Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Submission by Michel Houellebecq. Very controversial French literary figure and this book - a satire on a France in which the Muslim Brotherhood gets into power - has ruffled many feathers. It was a bit odd reading the bit about his fictional French election results just as the actual European Parliament results were filtering through. I almost expected to hear that the Muslim Brotherhood had made in-roads...…

Funnily enough I started - and finished! - reading Houellebecq's 'Lanzarote' yesterday. Quite an inconsequential piece of fluff weighing in at a mere 87 pages of not even densely packed text. Pamphlet literature as one of his critics put it. Was expecting it to be far more satisfying, especially as I really enjoyed his earlier work 'Whatever'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
51KThP3h67L._SX342_.jpg

I've read it before. Literally has me doubled up with laughter, to the point where it gets embarrassing.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Reaching page 126 of Inside Out by Nick Mason yesterday, and the recording of ASOS, I had an NSC lightbulb moment with them utilising an [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]. As for the book, I've started skipping pages. That Barrett famously showing up at Abbey Road during the recording of DSOTM was deemed worthy of barely half a page I found a bit crap.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reaching page 126 of Inside Out by Nick Mason yesterday, and the recording of ASOS, I had an NSC lightbulb moment with them utilising an [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]. As for the book, I've started skipping pages. That Barrett famously showing up at Abbey Road during the recording of DSOTM was deemed worthy of barely half a page I found a bit crap.

I thought it was during the recording of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Did you skip that page? :wink:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
USFL.jpg

Only just started it, but have heard about the story before. Fascinating to see how some otherwise solid businessmen just make a dogs dinner of a new business venture. They simply see teh NFL (in this case) the money it makes, and just bowl in with a "how hard can it be" attitude.

Some absolute MADNESS.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I thought it was during the recording of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Did you skip that page? :wink:

::thumbsup: Absolutely right! Doh. And although oft suggested that the title track was written about Syd, the way Mason recounts it suggests otherwise. He does zip through the iconic albums a bit fast for my liking, the only thing keeping me reading is the impending bust up with the 'insufferable' Waters, which is hopefully only pages away. :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Absolute bucket list instrument to own. They're bloody expensive though.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
William Boyd - A Dream Lover

Bit of a challenge this one as all short stories which I sometimes find a bit boring

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Just finished the well known novel Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John le Carre, an impulse buy at the airport.

Absolutely brilliant.

Although I now know the twists and ending, I want to buy the BBC (Alec Guinness) series DVD ... I was a bit too young when it was aired.

Unfortunately the TV series does look rather dated now but I cannot recommend the (fairly) recent film version with Gary Oldman highly enough. A spellbinding 3 hour ish watch.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Narconomics by Tom Wainwright - a bit light but interesting/different take on drug cartels using basic economics - also being enjoying Mick Herons Slow Horses stories

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Manhatten Beach by Jennifer Egan...received mucho critical acclaim and describes itself thus:

Manhattan Beach is a deft, dazzling, propulsive exploration of a transformative moment in the lives and identities of women and men, of America and the world.

I'm about a third of the way in and it's as boring as shit and is careening all over the place with little to no rhyme or reason. I'll persevere though, it must get better.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’m reading a preview copy of “Europe United” by Matt Walker. He spent one year travelling and watching a top flight football match in all 55 UEFA nations. Halfway through, and so far it’s quite fascinating, lots of talk about the people he met, travelling conditions and details about the cities and grounds he visited. It comes out on 8th August, I’d imagine many on here would enjoy it.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Brighton and Hove Albion and the First World War, by Tim Carder.

Fascinating bit of social history, locally and globally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here