for a very long time. Without an unfair secret mega fund of dosh. They were simply a relentlessly driven club, with an internal conveyor belt of managers, and a massive partizan support. All the moons aligned for them.

I understand your narrative, but I don't think it is correct. There is no elite of magesterial clubs who have invented 'fair play' in order to push back the arrivistes. Citeh have been caught fair and square. Whether they get defenestrated for it or just bottom smacked is anyone's guess.

I love a good conspiracy but, unlike the former poster who I won't name, I don't actually believe in them.

Findon Seagull

Dec 24, 2015
Hmmm....Everton were the richest club in England when I was a lad. This was because of John Moores, and Littlewood's pools. He became chairman in 1960. They weren't exactly the most dominant club side in England, though. They were on a par with today's, errr, Everton (till the mid 80s. For a bit. A tiny bit).

The Moores family took over Liverpool in 1991. By then they had been the most successful English club (in England and Europe) for a very long time. Without an unfair secret mega fund of dosh. They were simply a relentlessly driven club, with an internal conveyor belt of managers, and a massive partizan support. All the moons aligned for them.

I understand your narrative, but I don't think it is correct. There is no elite of magesterial clubs who have invented 'fair play' in order to push back the arrivistes. Citeh have been caught fair and square. Whether they get defenestrated for it or just bottom smacked is anyone's guess.

I love a good conspiracy but, unlike the former poster who I won't name, I don't actually believe in them.

Just read this article by Martin Samuel and you will see that that is exactly what has happened
.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-serving-scam-called-Financial-Fair-Play.html

And it’s not exactly fair and square the information was obtained by illegal hacking which in itself was odd seeing as no other club had similar happen to them!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Man City’s £700m to 800m squad is the costliest in world football history. The cost of a single player within that is not a decisive factor. Giving them 25 excellent footballers and countless trophies. BBC jokingly summed it up on Sunday “The Brighton fans must be crying, to see De Bruyne coming on as a sub”. They’re not just competing, they’re beating everyone else to all the English trophies.

In the 70’s and 80’s Spurs and ManU often spent on loads of internationals, Bryan Robson was a record at £1.5m in 1981. With variously Forest, Ipswich, QPR, Villa, Everton it was an exciting and competitive era for English football.

Interestingly, the investigations into ManC are coming from Germany (zero influence from ManU, Arsenal, etc). Quite possibly fuelled by the German club model, being blown out of the water by ManC and PSG.

FFP seems, by hook or crook, to be ignored. So perhaps there is space for other clubs to muscle their way in like PSG, with mysteriously high commercial income. Who would’ve thought 5 years ago that Spurs would join the party. Few talked about the top 6 then, instead it was assumed that Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal and a.n.other had it sown up forever.

Findon Seagull

Dec 24, 2015
Man City’s £700m to 800m squad is the costliest in world football history. The cost of a single player within that is not a decisive factor. Giving them 25 excellent footballers and countless trophies. BBC jokingly summed it up on Sunday “The Brighton fans must be crying, to see De Bruyne coming on as a sub”. They’re not just competing, they’re beating everyone else to all the English trophies.

In the 70’s and 80’s Spurs and ManU often spent on loads of internationals, Bryan Robson was a record at £1.5m in 1981. With variously Forest, Ipswich, QPR, Villa, Everton it was an exciting and competitive era for English football.

Interestingly, the investigations into ManC are coming from Germany (zero influence from ManU, Arsenal, etc). Quite possibly fuelled by the German club model, being blown out of the water by ManC and PSG.

FFP seems, by hook or crook, to be ignored. So perhaps there is space for other clubs to muscle their way in like PSG, with mysteriously high commercial income. Who would’ve thought 5 years ago that Spurs would join the party. Few talked about the top 6 then, instead it was assumed that Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal and a.n.other had it sown up forever.

Firstly Manchester United’s squad is actually the most costly squad of all time but that’s besides the point, Manchester City aren’t winning everything, yes they are having a great period under pep but before he arrived they where winning on average 1 trophy a season. They are fulled by Bayern Munich as that article suggests as they are now unable to bully the other German sides to get their best players on the cheap which has made that league incredibly dull and boring like Italy, and Scotland. For example previously de bruyne and sane would both be playing for Munich now.

Just having a glimpse at the title winners over that period you mentioned and Liverpool where champions 10 times in a 20 year period, Everton, forest: Leeds, arsenal, villa and derby where the other winners, hardly any different to how it is now with United arsenal Leicester city Chelsea all having won it last 20 years or so .

