Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Snowflake Aussies

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
We have a top grade bowling machine at our cricket club, and a couple of weeks ago I was feeding deliveries for a net session. For a giggle, we cranked it up to 96mph and sent a few down into an empty net. Short ones, beamers, all sorts. It was bl00dy frightening, terrifying. In loading the deliveries myself, I felt like I was firing a high powered rifle. There seems absolutely no time to react at all, these top level batters have something like 0.65 seconds to select and execute the correct shot at this pace - or get out of the way.

Reminds me of when the bell-end that is Piers Morgan was' invited' into the nets by Brett Lee. The link (if it works) is well worth looking at to see how a 'civilian' copes with really quick bowling. In fact I ended up having a bit more respect for Morgan than Lee - who deliberately bowled no-balls in order to make it even harder. I think it might have cured Morgan from labelling England's batsman as gutless and to me I think the 'snowflake banter' is a bit off-the-mark. Fast bowling can be lethal. Having watched the game (and played a bit) in the pre-helmet era, and seen guys hit - and crumple - I lookback in some amazement that more weren't really badly injured. Watching Smith collapse when hit was a serious moment and anyone who booed him when he returned to the crease might benefit from a session in the nets with Brett Lee.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...&ts=1566305978919&nclidts=1566305978&tsms=919

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
But you do understand people who booo Smith because he is a cheat. And do you understand people who have little sympathy for Smith being struck precisely where he was, because protection for that area was developed 5 years ago, and has since been the norm, but he chose not to use it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Reminds me of when the bell-end that is Piers Morgan was' invited' into the nets by Brett Lee. The link (if it works) is well worth looking at to see how a 'civilian' copes with really quick bowling. In fact I ended up having a bit more respect for Morgan than Lee - who deliberately bowled no-balls in order to make it even harder.
I really dislike Piers, but what Brett Lee did there was totally unacceptable, he's a ****ing ****. Maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised, given the team he came from.

Watching Smith collapse when hit was a serious moment and anyone who booed him when he returned to the crease might benefit from a session in the nets with Brett Lee.
Eh? He's booed because of sandpaper-gate. What's that got to do with him getting hit?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Went on Thursday and Cummins bowled bounced after bouncer at us.

Was there then too, ever ball was aimed at the head, and fast. It was effective bowling as they were hard to get out of the way of, and very hard to play. Got him a few wickets too. Archer has done nothing wrong, in fact he has done everything perfectly. It is sad that Smith got hot on the neck and no one wants to see that happen, but that could have happened with any of Cummin's deliveries too.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Was there then too, ever ball was aimed at the head, and fast. It was effective bowling as they were hard to get out of the way of, and very hard to play. Got him a few wickets too. Archer has done nothing wrong, in fact he has done everything perfectly. It is sad that Smith got hot on the neck and no one wants to see that happen, but that could have happened with any of Cummin's deliveries too.

Good post. And, I’m sorry if this offends anyone but it is my personal view. I actually did want to see Smith decked. For the very reason that bodyline bowling is a legitimate allowable tactic, and everything else had failed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Watching Smith collapse when hit was a serious moment and anyone who booed him when he returned to the crease might benefit from a session in the nets with Brett Lee.

You've completely misunderstood why he was being booed. It had absolutely ZERO to do with Archer's bowling.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
But you do understand people who booo Smith because he is a cheat. And do you understand people who have little sympathy for Smith being struck precisely where he was, because protection for that area was developed 5 years ago, and has since been the norm, but he chose not to use it?

If that's what rocks people's boats then so be it. I think the majority at Lord's showed a rather different face of English cricket, and one which I prefer. A few boos might well have been booze.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But if he'd been carted off to hospital and was still detained there?

The whole thread of them being snowflakes was based on their whinging over our tactics to bounce them, despite them having no problem doing it to us. It didn't start as a Smith injury.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
After all Cricket Australia weren't bigging up their bowling attacks "frightening bouncer barrage" against England, about 18 months ago

Anyone old enough like me to see the battering Lilee and Thompson where delighted to give us all those years ago is enjoying every ball that has the Aussie batsmen reeling.
At least they’ve got helmets.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anyone old enough like me to see the battering Lilee and Thompson where delighted to give us all those years ago is enjoying every ball that has the Aussie batsmen reeling.
At least they’ve got helmets.

Absolutely, and Lillee and Thompson weren't adverse to a bit of cheating and sledging either.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The whole thread of them being snowflakes was based on their whinging over our tactics to bounce them, despite them having no problem doing it to us. It didn't start as a Smith injury.

Indeed. I accept that many of us are guilty of double-standards. Among these, though, might be squeaky-clean Mike Atherton's ball tampering exploits in 1984. (I'm not saying there's an equivalence between his antics and the disgraceful ones of Smith and friends - but neither was their an equivalence in sanction - a £2000 fine for our Mike.)

Pompous git I may be but if you see bad sportsmanship (including ball tampering and intimidatory bowling) you call it out. If some low-life Aussies can't do that to their own, there's no reason for us to stoop to their level. Banter is great, but there's always a 'line' - and we draw it in different places. Wanting to see a guy take a head shot from a 90mph ball is on the wrong side of mine. I'll get my coat...…………..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Indeed. I accept that many of us are guilty of double-standards. Among these, though, might be squeaky-clean Mike Atherton's ball tampering exploits in 1984. (I'm not saying there's an equivalence between his antics and the disgraceful ones of Smith and friends - but neither was their an equivalence in sanction - a £2000 fine for our Mike.)

Definitely wasn't 1984.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Pompous git I may be but if you see bad sportsmanship (including ball tampering and intimidatory bowling) you call it out. If some low-life Aussies can't do that to their own, there's no reason for us to stoop to their level. Banter is great, but there's always a 'line' - and we draw it in different places. Wanting to see a guy take a head shot from a 90mph ball is on the wrong side of mine. I'll get my coat...…………..

On your way out have a look at the rules. When it’s banned then I’ll be behind you, until then the Aussies are complete and utter hypocrites. **** em

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005

And that, I honestly believe, is where you’ve got things slightly out of focus. You clearly associate intimidatory bowling with bad sportsmanship. It isn’t. It is legitimate, accepted, understood, and a central part of the game. It’s just that we haven’t been very good at this bit of the game since Devon Malcolm. And now we’re celebrating it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here