Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton leaves with immediate effect

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Big difference: Albion didn't sack him mid-season.
Big difference? 1 class manager sacked by 3 different clubs when he’s delivered what has been asked of him! outcome exactly the same, timing is irrelevant, our club has now become “just another club” can’t see it any other way at the moment I’m afraid.
#Together :sick:

Or 3 clubs got it right?

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
What we need to do is take notice of the new blueprint for playing in the PL, as superbly demonstrated by City and Liverpool and aspired to, at varying levels, by others. Quick, simple accurate football. The ability to move the ball upfield quickly and efficiently. A higher level of accuracy in passing and ball retention.

Give me one billion pounds + and I’ll sort it for you!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Some forget how those 3 wins, which turned out vital, v Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle, were rather edging on the fortunate side. Alas after those wins in a short time, the 'we might come Top 10' merchants were out in force.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I felt like this when Poyet was sacked. I just couldn't get on board with Garcia at all, didn't enjoy the following season one bit, started switching off from it. Then Sami came in, a breath of fresh air that didn't last very long at all, then Chris - who I was completely un-interested by at first, but what a man and what a ride for the last four years! He's left us in a good place though so I have no fears of a Garcia-type disappointment this time round.

I hope Chris can reflect on a job very well done.

Similar with me. Not just getting rid of Gus, but the disgracefuil way we went about it. Trying to force him to walk, and using Oatway and Taricco to try and force his hand. Oatway was NEVER given a reason for his suspension - classy, eh? Certainly felt hollow with Garcia, and Sami drive me away. I was actually really on board with the Hughton appointment, and I was perked up from that moment.

Whatever the appointment, we are now in danger of entering that annual cycle of either seeing your manager good enough to be poached, or he'll probably get sacked. You carry that off for a couple of years, but that instability eventually catches up with you.

We may very well look back on a couple of season of never being in the relegation zone, and QF/SF appearances in the FA Cup and wonder what on Earth we had to complain about.

Like you I hope that Chris looks back on his time with us as a HUGE success, and harbors no bitterness. As for us, we need ti brace ourselves for being the tam that everyone wants to see go down next year, and if we do, it will not be met with sympathy, we'll get laughter, and fans all over telling us that we brought it on ourselves..

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Like many on here I was a bit surprised after the words eminating from Barber last week (sounded to me like they were planning for next season with Chris in charge)

Feel sad for Chris as he was truly one of the good guys in football and always acted with dignity although I do partly blame him for the signings under his stewardship. Yes, the recruitment team have a lot to answer for but he would undoubtedly had some significant say in those put forward as possible signings. Many have said the tactics deployed have not aided several of the new players to show their true worth, but then why sign them if he was going to play them out of position or in a formation that didn't suit?

The best example is Locadia. We have largely played 1 striker in our 2 years in the Prem and Locadia is brought in for significant money (to us anyway) whose game does not suit being a 'target' man. He openly stated himself he was not a good header of the ball, so why sign him? I can understand what they saw in Ali J (top scorer in the Dutch league last season) so that was an understandable signing, even though it hasn't worked out for player or club this season, but I can see why they signed him.

Thanks Chris for all you did in your time with us and for getting us and keeping us in the Premier League. A sad day all round but hopefully a fresh impetus will be brought in with whoever they have in mind to replace him. Good luck to whoever that is.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Sad decision, will always be an Albion legend, but the time was probably right. You only have to take one look at our recent form to see that there was something deeply wrong with the set up. Was not expecting this at all however...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Some forget how those 3 wins, which turned out vital, v Wolves, West Ham and Newcastle, were rather edging on the fortunate side. Alas after those wins in a short time, the 'we might come Top 10' merchants were out in force.

Others also forget how those equally vital losses to Cardiff x 2 & Burnley were largely due to awful refereeing decisions against us.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
To ‘sack’ Chris is a disgrace after all he has done for us.
By all accounts he is one of the most decent people in football and if the club wanted a change it should have been done in a much better way than this.

That said and done things on the pitch have been poor for too long now so I can understand the move, just not the manner it was done.

Chris deserved better than being sacked.

If we end up with someone who can genuinely take us up a level then that’s obviously great but talk of Graham Potter is baffling.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
More evidence of what a nonsense #together was.

Why? We stuck with it until the end of the season, that seems fairly #together to me. If we had sacked him 4 games ago, I'd agree with your comment

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I think ultimately we need to take the emotion out of this one.

CH is a class act, and obviously a well respected top guy. No one wants to see someone like that sacked and in many ways people don’t want to see people like that leave their football club.

However, Bloom has made the decision that 3 wins in 23 and only 2 wins in 2019 is not good enough.

People can argue with that... they can blame the recruitment team or other people in the club for the shortcomings this season but at the end of the day we have not only gone backwards this season but become a boring side to watch who if it continues as it is will struggle going forward.

Exactly

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Interesting wording in the article in the Argus.

Said about Bloom not wanting to invest in CH for another transfer window. Some on here would have you believe CH had little input on transfers.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
What we need to do is take notice of the new blueprint for playing in the PL, as superbly demonstrated by City and Liverpool and aspired to, at varying levels, by others. Quick, simple accurate football. The ability to move the ball upfield quickly and efficiently. A higher level of accuracy in passing and ball retention.

Good idea

Now for some £40m players

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here