The reason city are so dominate is because they have the best manager, with the best recruitment team and together they have built an incredible team. Just like Liverpool did in the 70s and 80s and United did in the 90s and 00s. As I say before pep arrived Mancini won 1 title and 1 fa cup and pellegrini won 1 title and 2 league cups.

Once pep leaves city will not be the same force, pep is the main difference if he was united manager for instance they would be champions in the next few years for sure. The guy has changed English football for the better.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just read this article by Martin Samuel and you will see that that is exactly what has happened
.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-serving-scam-called-Financial-Fair-Play.html

And it’s not exactly fair and square the information was obtained by illegal hacking which in itself was odd seeing as no other club had similar happen to them!

That article is a load of old bollocks. It certainly does not support the 'argument' that 'established' Euro clubs 'invented' FFP to **** over the newly rich. It does not even attempt to say this let alone offer evidence. And it has no bearing on my riff about the Moores and the scousers.

And read this: "FFP having worked its magic to the benefit of clubs such as Bayern Munich and Juventus, their leagues are dying. The motivation behind the European super league is that competitions and clubs on mainland Europe cannot compete with the Premier League. They are desperate for new revenue streams and do not care who or what they trample on to get them."

This is not even in English. It is dribble. Not even drivel. and....oh....it is the Mail online.

Go take a shower - you smell dirty. Dirty.

:facepalm::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Firstly Manchester United’s squad is actually the most costly squad of all time but that’s besides the point, Manchester City aren’t winning everything, yes they are having a great period under pep but before he arrived they where winning on average 1 trophy a season. They are fulled by Bayern Munich as that article suggests as they are now unable to bully the other German sides to get their best players on the cheap which has made that league incredibly dull and boring like Italy, and Scotland. For example previously de bruyne and sane would both be playing for Munich now.

Just having a glimpse at the title winners over that period you mentioned and Liverpool where champions 10 times in a 20 year period, Everton, forest: Leeds, arsenal, villa and derby where the other winners, hardly any different to how it is now with United arsenal Leicester city Chelsea all having won it last 20 years or so .

The reason city are so dominate is because they have the best manager, with the best recruitment team and together they have built an incredible team. Just like Liverpool did in the 70s and 80s and United did in the 90s and 00s. As I say before pep arrived Mancini won 1 title and 1 fa cup and pellegrini won 1 title and 2 league cups.

Once pep leaves city will not be the same force, pep is the main difference if he was united manager for instance they would be champions in the next few years for sure. The guy has changed English football for the bette
r.

This, in combat fatigues, nice gloves and a mole skin jock strap.

Plus a large amount of money, too.

But as ManU have shown, shitting money out the urethra does not guarantee world domination.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's a bit harsh on Mancini. He won City's first prem title. He also bought David Silva, Aguero and Toure into the club.

As for Pellegrini was only there 2 seasons before halfway through the third he knew Pep would be taking over. Hardly an ideal way to manage. He may have been there longer had City not been aware that Pep was going to be leaving Bayern!!

Pep is almost certainly the best manager around but he is reaping the benefits of the foundations laid before he arrived.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That article is a load of old bollocks. It certainly does not support the 'argument' that 'established' Euro clubs 'invented' FFP to **** over the newly rich. It does not even attempt to say this let alone offer evidence. And it has no bearing on my riff about the Moores and the scousers.

And read this: "FFP having worked its magic to the benefit of clubs such as Bayern Munich and Juventus, their leagues are dying. The motivation behind the European super league is that competitions and clubs on mainland Europe cannot compete with the Premier League. They are desperate for new revenue streams and do not care who or what they trample on to get them."

This is not even in English. It is dribble. Not even drivel. and....oh....it is the Mail online.

Go take a shower - you smell dirty. Dirty.

:facepalm::lolol:

ManC (or for any major club, plus Wolves) articles in the media split as follow:

1. Sports hacks are sycophantic, gushing, in awe. Being anything otherwise would give the hack no access to players, behind the scenes, the directors, the elite training centre. The extreme example of this was Fergie who banned any writer who asked the wrong question.

2. Investigative and financial journalists, who cover the corruption, smoke and mirrors over sponsorship deals with connected parties, and murderous regimes back home. Not just german media outlets, the BBC and ‘broadsheets’ here have a great record too.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

There’s one sentence in that article that sums up my attitude to FFP across all the Leagues - “Provided owner investment is a gift, not a loan, and does not have to be paid back, what is the issue?“

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here